Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Central Locking issue

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
rowlyn

Central Locking issue

Post by rowlyn » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:58 am

Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 2.2 automatic Z4, i have an intermittent problem with locking (mostly not working but will occasionally)

So i bought the car as a dooer upper, it had no remote key with it, only the spare emergency standard key. I had a new generic key made and programmed which worked fine, that was about a year ago.

Ive started having trouble with unlocking (locking will always work on the key, the boot also works every time off the key) i have to put the key in the door to unlock it which will only unlock the driver door (passenger and storage compartments remain locked) so to unlock those i press the central locking button inside the car, this is also playing up, when sat in the car i can hear solenoids trying to do something.

My biggest concern is that with the key and interior button not working, i cant get out the car as when i try the door handle, it will lift the lock button but not open the door, as soon as i release the door handle, the button returns to locked position.

Car battery only a year old and fully charged, have also tried new battery in the fob. Any ideas gratefully received :)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Central Locking issue

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:36 am

Sounds like the GM5 module is playing up.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Central Locking issue

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:12 am

Lots of info if you search GM5 on this forum, but basically you need to check if you have a 5RD or a Star 12 Low. They are not exchangeable.
You can get a secondhand one and then pair your key to it, but you may need to code any settings you have as it will retain the ones from the donor car.
Or you can send yours off to be repaired.
Not everywhere does Star 12 so if you have one of those make sure you find the correct repairer. Lots on eBay.
Or possibly bigwinn can help you as I believe he recently invested in the soldering station and some relays.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

rowlyn

Central Locking issue

Post by rowlyn » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:44 pm

Thanks I’ll look into that