Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake pad service light reset

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
TheOneAndOnlyTinTin

Post by TheOneAndOnlyTinTin » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:18 pm

I've started getting a warning for brake pads servicing coming on when i start up. Doesn't happen every time, but started a week or so ago.

I don't 'think' the pads need replacing but will check them over at the weekend if i get a moment.

However, checking the service indicator it shows 1100miles remaining. I tried resetting this but i can't get it to reset (the method works for all the other service indicators)

Is the miles remaining actually calculated from the sensor reading or should it reset?

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:13 pm

If the pad sensor has been triggered by burning through the elements then it needs a new sensor to reset it..check your pads..and sensor
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

TheOneAndOnlyTinTin

Post by TheOneAndOnlyTinTin » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:27 pm

Thanks...will check when i get a bit of time off work!

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:12 am

You may also need to disengage the handbrake when resetting the indicator
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Jasonn

Post by Jasonn » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:03 am

I had exactly the same a while back, didn't always come on, loads of wear visible on the rear pads.

Sometimes it appeared if I'd parked with two wheels on the kerb.

It was a duff rear brake sensor even though it hadn't worn at all, looked fine

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:12 am

TheOneAndOnlyTinTin wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:18 pm Is the miles remaining actually calculated from the sensor reading or should it reset?
The pad sensor and 'computer' are not linked. The computer mileage 'guess' for pads is a pre-programmed generic estimate and uses mileage of the car and other driving data to give an idea.
The sensors are physical which make a circuit when they come into contact with the disc, so are your 'last line of defence' as it were.

Always find it best to ignore the computer and disconnect the sensors (but keep an eye on pad wear). More trouble than they are worth IMO.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!