Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another electrical issues thread -dashboard silliness

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
darkwheels

Post by darkwheels » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:51 pm

I'd be grateful if you good people can advise on a confusing electrical problem that's been getting worse over months with my 2007 E86 3.0Si

It began as an intermittent problem but with all of these symptoms occurring together :
seat-belt warning light on the dash;
indicators work on the outside but no tell-tale lights or audible clicker operating on the inside;
the instrument illumination comes on faintly after about a minute even though I've not switched the lights on;
the clock in the instruments and on the stereo display dashes rather than time.

Eventually it added the car only cranking 2 seconds after turning the key in the ignition.
The battery, although only 2 1/2 years old wasn't good (too many discharges from infrequent use?) so I got a new another new Yuasa battery from Halfords a couple of weeks ago. This has not solved the problem and even the delayed cranking still makes an appearance.

Suspecting the seat occupancy mat, I've had the seat out several weeks ago and cleaned the contacts. The problem went away briefly.

I've had the car to an auto electrician earlier in the week. Especially for him the car added non-functioning windows and wipers. He's diagnosed the Body Control Module, removed it to clean the contacts and then reset the codes. To be fair he wasn't confident the problem wouldn't re-occur, the next step probably being sending the BCM off for repair. The car was fine for a couple of days, but it's back to its old tricks.

From what I've read the symptoms, unless I'm much mistaken don't match the functions of the BCM. If you're still reading :oops: does it sound like the BCM is the likely culprit?

Thanks in Advance for any insight.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:56 pm

Wonder if it's another K-Bus issue? Lots of modules sit on it and if one goes bad then it messes up all the others.
Without seeing the codes you're getting it is difficult to know where to start though.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

darkwheels

Post by darkwheels » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:26 pm

That was quick :) Thanks. I only have the most basic of generic scanners. I'll browse the options for BMW-specific scanners.

I'll happily spanner but modern electrics are another ball game.