Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Reprogram Radio

Col_B

Reprogram Radio

Post by Col_B » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:14 pm

I am reposting this from http://www.bimmersport.co.nz as I found it very useful and I hope others do too (I have a Japanese imported Z4 and the radio wouldn't tune above BBC Radio 2).

There are more than just the frequency settings inside here too like TP volume +/-.

Factory fitted BMW radios from around 2000 onwards have a 'world tuner' inside them. The same radio can be used anywhere in the world.

The radio can be programmed to operate in JAPAN mode (FM = 70-90), in OCEANIA or EUROPE mode (FM=87.5-108), they also do a USA and CANADA mode.

BMWs imported from Japan have their radios set to JAPAN mode (wonder why?)

These can be readily re-programmed to NZ frequencies as follows:

1. Switch on radio
2. Within 10 seconds, press and hold down the 'm' button until the serial number appears (takes around 10secs) to enter the radio's service menu.
3. Use the + or - buttons to cycle through the menu settings until you see AREA JAPAN or just JAPAN (varies a bit depending on radio)
4. Use the 1...6 buttons to select either OCEANIA (or OCE) or EUROPE - both are valid settings for New Zealand - see below for differences.
5. Switch radio off to store the change

Voila! Your radio has now bee reprogrammed to receive NZ FM frequencies!
Also, the cool RDS features will now be available.

Differences between OCEANIA and EUROPE modes on an E46 Business RDS radio (other radios may vary slightly):

a) EUROPE has LW, MW and FM. OCEANIA has AM and FM only.

OCEANIA shows ST for a FM stereo station; EUROPE doesn't show anything for stereo or mono FM stations.

c) EUROPE has the softkeys set to RDS and TP; OCEANIA has RDS and PTY

Which ever one you choose - OCEANIA or EUROPE - is up to you, they both work.
Z4 2.5i Auto '03, Toledoblau, Beige Oregon leather, Jap Import, Xenon, 108, elec folding mirrors, heated seats
Mods - Aux in, Cruise Control, LED side-lights, Stubby

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Reprogram Radio

Post by gannet » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:26 pm

good info :thumbsup:
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Jonkenben

Reprogram Radio

Post by Jonkenben » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:44 am

Hi. I realise this is an old thread, but did not want to make a new one. I have read through all the threads I could find in this subject. However I have not managed to find the answer in looking for. I wish to change the radio frequency from Japan to Oceania. The radio in the car is the sat nav version with the flip up screen. The actual radio does not have a lcd screen or a 'm' button. Am I right in thinking that this radio needs to be reprogrammed by a dealer as the above method will not work on this type of radio? There was one thread where a poster showed the exact same radio as the one in my car and they mentioned that they had managed to change the region to Oceania but i cannot find they way. Thanks for your help