Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

So it begins!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Trumpetdude

So it begins!

Post by Trumpetdude » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:45 pm

It begins! Vanos x 2 done, check out the vid to see the state of the 2nd / lower vanos 🤮. Still got an engine flush and oil change to do buuuuuuuut! Locking wheelnuts and no wheel nut key put an and to that. I was intending on draining the oil whilst the front was up to free the brakes so it's off to soft play with the kids.. Thankfully, BMW Edinburgh are getting me a replacement key for next to nothing tomorrow - hoping it's a match to what's on there.. They look original.

Car is booked in for Monday for an MoT and I'm away all weekend - I'm hoping the caliper swap O/S front will be straight forward tomorrow. Concerns about the drivers door being stuck disappeared when it popped open as is should!
Attachments
20240409_104423.jpg
20240409_104423.jpg (182.53 KiB) Viewed 558 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

So it begins!

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:50 pm

Trumpetdude wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:45 pm It begins! Vanos x 2 done, check out the vid to see the state of the 2nd / lower vanos 🤮. Still got an engine flush and oil change to do buuuuuuuut! Locking wheelnuts and no wheel nut key put an and to that. I was intending on draining the oil whilst the front was up to free the brakes so it's off to soft play with the kids.. Thankfully, BMW Edinburgh are getting me a replacement key for next to nothing tomorrow - hoping it's a match to what's on there.. They look original.

Car is booked in for Monday for an MoT and I'm away all weekend - I'm hoping the caliper swap O/S front will be straight forward tomorrow. Concerns about the drivers door being stuck disappeared when it popped open as is should!
I'm not sure if the N46 is exactly the same vanos set up as the N52? At first glance it seems to be a 2/3 scale version. If so then get those Non Return Valves out of the side of the block. (See Project Spa). They are supposed to prevent oil draining away from the vanos units, and incorporate a fine filter. My ones were minging!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Trumpetdude

So it begins!

Post by Trumpetdude » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:55 pm

I'm looking forward to least getting it moving freely and hoping so much that the manifold is fine. I've got no emissions light on do taking that as a +. I think it needs a really good run and I'll probably give it another interim service and change the oil level sensor (2F9E)...
I also need to get to the bottom of the P1129 as there's not a lot of info on it out there.

Will check out Project Spa!

Trumpetdude

So it begins!

Post by Trumpetdude » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:17 pm

This poor Z hasn't had a lot of cuddles in its life. I think it's sat out in rain since it's last MoT over a year ago. Both front calipers weren't just siezed, the pistons were rusted, they looked like they'd been at the bottom of the sea,obviously scorched too.

Upon trying to do the oil change, the service hatched watch srmcrewed shut with with weird self tappers and a a cable tie just for luck.. Worse than that, the sump plug is just spinning 😭.

So, here's the plan.
1. Finish fitting new front calipers and pads, brake bleed and then check rear calipers and pads, (not going in with high hopes).
2. Put everything back together and get the car up on ramps, way more secure than axle stands to address the sump.

Question time. What to do about the sump?

I've noted that the sump gasket is a bit weepy, no surprise there.

Plan 2.
My Oil level sensor is throwing an occasional code, so:

1. Removed the engine tray.
2. Remove the Oil Level Sensor - a messy affair with the oil in - for inspection and also draining the oil in the engine.
3. Remove and replace sump, gasket and potentially an oil level sensor if it appears to be defective.
4. Finish oil change!

My biggest idiot moment was putting engine flush in the car already, (again, no oil history wanted to make sure it was degunked) stopping me from driving it to a garage to get help with the sump. I could still tow if I get major issues.

Any thoughts, recommendations or problems with my plans I'd be really grateful to hear.

Cheers all! Still don't know about the emissions test obviously!
Attachments
20240410_104153.jpg
20240410_104153.jpg (111.01 KiB) Viewed 435 times
20240410_103002.jpg
20240410_103002.jpg (105.39 KiB) Viewed 435 times
20240410_100029.jpg
20240410_100029.jpg (138.33 KiB) Viewed 435 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

So it begins!

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:31 pm

If that plug is spinning it could well be a stripped thread in the sump.
That would probably mean finding another sump pan. :cry:

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Usel

So it begins!

Post by Usel » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:01 pm

Can the oil not be sucked out the top through the dipstick with a pela pump?

No dipstick I assume?

Trumpetdude

So it begins!

Post by Trumpetdude » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:29 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:31 pm If that plug is spinning it could well be a stripped thread in the sump.
That would probably mean finding another sump pan. :cry:
Yeah... That's currently where I'm - question is, will the sump come out without the subframe being removed?

Trumpetdude

So it begins!

Post by Trumpetdude » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:29 pm

Usel wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:01 pm Can the oil not be sucked out the top through the dipstick with a pela pump?

No dipstick I assume?
Correct, no dipstick.

Trumpetdude

So it begins!

Post by Trumpetdude » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:33 pm

An update on Project Zed!
Dropped at the garage this morning to replace the sump. I could have gone heliocoil but kind of glad I didn't as it was quite weepy around the sump gasket. I've got a used item from a breakers and getting it replaced. It's a subframe off job which is a bit beyond me.
They also found a sheered lower steering column bolt but the uncertainty now is that one of the sump bolts has sheered coming off and they're not sure that there wont be others :| - so I've asked them to proceed. At some point that gasket was going to need repaired as was that bolt that would probably have failed the MoT.

Report is going to come back on Monday and they may have to drill and Heliocoil the some bolts now which is unforeseen expense buuuuut... One glimmer of hope I'm hanging onto was that I drove to the garage :driving: , (still with Wynns in it) slowly. No exhaust noises, no emissions lights and to be honest, everything felt great. So fingers crossed the worked proceeds without too many more hitches and it gets a clean emissions pass on Monday.
Good Luck Zed!

Trumpetdude

So it begins!

Post by Trumpetdude » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:58 am

Well, could have been better... :|
I'm going to work from the bottom up as most of that is just labour. Ironically I'm showing no fault codes (Car Scanner Pro) but I am detecting Cat / emissions errors and fair play to the garage - they wouldn't commit to a reason without a proper investigation, they've been quite helpful so far.

The upper suspension work, (shocks & top mounts) will have to wait but won't be neglected, to be addressed once I've got to the bottom of the emissions which I'm fully expecting to be the manifold and or cat.

I'm a bit stumped by the ESP error, thoughts there would be appreciated!

So much to do away from the car due to work and other commitments, it'll be a little bit here and there when I can - aiming to have it on the road by June.
Attachments
Zed MoT (2)_1.jpg
Zed MoT (2)_1.jpg (154.21 KiB) Viewed 172 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

So it begins!

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:04 am

Trumpetdude wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:58 am I'm a bit stumped by the ESP error, thoughts there would be appreciated!
Sorry if I've missed it somewhere, but what is this fault. Which light is on? DTC or Traction Control, or both? Or handbrake as well?
What codes?

Trumpetdude

So it begins!

Post by Trumpetdude » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:22 am

No idea, no fault codes actually. Maybe by scanner isn't sufficient or maybe it's a soft code. The garage dropped the car at my house yesterday as I was working away. When I scanned the codes this morning there was nothing but the traction control warning light was on. Scanned the car - no codes 🤷🏼‍♂️. The only thing I can think of was that there was a low tyre pressure line ght on when I dropped the car off dor the sump work / MoT.. Nothing else.

I'm actually going to book it straight back in to diagnose these issues before I do any serious driveway work, (it was really just on for the sump and MoT).

raymond.harper

So it begins!

Post by raymond.harper » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:17 pm

Before spending more money on the car, the emissions should be tackled first. It may be a simple case of needing to run the car hot for a while or a catalytic converter cleaner. But if it needs a new catalytic converter, the part is very expensive and difficult to source.

Trumpetdude

So it begins!

Post by Trumpetdude » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:33 pm

Actually, my wife said the exact same thing and other than a couple of things like polish the lights and look at the rear brake I'll be booking it back in when the garage have the space.

Cheers!