Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Neighbour hit car

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Neighbour hit car

Post by flimper » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:10 pm

I've phoned my insurer and told them what's happened but for information only, and that I won't be claiming from them, hopefully I haven't screwed that up :?
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Neighbour hit car

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:26 pm

flimper wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:10 pm I've phoned my insurer and told them what's happened but for information only, and that I won't be claiming from them, hopefully I haven't screwed that up :?
I think you have, they will note that you have now been in an accident and this may increase your premium, could be wrong but think its what happens :(
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Ed Doe

Neighbour hit car

Post by Ed Doe » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:51 pm

Mark, show Will @ TWG, and get him to get a quote from his bodyshop man. The dude did a beautiful job on my M bumper painting it silvergrey for my old 3.0si back in the day - it cost £350 all done. I've no doubt he'd be able to sort that out for less than a grand, using BMW paint too. :thumbsup:
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, Supersprint, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Neighbour hit car

Post by flimper » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:03 pm

Thanks Ed, will do :thumbsup:
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

j3nks79

Neighbour hit car

Post by j3nks79 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:11 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:26 pm
flimper wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:10 pm I've phoned my insurer and told them what's happened but for information only, and that I won't be claiming from them, hopefully I haven't screwed that up :?
I think you have, they will note that you have now been in an accident and this may increase your premium, could be wrong but think its what happens :(
Exactly this. Because you have notified them it’s classed as an “incident”.
2009 09 Carbon Black Cinnamon E86

obewan

Neighbour hit car

Post by obewan » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:19 pm

I used to think that as well, but not sure now. Also the data would have been logged on the 'system' now by the neighbours insurance company anyway

2020 I had a non-fault accident on my motorbike - all costs were paid by the other party.
Along came my renewal, and was pleasantly surprised to find no increase.
Then my wife's car insurance renewal, again no increase

The only increase was on my Z4 renewal (about 15%). When I asked why they said 'as I'd had an accident'

I shopped around and got it £60 cheaper than my previous (pre accident) price.

Members more experienced in these matters may be able to advise
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Neighbour hit car

Post by Zedebee » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:27 pm

The important thing to remember from a legal point of view is that your neighbour is liable to you for the damage he’s caused. Your claim is against him and he is protected by an indemnity from his insurance company. It’s up to you whether to involve your insurer, but you shouldn’t have to. It might be better for neighbour relationships if you do go through your respective insurers, but this is the only benefit for you.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Usel

Neighbour hit car

Post by Usel » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:46 pm

If you are definitely going through the insurance route then you have done the right thing.
As the neighbour has admitted fault then you can now deal directly through their insurance company.

It's easier to deal directly with their insurance company and if you don't need a courtesy car then that will give you more leverage with where you get it repaired. They seem to bend the knee a little more when dealing directly with the person they need to compensate.

Your own insurance company will always deal with it as if they have to pay for the damages because essentially they will until they put the claim into the other insurance company with the final bill.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Neighbour hit car

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:34 pm

I'm sorry to see that Mark. :(

Someone drove into the back of my 3 Series last year and I claimed from his insurer so I wouldn't have a claim recorded on my policy. Sadly they made it a Cat N because the bodyshop they recommended padded out their estimate. They were also really mean with their valuation, but other than that it all worked out fine.

I'm just renewing through Saga and they told me a non-fault claim wouldn't affect the premium with my insurer Acromas. But they wanted a copy of an MOT Pass Certificate after the accident because it was Cat a N.

Hope you get a good outcome. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Neighbour hit car

Post by Pondrew » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:51 pm

j3nks79 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:11 pm
Exactly this. Because you have notified them it’s classed as an “incident”.
Yep. Any call to insurers these days to 'find out about a claim' goes down as an "incident". And they will generally increase premiums by 20% for the next 5 years. It will be put on the insurance database aswell so changing insurers won't make any difference.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Neighbour hit car

Post by Pondrew » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:58 pm

In 2024 having any kind of claim, whether 100% non-fault or not, WILL adversely affect your premium for many years to come. It will affect the neighbour's more (quite rightly) but you will still pay.

In this situation it is a direct 'risk' scenario. By leaving your car near to a complete muppet who obviously can't drive, you have increased YOUR risk. The insurance will look at it as though it could easily happen again and next time maybe you will not be able to claim against the third party, so their theoretical risk is increased.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Neighbour hit car

Post by Pondrew » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:02 pm

I have a friend who had a similar thing....his next door neighbour drove his van round to park in the friend's driveway (he was doing some work for him so needed tools). The neighbour reversed into my friend's car while getting out. The neighbour wanted to claim on insurance so they did.
This was around 5 years ago and my friend's premiums have been 25% more since (over and above the yearly increase).

He is not very happy with his neighbour, strangely enough! :wink:

Basically, muppet neighbours cost you money. Simples. :x

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Neighbour hit car

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:47 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:34 pm I'm sorry to see that Mark.

Someone drove into the back of my 3 Series last year and I claimed from his insurer so I wouldn't have a claim recorded on my policy. Sadly they made it a Cat N because the bodyshop they recommended padded out their estimate. They were also really mean with their valuation, but other than that it all worked out fine.

I'm just renewing through Saga and they told me a non-fault claim wouldn't affect the premium with my insurer Acromas. But they wanted a copy of an MOT Pass Certificate after the accident because it was Cat a N.

Hope you get a good outcome.
Well it seems Saga were telling porkies because they put the premium up nearly £20 and added £50 to the excess - thieving gits! :headbang:

Still from what Pondy said maybe it could have been worse.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Neighbour hit car

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:59 pm

Zedebee wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:08 pm Hopefully Mr Tidy will be on soon, as he has some background in insurance. My understanding is that you should just hold the neighbour responsible, claim off him directly and it’s up to him to get his insurer involved. There should not be any need to involve your insurer who will inevitably bump up premiums etc. I may be wrong though.
This is pretty spot on to a degree, my insurance company said they would hold the information on file but I had to tell them the car had been in an accident/incident even though I wasn’t in the car. They said they wouldn’t hold it against me claim wise as the other parties insurance contacted me directly and took full responsibility, they also asked me not to claim my own insurance. My insurance was due 20ish days later, I’d already had my renewal quote and it didn’t increase a penny after I had spoken to them.

Other company was LV, I’m insured by BMW

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Neighbour hit car

Post by Pondrew » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:13 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:47 pm Well it seems Saga were telling porkies because they put the premium up nearly £20 and added £50 to the excess - thieving gits! :headbang:
    Saga are great! I got six months FREE insurance on my F31 the other day thanks to their cock up.

Downside is I have been driving around in an uninsured F31 for nearly 4 months. Their computer decided to not process the change over from my Z3 to the F31 back in January. Funny, though, cos they took the additional premium. :x

Only a letter from from the MIB (Motor Insurance Bureau, apparently) highlighted it.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold