Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Re Non starter ( Now Fixed !!!)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
w1ndsurfnut

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:34 pm

So a few months back my son brings the z4 back with a cracked expansion vessel. It's auto 2.5L. so pushed it about 10 m with car in neutral ( didn't want to run it with no fluid.) Waited for parts etc . Did the fix. Now it is not starting. Battery is good. Car lights up the dash but no noises from the starter. Not even a click from the starter motor. Just about to run drags but hoping it is not some weird thing where the EWS( is that right ) unit does not recognise the key. Any thoughts. Bit strange as this car has always fired up with no issue. Thanks in advance .Paul
Last edited by w1ndsurfnut on Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Re Non starter

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:43 pm

From experience, the EWS stops the fuel pump running but still allows the engine to crank.
I assume you have done the usual 'percussive adjustment' of the starter to see if it will free it off?
Still thinking starter motor first though.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

colb

Re Non starter

Post by colb » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:48 pm

Starter motors fail without any advance warning, happened to me. A few clouts with a hammer did bring it back to life but it died after a few test starts. Replaced it with an RTX Starter from Carparts4less and that has worked faultlessly since.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

w1ndsurfnut

Re Non starter

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:56 pm

Appreciate the quick response guys. Thanks. Will update later..

w1ndsurfnut

Re Non starter

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:04 pm

Update. Took the starter out and bench tested it. All ok. Put it back in the car. No start but this might be because my battery voltage was only just above 10 volts. Still didn't get any clicking though from the starter. Can help thinking something weird has happened when the battery went flat while waiting for the radiator parts.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Re Non starter

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:22 pm

Bench test may not be reliable. In the car the solenoid uses a small voltage to engage the pinion, then the full voltage whacks in to spin it. On a bench you have no resistance in the pinion.
Just saying don’t discount the starter
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

w1ndsurfnut

Re Non starter

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:33 pm

Update. Help needed Urgent as I have a French MOT due on Wednesday. I hear what you are saying Snuff zed, but I am getting no click of the solenoid. So further tests today comparing my 2 cars. End result is when the ignition I turned to start the car I have no voltage on the solenoid wire. The Large cable has permanent 12v on it. No voltage on turn of key on small wire to soloniod. other car starts and obvs I have voltage on there on start. Ive check what I think is the right fuses or any that could be associated with start. No blown fuses. Would really appreciate some ideas. Is this a weird alarm disable problem do you think or am I over thinking it. Not sure what to do now and MOT booked for Tuesday.FFS :headbang:

Lytesben

Re Non starter

Post by Lytesben » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:38 pm

Have you considered the ignition switch? Might be worth a look?

w1ndsurfnut

Re Non starter

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:40 pm

Lytesben wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:38 pm Have you considered the ignition switch? Might be worth a look?
Im beginning to think this might be my problem. Just trying to figure out testing for this. Thanks Lytesben.

w1ndsurfnut

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:38 pm

So as some of you suspected. It was the ignition switch. Took one out of the working Z4 and switched it. Fired up first time. Thanks for the comments and the help. A happy Paul from Cognac, S W France.

Lytesben

Post by Lytesben » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:05 pm

w1ndsurfnut wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:38 pm So as some of you suspected. It was the ignition switch. Took one out of the working Z4 and switched it. Fired up first time. Thanks for the comments and the help. A happy Paul from Cognac, S W France.
Oh good, glad you got it sorted. I had an inkling it might have been that :thumbsup: