Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacing brakes at home?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:53 am

So took my Z for a blast today and had a sudden brown rouser moment as the pedal went long- rear brakes are goosed! No warning from the sensor on the dash but they are definitely done. I’m ok with a spanner but never done brakes. How hard are they to do yourself and any advice on the process please?
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:28 am

The pedal "going long" could be either due to overheated brakes or a hydraulic problem with either the master cylinder or the servo. If the goose had been cooked, you could smell the burning brakes and feel the heat coming from the affected side. If the pedal feels alright, and not going down to the floor, the hydraulics may be alright so you are looking at disc and pad replacement and possible caliper replacement. There are plenty of videos on YouTube but if you have any doubts, leave it to a garage. Pictures of the pads and discs would help!

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:12 am

It’s defo the discs and pads- the affected side was hot and could hear them. Drove carefully to a garage for confirmation of problem.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:17 am

Very easy home job. Make sure you get some plus gas or similar round the disc retaining screw and use exactly the right sized Allen key so you don’t round it off.
All fairly basic spannering. Use a bit of wire or string to support the weight of the calliper while you change the disc.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

j3nks79

Post by j3nks79 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:59 am

paddy wright wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:12 am It’s defo the discs and pads- the affected side was hot and could hear them. Drove carefully to a garage for confirmation of problem.
Sounds like you have a sticky caliper and it’s worn the brakes on that position.
So you will probably need a new caliper discs and pads
2009 09 Carbon Black Cinnamon E86

FunkyGBrown

Post by FunkyGBrown » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:00 pm

I did both front side calipers, discs and pads on mine with 0 mechanical experience. :driving:

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:41 pm

Anything to do with callipers, discs and pads is pretty straightforward. Just follow the guides. As mentioned above, be careful with the disc retaining screws (one on each disc) as they are a PITA if you round them. I’ve not done any work the other side of the firewall, i.e. ABS unit, or brake cylinders; but I imagine that is a bit more complicated.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:56 pm

Zedebee wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:41 pm Anything to do with callipers, discs and pads is pretty straightforward. Just follow the guides. As mentioned above, be careful with the disc retaining screws (one on each disc) as they are a PITA if you round them. I’ve not done any work the other side of the firewall, i.e. ABS unit, or brake cylinders; but I imagine that is a bit more complicated.
Just did my first ABS unit on Project Spa. Took it off and sent to ECU Testing for a refurb. Removal and refit are dead easy if you go in through the wheelarch, with the liner out. Using INPA to bleed the unit afterwards filled me with dread, but it's actually simple.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: