Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just saying Hi !

First port of call for new members
Inspectorcluseo

Just saying Hi !

Post by Inspectorcluseo » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:46 pm

Hi there ! Just created my account, as I'm on the hunt for a Z4.

I've been through quite a few cars over the years, always try to run something interesting, including a few BMWs. The more interesting past cars include:

MX5 Mk1 and 3
TVR Chimera 4.0 (Which I drove to Rome)
Impreza RB5
BMW 523 that I took to 200k miles
M5 E39 (Awesome car)
M3 E46
Currently have an M4 convertible, but in the process of selling, hence looking for a Z4.

I've considered a number of the smaller roadsters, but keep coming back to the Z4. I'm going to make sure I fit and it's comfy, then get on the hunt proper. I'm aiming for either a 2.5Si, or 3.0Si....must be manual. Other than that I'm pretty open on spec.

Good to be on here, as it looks like a great source of information. Thanks for having me.
2006 Z4 E85 3.0 Si manual

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Just saying Hi !

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:54 pm

Bonjour. Welcome aboard.
Hope you find the car you want quickly so we can all start to help you spend money on it. :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Just saying Hi !

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:04 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Having a 2.5Si as a back up option sounds like a good plan, seeing as only 695 manual 3.0Si Roadsters came to the UK. :o

Anyway don't forget to post some photos once you have found one!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Just saying Hi !

Post by buzyg » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:37 pm

Welcome to the forum. :)

Always nice to see a list of interesting cars. Enjoy the hunt for your new roadster and the meantime, feel free to post up a few pictures of those previous toys. 8) :thumbsup:

Inspectorcluseo

Just saying Hi !

Post by Inspectorcluseo » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:23 pm

Thanks all, yes I'll keep you posted on my progress to acquire the Z4...Feels like as usual, I'll be doing some miles to get the right one ! [img]

I'll certainly try to add some pics of past cars, just not sure how to right now...

Inspectorcluseo

Just saying Hi !

Post by Inspectorcluseo » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:30 pm

Pic of my old M3....
IMG_0289.JPG
IMG_0289.JPG (213.6 KiB) Viewed 481 times

Inspectorcluseo

Just saying Hi !

Post by Inspectorcluseo » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:33 pm

Ok, I think I've worked it out, sorry about the size though !
IMG_1276.JPG
IMG_1276.JPG (288.07 KiB) Viewed 479 times
IMG_1276.JPG
IMG_1276.JPG (288.07 KiB) Viewed 479 times

Inspectorcluseo

Just saying Hi !

Post by Inspectorcluseo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:40 am

OK - I did say I was on the hunt, target acquired !

2006 3.0 Si manual. 2 owners, 70k miles, completely standard at present.

Needs a little work, but acquired at a very fair price from a gent in Yorkshire that allows for this, there's a little bodywork to sort and a knock off the suspension. It's also 'wandering' around on the road a little, which I suspect is due to suspension wear...

Overall though, an honest little motor, the main thing for me was the 3.0 SI / manual combination. Goes really well, love a BMW six...

One change made so far, run flats binned as they were awful, Goodyear F1's added. Complete stroke of luck, a local guy was selling a set of four, with 200 miles on, after returning a used car due to faults. I was going to upgrade to 18" wheels, but actually I like these wheels now and combined with the new tyres actually give a decent ride.

Next work will be the knock / suspension and a damn good clean when I get chance.

One thing I have to sort is the steering wheel. I really don't like it, it's too thin, the plastic is hard and offers no grip. I'm going to clean it as a first measure, but what are thoughts on the best upgrade. I'd like a thicker rim, but still an OEM look ?
Attachments
Z4.jpg
Z4.jpg (87.88 KiB) Viewed 395 times

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Just saying Hi !

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:20 pm

Congratulations on getting a pretty rare Z4, as it seems only 695 Manual Si Roadsters came to the UK. :thumbsup:

As it seems to have 17" wheels I'm guessing it's an SE model, which might explain why the steering wheel in a bit thin. I've never used him but everyone on here seems to really rate Jack at Royals for a wheel refurb. I think he can also pad the rim to more like M-Sport thickness.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Just saying Hi !

Post by paddy wright » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:22 pm

Welcome along- looks a nice find
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Just saying Hi !

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:26 pm

Thast looks nice?
Do you do your own spannering?
If not, there are a few of us dotted about that could possibly help keep the costs down on a suspension refresh, depending where you are?

Be intersting to see a photo of the steering wheel if you could. Only very basic models had a plastic rim. so even a standard leather one would possibly be enough for you.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Inspectorcluseo

Just saying Hi !

Post by Inspectorcluseo » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am

Do you do your own spannering?
If not, there are a few of us dotted about that could possibly help keep the costs down on a suspension refresh, depending where you are?

Thanks for the above, really appreciate it, what a friendly forum ! I do the odd bit, but at the moment I'm more than knee deep trying to complete a property development. Should be done in 4 weeks so I'll then have more time....In the meantime, I'm taking it to my long standing and very reasonable mechanic to see what he says. Taking it this morning, for some reason it's like that feeling when you go to the dentist and aren't sure how expensive or painful it's going to be. I can tell it definitely needs some work though.

Be interesting to see a photo of the steering wheel if you could. Only very basic models had a plastic rim. so even a standard leather one would possibly be enough for you.

I'll get a picture of the steering wheel later, looking at it yesterday, I don't think it is actually plastic, just old, hard and worn leather, so I'll try a very good clean first until I can sort the best option to improve it properly. I do like the fact that it's button free, which is rare these days.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Just saying Hi !

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:11 am

Welcome to the forum. I wen the other way Z4 to M4, tough time to sell an M4

You should let the guys know where you are, there are quite a few very handy guys who will save you hundreds if not much more
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.