Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Member Seeking Advice on Z4 Purchase

First port of call for new members
Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:29 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:27 pm
Fred Smith wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:27 pm Surely you NEED to get the E86 Coupe or E89 with hard top if you are using it daily in the UK?
I daily an 04 plate 2.2 roadster. Went through the winter with no issues at all. No leaks, no damp anywhere.
Not quite sure the thinking of why you need a metal roof but I'm here to say you don't need it, the proper roadster version is just fine.
It's not refined, but it is quiet enough and for a 'sports' car it is actually quite comfortable.
If you're worried about winter use, fear not! The heater is so good that if you do decide to drive in shorts you'll need to turn it down to prevent scorching of the skin on your left leg!
For me - someone who hasn't got garage space or experience of a convertible - the security (from crime and weather) of a solid roof is all but essential as a daily car. You are right that its doable, whether it is right for OP, who knows?

deltasierra

Post by deltasierra » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:14 am

The E85 2 litre is very much the bargain basement Z4, the engine has its problems too, as you have £8+ and intend to use as a daily drive an E89 is a better bet. As others have said they are not as “sporting” but still a nice sports car with decent performance, autos are no real disadvantage particularly nice in town and in traffic.

Yellow46

Post by Yellow46 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:03 am

Thanks, everyone, for the very useful tips and advice. I now realize how little I know about Z4s in general, as I've just begun my hunt. I think I need to do a bit more studying and reading through the forum.

Regarding some of your questions, here are the key points for me:

I'm looking for a car that I can keep for the long haul, hopefully for the next 10 years.
It must be reliable for long trips, including journeys abroad of around 2000 miles round trip. However, I can afford to park it for a few days when maintenance is needed, as I have motorbikes for daily commuting.
Comfort, speed, and MPG are not top priorities.
Insurance prices between 2.0 and 2.5 are comparable, so I'm not overly concerned.
I have a garage at home, so it will always be parked in a safe and dry place.
While I've never done DIY on cars, I'm familiar with motorbikes and can handle basic tasks.
I plan to test drive both models and see which one I fall in love with.

Currently, I'm eyeing two ads that are well under my budget. I'm considering saving some money (2-3k) to take them to a good garage and give them a second life.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... de=YO105LY

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 24&fromsra

Thanks again for all your help!

coldel

Post by coldel » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:16 am

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:27 pm
Fred Smith wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:27 pm Surely you NEED to get the E86 Coupe or E89 with hard top if you are using it daily in the UK?
I daily an 04 plate 2.2 roadster. Went through the winter with no issues at all. No leaks, no damp anywhere.
Not quite sure the thinking of why you need a metal roof but I'm here to say you don't need it, the proper roadster version is just fine.
It's not refined, but it is quiet enough and for a 'sports' car it is actually quite comfortable.
If you're worried about winter use, fear not! The heater is so good that if you do decide to drive in shorts you'll need to turn it down to prevent scorching of the skin on your left leg!
Echo all this, drove my E85 roof down when it was 8 degrees C out a couple of weeks back. Heated seats and blowers on 28 (or whatever the highest number is) and I was in a happy bubble of hot air even at motorway speeds.

My roof is absolutely fine, completely water proof minimal noise and no problems.
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:33 am

As said, try both the E85 and E89 and see which one floats your boat.

Another thing to bear in mind with the E89 is the roof is very complex and can go wrong. Finding someone who knows how to fix them can be tricky (and expensive). There is a wealth of knowledge on the forum regarding the roofs, so some faults are an easy DIY fix, some not so much.

The N52 engines (2.5l & 3l) do seem to be pretty reliable if looked after and can handle big miles.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:47 pm

Yellow46 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:03 am Thanks, everyone, for the very useful tips and advice. I now realize how little I know about Z4s in general, as I've just begun my hunt. I think I need to do a bit more studying and reading through the forum.

Regarding some of your questions, here are the key points for me:

I'm looking for a car that I can keep for the long haul, hopefully for the next 10 years.
It must be reliable for long trips, including journeys abroad of around 2000 miles round trip. However, I can afford to park it for a few days when maintenance is needed, as I have motorbikes for daily commuting.
Comfort, speed, and MPG are not top priorities.
Insurance prices between 2.0 and 2.5 are comparable, so I'm not overly concerned.
I have a garage at home, so it will always be parked in a safe and dry place.
While I've never done DIY on cars, I'm familiar with motorbikes and can handle basic tasks.
I plan to test drive both models and see which one I fall in love with.

Currently, I'm eyeing two ads that are well under my budget. I'm considering saving some money (2-3k) to take them to a good garage and give them a second life.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... de=YO105LY

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 24&fromsra

Thanks again for all your help!
It sounds to me like a more modern E89 might be the best option for you, but equally the older ones seem capable of being plenty reliable enough if you maintain them.

Consider the 3.0L engine - and at the very least compared insurance price on 3.0L vs 2.0 and 2.5 - you might be surprised.

PointedMarlin

Post by PointedMarlin » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:20 pm

Where are you based?

Might be an owner or 2 close by who can show you an example

I own an e89 & had a Quick Look at the Autotrader links you posted - so far as I could see the e89 had no idrive or heated seats

Might be worth compiling a needs vs wants list as well to help you narrow down the search

Yellow46

Post by Yellow46 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:28 pm

PointedMarlin,
I appreciate your suggestion! Thank you for taking a quick look at the Autotrader links I posted. I hadn't considered heated seats, but that's definitely something worth thinking about. It's helpful to have insights from an owner like yourself. I'm based in York, so if there are any owners nearby who could show me an example, that would be fantastic.
The only thing I would love to have are leather interiors and sport seats; apart from that, reliability is the only thing I really care about.