Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anyone else got water in the driver side floor pan and cant find the source

Portisz4

Post by Portisz4 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:39 pm

I am having trouble finding a leak in a 2016 Z4. Far short of taking the whole car apart and dragging the carpet out and using it like that I am out of ideas. I have checked the seals , the doors , the roof. And still its getting in. I cant tell if its road water or rain water but I am guessing road water would be filthy. There was a tiny random spot of water when using the hosepipe that dribbled in in a random place on a seam under the seat but this is too much. It cant be that
I am stumped. Any one else had any odd / unsolvable leaks?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:39 pm

When i have need to remove some door rubber seal and lift carpet i saw water staining the underlay where the kick plate pushes down on the rubber door trim forward. I would have to check i think near by is a vent hole to let air out of the rubber seal as door closes. I wondered if water was coming from there to stain the foam backing of carpet.
l.jpg
l.jpg (70.53 KiB) Viewed 169 times

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:46 pm

It is unlikely at this time of year, but check your a/c drain tube if you leave the a/c on auto. IIRC the drain is a tube behind the glovebox area. If it has come off, or blocked, the water (condensate) will run into the footwell.

It is unlikely, as said, as the a/c won't be making much water at this time of year, and won't run very often anyway.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!