Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Concorde Ebay special

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Concorde Ebay special

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:56 am

One of the most interesting facts I didn’t know was that the high temperatures caused Concorde's titanium and steel skin to expand—the plane stretched as much as ten inches in length

pvr
Legend
Legend

Concorde Ebay special

Post by pvr » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:03 am

Unfortunately missed out on the flights, was going to NY every two weeks at the time and BA did a deal where you could fly from Paris one way for a standard business ticket. Never had to go during the deal time and then it ended :x
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Concorde Ebay special

Post by paddy wright » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:24 am

So sad it lost its right to fly. I was lucky enough to have been on a flight when I was younger- it was immense!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Concorde Ebay special

Post by TitanTim » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:44 am

Rockhopper wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:51 am They've been trying to sell it for quite a few years now. It might be worth that money if it had the right paperwork with it but to be made into furniture - not a chance.
To be honest even if it did have its paperwork (the BA restriction of use would mean they have destroyed all the paperwork it needs to be airworthy) its no use as an airworthy engine as there are no aircraft flying that could use that kind of engine.
I did think who would actually buy it and pay that much for it, its not exactly cheap even for a museum.

Can't see it selling unless it was broken up and the parts sold separately to collectors.

Tim.
Last edited by TitanTim on Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Concorde Ebay special

Post by TitanTim » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:49 am

paddy wright wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:24 am So sad it lost its right to fly. I was lucky enough to have been on a flight when I was younger- it was immense!
I'm sure at one time you could book a 30 minute pleasure flight that went along the south coast and back, I'm pretty sure that's what I was saving up for as it still wasn't cheap even for a 30 minute flight.

Apart from trips to Australia on a 747 the only other noteworthy aircraft I used to travel on each year to Airshows was a Dakota DC3 operated by Air Atlantique based at Coventry who sadly folded :(

Tim.

Bmwz4ruby

Concorde Ebay special

Post by Bmwz4ruby » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:53 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:49 am
paddy wright wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:24 am So sad it lost its right to fly. I was lucky enough to have been on a flight when I was younger- it was immense!
I'm sure at one time you could book a 30 minute pleasure flight that went along the south coast and back, I'm pretty sure that's what I was saving up for as it still wasn't cheap even for a 30 minute flight.

Apart from trips to Australia on a 747 the only other noteworthy aircraft I used to travel on each year to Airshows was a Dakota DC3 operated by Air Atlantique based at Coventry who sadly folded :(

Tim.
Yes you could. When Concorde used to cone to RAF St Mawgan (Cornwall) airday you could pay for a 30 minute flight over the Bay of Biscay. It was but a dream for me.
2006 E86 3.0 Si Sport, Ruby Black
2006 E85 M Roadster, Sapphire Black

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Concorde Ebay special

Post by TitanTim » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:18 pm

Bmwz4ruby wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:53 pm

Tim.
Yes you could. When Concorde used to cone to RAF St Mawgan (Cornwall) airday you could pay for a 30 minute flight over the Bay of Biscay. It was but a dream for me.
Ahh thanks for the confirmation, I think thats the flight I was thinking of, Bay of Biscay rings a bell now. I know I was saving up at the time ✈️

Tim.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Concorde Ebay special

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:23 pm

I'm sure there were quite a few charter flights that used to get advertised in daily papers in the 80s and 90s, but I could never afford them back then. :(

My aviation highlight so far has been a return trip to Melbourne on an A380 in Business Class. :D

And now I've stopped working it will probably stay top of the list!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Concorde Ebay special

Post by buzyg » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:26 am

I recon Bedub could get that engine into an ///M. :D

What an aircraft that was. I remember well sitting on the tarmac in the dark at Heathrow, when a Concorde lit up it engines right before my eyes. Perfect diamonds of red and purple flames. Our aircraft shook like a kyte in it's mighty wake. 8)

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Concorde Ebay special

Post by mmm-five » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:00 am

Tim.
Along with some sporadic visits (from 1979 onwards), we also had a few flights during the 150th Grand National weekend that took you on a short trip across Liverpool to see Aintree (from Liverpool Airport).

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/no ... r-26694637#

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/no ... s-28954316#
0_h_01792386.jpg
0_h_01792386.jpg (144.78 KiB) Viewed 99 times
0_JS296497188.jpg
0_JS296497188.jpg (143.69 KiB) Viewed 98 times
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Concorde Ebay special

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:15 am

TitanTim wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:49 am Apart from trips to Australia on a 747 the only other noteworthy aircraft I used to travel on each year to Airshows was a Dakota DC3 operated by Air Atlantique based at Coventry who sadly folded :(
My two extremes are 13 hours in a C130 Herc to get to Saudi for the first Gulf (bloody Frogs wouldn't let us cross their airspace, so down the coast and in past Gibraltar). That was the worst!
The best? 1hr 40 minutes, never above 250ft in a Tornado, Norfolk to the Brecons in 18 minutes, through the Mach Loop, looking up at everyone, back to the Wash, dropped 4 practice bombs on a sunken boat, up to Newcastle, supersonic back down to Cromer and back to base. That was the best, but once was enough. Just about contained my breakfast. :roll:
(In ZA601, which is my avatar)
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Concorde Ebay special

Post by TitanTim » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:07 am

mmm-five wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:00 am

Tim.
Along with some sporadic visits (from 1979 onwards), we also had a few flights during the 150th Grand National weekend that took you on a short trip across Liverpool to see Aintree (from Liverpool Airport).

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/no ... r-26694637#

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/no ... s-28954316#

0_h_01792386.jpg

0_JS296497188.jpg
Great pic with the bus :) I was searching last night on charter flights and was surprised how many there were to various events over the years. I wondered if these increased as the normal passenger flights decreased with ticket prices being so high and business users using cheaper flights.

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Concorde Ebay special

Post by TitanTim » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:17 am

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:15 am
TitanTim wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:49 am Apart from trips to Australia on a 747 the only other noteworthy aircraft I used to travel on each year to Airshows was a Dakota DC3 operated by Air Atlantique based at Coventry who sadly folded :(
My two extremes are 13 hours in a C130 Herc to get to Saudi for the first Gulf (bloody Frogs wouldn't let us cross their airspace, so down the coast and in past Gibraltar). That was the worst!
The best? 1hr 40 minutes, never above 250ft in a Tornado, Norfolk to the Brecons in 18 minutes, through the Mach Loop, looking up at everyone, back to the Wash, dropped 4 practice bombs on a sunken boat, up to Newcastle, supersonic back down to Cromer and back to base. That was the best, but once was enough. Just about contained my breakfast. :roll:
Wow some noteworthy aircraft :thumbsup:

My only scary moment was one year on the DC3. It was lashing it down and due to fly from Coventry to Duxford airshow. I was sitting next to the engine and we bombed down the runway for take off and the engine started misfiring with a bit of flame out the exhaust. I think the pilot had to think quick whether go up or abort and decided to abort take off. Brakes were applied pretty smartish and we taxied back. 30 minutes later back on board and everything fine on 2nd attempt. Think the engine had got a bit wet over night. In reality you knew it would have been fine on one engine :)

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Concorde Ebay special

Post by buzyg » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:29 pm

Nice back story for your Avatar. 8) :thumbsup:

Bmwz4ruby

Concorde Ebay special

Post by Bmwz4ruby » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:19 pm

Super, I never worked fast jets so never had a flight in one. Always transport or support helicopters for me.
Did a fantastic low level C130 trip around Scotland with a SAS crew. Spent the whole flight (including takeoff and landing) on a harness at the open rear para door, absolutely fantastic. We did a simulated para drop, low level trying to shake hawk enemy aircraft and then set up a refuel at Wick for 2x Army Lynx. Best day ever.
Also did some helicopter safaris (Puma) and fly in the great rift valley in Kenya.
Such fond memories of 22 years in the RAF. Don’t miss it but boy was it good.
2006 E86 3.0 Si Sport, Ruby Black
2006 E85 M Roadster, Sapphire Black