Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best value speaker upgrade from base system?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Matt Scarbro

Post by Matt Scarbro » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm

I’ve just added a set if standard 4” speakers to the doors of a 6 speaker system which made a modest difference.

I then swapped to the 4” speakers from the premium system and it’s made a more notable improvement, it’s really made the system feel better.

Both were just spliced into the tweeter wiring. :thumbsup:
E86 3.0 road & track project and assorted Jap crap
YouTube: Circuit : Driver

darich

Post by darich » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:11 am

I bought a couple of used speakers from ebay (2 different sellers, a single speaker from each. Something like £14 and £10) and installed them where the blanking plate is in the door card. Simply spliced into the tweeter cabling. I'm no expert but I reckoned splicing before the capacitor was the the best place.
It's made a decent difference but I'd like to upgrade the speakers in the footwell. I had a set of unused speakers I thought I could use but the factory units are specially shaped so any standard speaker will need trimming/modifying or the mounting template changed. I couldn't be bothered with either so put it all back together.

Would still like a footwell upgrade to give a clearer sound though.....to my ears, the sound is a bit muddy/muffled.
Previously 2004 Sterling Grey E85 3.0SE
Currently 2007 Silver Grey E86 M Sport
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:01 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. Long shot, how easy would it be to transfer the carver system from my other Z4? Does it use special wiring or can I just run cables?
Z4M - Interlagos Blue with Black Leather
Z4 3.0i - Sapphire Black with Red Leather - FOR SALE!

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:35 am

thecremeegg wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:01 am Thanks for the replies everyone. Long shot, how easy would it be to transfer the carver system from my other Z4? Does it use special wiring or can I just run cables?
Think it would be a pretty big job, but I've never done it. I do however have a loom if it's of help. viewtopic.php?t=142405 . If nothing else might be useful for connectors and cable runs if you go for an upgrade. PM me if of any use, it's just taking up space :)
E85 3.0i SE Sterling Grey, 2004
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Mineral Grey - Sold