Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gardening help. Moss!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Gardening help. Moss!

Post by MikeyH » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:09 pm

Bloke next to us got rid of everything green, put down loads of gravel, looks bloody awful, like a quarry from hell :rofl:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Gardening help. Moss!

Post by TitanTim » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:33 pm

MikeyH wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:09 pm Bloke next to us got rid of everything green, put down loads of gravel, looks bloody awful, like a quarry from hell :rofl:
Mind you, he's probably doing something more interesting than mowing :lol:

Tim.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Gardening help. Moss!

Post by Pondrew » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:02 am

MikeyH wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:09 pm Bloke next to us got rid of everything green, put down loads of gravel, looks bloody awful, like a quarry from hell :rofl:
My front garden is 450m2. If I put gravel on that lot, I fear the natives would turn up with their deck chairs in the Summer. :)

I am getting used to the moss, at least it looks green year-round (and grows slowly so less mowing)! :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

ekimj10

Gardening help. Moss!

Post by ekimj10 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:50 am

TitanTim referred to the maintenance of fake grass and he is absolutely right, we have trees surrounding the back lawn and one is an old oak tree which throughout the year is shedding something, the worst being sticky bits off the acorns. There is no way that the can all be cleaned off, we have powerful Honda rotary mower and that doesn't pick them up.
I see you can buy vacuum cleaners just for fake lawns! the only positive side is they are probably quieter than most petrol mowers and Sunday afternoons should be more peaceful.
2.2R Toledo Blue

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Gardening help. Moss!

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:02 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:04 am Need advice from any keen gardeners please.
My front lawn is being taken over by moss. This year it's so bad there are big areas with no grass left at all. I don't really know how best to tackle it and keep it away. We also get multiple Red Ant nests in the front lawn each Spring/ Summer which look like mole hills when mowed. I have absolutely no idea how or if I can deal with these.

I am thinking of drastic action if there is no other easy solution; That is spraying the whole lot with strong weedkiller then getting tonnes of top soil and starting again.

The yellowy/ brown areas in the photo are all just moss now.
IMG_9347.JPG
Been looking at this as I have the same issue - I am not a gardener by any means, but I do like the lawns to look decent but 3 to 4 hours cutting each weekend is a bind, SWMBO wont let me put down gravel as we already have a drive for about 10 cars

Mo bactor is the way to go - there is a guy on you tube showing how to prep (scarify) and use it, supposed to be really good, doesn't leave big black patches.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/lawns/moss-on-lawns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX0Dp9mcDso
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Gardening help. Moss!

Post by MikeyH » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:26 pm

I don’t think it helps cutting the grass too close as this allows other plants and weeds to grow. Most of our lawn is made up with dandelion and other weeds but at least it looks green. :roll:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.