Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Drinks holder centre console

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
simnew

Post by simnew » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:17 am

So I am thinking to get a drinks / can holder for the centre storage console.
The part number from realoem is 51169181223 This is supposed to be for right hand drive, but I notice there is also 51169181226 which looks like it’s for left hand drive. Does anyone have this already and does it make a difference when fitting as I’m not concerned about loosing the mobile phone connector that is there at the moment.

Additionally, there are mats which fit in the cup holders but of two different sizes. Anyone know which is the ‘correct’ size or are the two holders different sizes hence the different mat sizes ?

TIA for any info.

RAYK47

Post by RAYK47 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:58 pm

I do have the drink holder (was added when the car was bought). I don't know what the difference would be regarding L or RH drive but I suspect mounting points etc might be the wrong way round if you don't get the correct side. Drink will probably be too close to your arm as well if the wrong side is bought.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:09 pm

simnew wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:17 am So I am thinking to get a drinks / can holder for the centre storage console.
The part number from realoem is 51169181223 This is supposed to be for right hand drive, but I notice there is also 51169181226 which looks like it’s for left hand drive. Does anyone have this already and does it make a difference when fitting as I’m not concerned about loosing the mobile phone connector that is there at the moment.

Additionally, there are mats which fit in the cup holders but of two different sizes. Anyone know which is the ‘correct’ size or are the two holders different sizes hence the different mat sizes ?

TIA for any info.
If you are referring to the centre armrest cup holder unit then yes they are different sizes..

The US has one that sits outboard of the centre tunnel but I guess it would clash with your legs on a RHD..

You have to be articulated like a chimp to use the centre console for drinkies ..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:58 pm

B21 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:09 pm The US has one that sits outboard of the centre tunnel but I guess it would clash with your legs on a RHD..

You have to be articulated like a chimp to use the centre console for drinkies ..
The only way to operate a RHD with the outboard cupholder for LHD cars is without the entire left leg. As is, the cupholder is a PITA for the right hand passenger. As soon as you’re done with your drink, you put it away.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

javis20

Post by javis20 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:49 am

I have both on my USA 2011. The outboard cup holder mounts on the passenger side of the console. It's excellent and I use this on a lot. The center console drink holder is a very awkward reach. I almost never use it. Was thinking of replacing the center console drink holder with the optional plain open box. Was thinking of using it to store a handgun. When you lock the car, the center console lid locks. This is not true of the glove box. So, safe place when roof is down.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:54 pm

Marcoose wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:58 pm
B21 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:09 pm The US has one that sits outboard of the centre tunnel but I guess it would clash with your legs on a RHD..

The only way to operate a RHD with the outboard cupholder for LHD cars is without the entire left leg. As is, the cupholder is a PITA for the right hand passenger. As soon as you’re done with your drink, you put it away.
:tumbleweed: :rofl: :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:55 pm

javis20 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:49 am I have both on my USA 2011. The outboard cup holder mounts on the passenger side of the console. It's excellent and I use this on a lot. The center console drink holder is a very awkward reach. I almost never use it. Was thinking of replacing the center console drink holder with the optional plain open box. Was thinking of using it to store a handgun. When you lock the car, the center console lid locks. This is not true of the glove box. So, safe place when roof is down.
I’ve tried to fit my sawn off shotgun but that doesn’t fit..I’ll just keep my iPhone in there instead :thumbsup:

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:03 pm

B21 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:55 pm
javis20 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:49 am I have both on my USA 2011. The outboard cup holder mounts on the passenger side of the console. It's excellent and I use this on a lot. The center console drink holder is a very awkward reach. I almost never use it. Was thinking of replacing the center console drink holder with the optional plain open box. Was thinking of using it to store a handgun. When you lock the car, the center console lid locks. This is not true of the glove box. So, safe place when roof is down.
I’ve tried to fit my sawn off shotgun but that doesn’t fit..I’ll just keep my iPhone in there instead :thumbsup:
I keep a couple of dozen rubbers in there. But then, I’m a lover not a fighter.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:09 pm

Marcoose wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:03 pm
B21 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:55 pm
I keep a couple of dozen rubbers in there. But then, I’m a lover not a fighter.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285116494552. :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:38 pm

You could always fit one of these instead (new version now out with a slot between the cup holders and space to put the 12v socket)....
https://youtu.be/m7XNth61FfI?si=5LO9huDA189slzbo
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

RAYK47

Post by RAYK47 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:49 pm

I am not a fan of this, I feel it will be ok for a can of drink but a coffee mug is unlikely to fit.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:04 pm

What is it with coffee cup holders?

Should be banned..

You shouldn't hold or use a mobile phone whilst driving..so what is it with a cup with hot fluid inside?

Discuss!-:)

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:54 am

RAYK47 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:49 pm I am not a fan of this, I feel it will be ok for a can of drink but a coffee mug is unlikely to fit.
It's fine for a can or bottle, not a mug though due to the limitation of the radio above.
I've used mine a few times now and it works perfectly. I certainly wouldn't want to use the armrest one, with its limited access and hindrance to your elbow in a manual.
But each to their own, we're all different :thumbsup: :driving:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

RAYK47

Post by RAYK47 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:53 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:54 am
RAYK47 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:49 pm I am not a fan of this, I feel it will be ok for a can of drink but a coffee mug is unlikely to fit.
It's fine for a can or bottle, not a mug though due to the limitation of the radio above.
I've used mine a few times now and it works perfectly. I certainly wouldn't want to use the armrest one, with its limited access and hindrance to your elbow in a manual.
But each to their own, we're all different :thumbsup: :driving:
Yeah, I have never used my center console one and probably never will.

simnew

Post by simnew » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:59 pm

Thanks guys. Really useful insight !