Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Convertible top roof marks.??

Discussing the current generation Z4
BigDave

Post by BigDave » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:12 pm

Hi folks.
Just wondering if anybody else has issues with marks on their fabric roof..

Mine is the Frozen Orange car, with an anthracite roof.

I had contemplated getting one of the refurb kits [Renovo] that are widely available to clean, re colour, and then re proof the roof, but i havnt found one in anthracite.
I have used a blue one on one of my previous cars to good effect. So i know they work well.

Anybody have any ideas how i can reduce the folding marks on the roof,, see pics.
Attachments
DSC_8164.JPG
DSC_8164.JPG (267.54 KiB) Viewed 324 times
DSC_8166.JPG
DSC_8166.JPG (336.64 KiB) Viewed 324 times
DSC_8165.JPG
DSC_8165.JPG (239.51 KiB) Viewed 324 times

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:43 pm

It's always been something that showsup, I get it on my E85 as well and it annoys me at times, especially as the Roof fabric was renew before.

I find valet pro and/or Renovi kits work well,in conjunction with a Horses hair type brush for application etc,then I dry it with an air blower/air dry vac and that usually makes an improvement..... until the next time I have the roof down fir any length of time.
Unfortunately haven't found any ways to get rid of them completely or minimise them during use
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

ToddG

Post by ToddG » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:33 pm

Don't fold it down wet.
I have had 2 previous cabrios (Porsche) and both had marks on the roof fabric. It is a reality with soft tops.
Buy one off the dealer showroom floor and the roof is badly creased from being stowed. The fabric does stretch out after a while, but crease marks will always be there if you drive with the top down often. Frayed bits from chafing (shouldn't happen, but it does) and be removed by one of those lint/fluff 'shavers'. I have always used OEM fabric top cleaner/conditioner every 3-4 washes, with no obvious difference to the appearance.
If it's any consolation, you will be the only one that looks at it that closely.

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:33 pm

The only thing I don't like about the G29.... the roof will never be as nice as the E89

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:01 pm

Not folding the roof down when its wet or damp is good advice although slightly silly as its rare that in the UK we can use them when its not been damp 😂

This is what causes it to mark, wear and sag.

ToddG

Post by ToddG » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:18 pm

tomscott wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:01 pm Not folding the roof down when its wet or damp is good advice although slightly silly as its rare that in the UK we can use them when its not been damp
You are right. Perhaps I should have said try not to store it down when wet (like when parked/overnight).

deltasierra

Post by deltasierra » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:35 pm

No definitely don’t store the car with the roof down in a garage wet or dry

BigDave

Post by BigDave » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:39 am

Thanks folks for the words of wisdom.

I have never left the roof folded down for long periods.

The roof always gets put back up after every drive... :driving: :driving:

And the car lives in a dry garage, when not in use... :thumbsup:

If the roof was black ide have no issues getting one of the re-colouring kits from Renovo. But it'd look a bit wrong on a anthracite roof...

Just wondered if anybody had, had a similar issue with there Z4 roof.

I have had a number of convertibles, and each time I have managed to deal with the marking / folding issues.