Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cameras

Discussing the current generation Z4
RAYK47

Cameras

Post by RAYK47 » Fri May 03, 2024 4:59 pm

There was a little incident last night where a scrote in a hoodie decided to throw something at my house. He was caught on CCTV but with his hood pulled tight there was no way to see who he was. It was definitely targeted as he was seen hanging around outside for 5mins before throwing the item. It missed all my windows so no damage done.

This got me thinking about my car. I don't have a driveway and there is a green in front of my house so parking is on the road about 20m away. I have a Blackvue camera on my KIA but it is not very reliable (there was no recorded footage from last night) and was very expensive.

Does anyone have any cameras on their cars that records while parking but is not too expensive? I know there are a few but what I don't know is how I would wire it into the car so it is always powered but does not drain the battery.

Any recommendations

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Cameras

Post by enuff_zed » Fri May 03, 2024 5:04 pm

Trouble is he'd have the hood up and the camera would not prove anything, and the damage would already be done.
Get yourself a hoodie that obscures your face, then acquire a baseball bat and a taser. :roll:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Cameras

Post by B21 » Fri May 03, 2024 5:16 pm

If it’s always powered then it will drain the battery..

Garmin do some nice ones and also do a OBD port adapter for power with power management options to facilitate easier fitting
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

RAYK47

Cameras

Post by RAYK47 » Fri May 03, 2024 5:25 pm

B21 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:16 pm If it’s always powered then it will drain the battery..

Garmin do some nice ones and also do a OBD port adapter for power with power management options to facilitate easier fitting
My Blackvue has a module (power magic) that will stop recording if the battery gets to a certain level.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Cameras

Post by B21 » Fri May 03, 2024 6:05 pm

RAYK47 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:25 pm
B21 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:16 pm If it’s always powered then it will drain the battery..

My Blackvue has a module (power magic) that will stop recording if the battery gets to a certain level.
Yes the Garmin OBD adapter does the same..

So my statement is true ..if it’s on it drains the battery,.if it’s off then maybe it won’t drain it..

I guess it depends on your usage cycle of your car..no point having it switched off when your hoodie decides to retexture your hood..

Fortunately for me my car spends most of its time in non threatened environments ..so I just take the risk with them off..

I may revisit it next winter when I rip the electrics apart again.
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Cameras

Post by Nanu » Fri May 03, 2024 8:12 pm

Is there anyone in the street further away that has a camera such as a ring door bell or a shop?

when these scrotes walk away from the scene of a crime they usually take their hoodies off thinking its safe.

We were having bother with individuals causing damage and stealing from out local park and like your issue, inside the park they were all masked up. Got them walking 200 yards away with a different camera we had set up
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Silverstar

Cameras

Post by Silverstar » Fri May 03, 2024 9:27 pm

I am using a Viofo A119 V3 (front only) camera and have hard wired it for parking mode. It is inexpensive and works great.

The hard wire kit comes with a battery saver where you can adjust the cut off voltage from around 11.8 to 12.4V, the amount time you can leave the car unattended and have the camera running before it hits the limit of the battery saver and turns the power off depends on the state of the car battery and if you have anything else or other issue in the car that is draining the battery.

I have seen the camera on my car working whilst parked up for 2 to 3 days before the battery saver kicked in and cut the power to the camera. For what little this camera costs I have to say I am might impressed with it so much so that I have just bought their dual camera V229 Plus which is waiting to be fitted as soon as I figure out how I am going to deal with making a bracket to fit the rear camera to.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Silverstar

Cameras

Post by Silverstar » Fri May 03, 2024 9:29 pm

Silverstar wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:27 pm I am using a Viofo A119 V3 (front only) camera and have hard wired it for parking mode. It is inexpensive and works great.

The hard wire kit comes with a battery saver where you can adjust the cut off voltage from around 11.8 to 12.4V, the amount time you can leave the car unattended and have the camera running before it hits the limit of the battery saver and turns the power off depends on the state of the car battery and if you have anything else or other issue in the car that is draining the battery.

I have seen the camera on my car working whilst parked up for 2 to 3 days before the battery saver kicked in and cut the power to the camera. For what little this camera costs I have to say I am mighty impressed with it so much so that I have just bought their dual camera V229 Plus which is waiting to be fitted as soon as I figure out how I am going to deal with making a bracket to fit the rear camera to.

Silverstar

Cameras

Post by Silverstar » Fri May 03, 2024 9:30 pm

Apolgies for the double post not sure what happened there! :oops:

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Cameras

Post by Scubaregs » Sat May 04, 2024 10:03 am

Silverstar wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:30 pm Apolgies for the double post not sure what happened there! :oops:
Dual camera. :P
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

RAYK47

Cameras

Post by RAYK47 » Sat May 04, 2024 11:52 am

Thanks for the info guys.

Tried other cameras but he disappears into a park and could go anywhere from there.

RAYK47

Cameras

Post by RAYK47 » Sat May 04, 2024 12:02 pm

Silverstar wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:27 pm I am using a Viofo A119 V3 (front only) camera and have hard wired it for parking mode. It is inexpensive and works great.

I have seen the camera on my car working whilst parked up for 2 to 3 days before the battery saver kicked in and cut the power to the camera. For what little this camera costs I have to say I am might impressed with it so much so that I have just bought their dual camera V229 Plus which is waiting to be fitted as soon as I figure out how I am going to deal with making a bracket to fit the rear camera to.
Looking at the v229 with the hardwire kit. Where and how I mount the rear, I will worry about once I get it.

Silverstar

Cameras

Post by Silverstar » Sat May 04, 2024 1:58 pm

RAYK47 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:02 pm Looking at the v229 with the hardwire kit. Where and how I mount the rear, I will worry about once I get it.
I've got myself a piece of acrylic plastic, intention is to make a L bracket that can be screwed down just after the wind deflector and the camera using the 3M adhesive pad included in the kit will stick to the top part of this bracket.

I am hoping this week to be able to cut it down to size and then apparently with some heat you can bend it. Will see how it goes, alternatively can go the route B21 did and get a bracket professionally 3D printed.
IMG_1731.jpeg
IMG_1731.jpeg (108.41 KiB) Viewed 225 times

Silverstar

Cameras

Post by Silverstar » Sat May 04, 2024 2:00 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:03 am
Silverstar wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:30 pm Apolgies for the double post not sure what happened there! :oops:
Dual camera. :P
:rofl:

RAYK47

Cameras

Post by RAYK47 » Sat May 04, 2024 2:14 pm

Silverstar wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:58 pm
RAYK47 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:02 pm Looking at the v229 with the hardwire kit. Where and how I mount the rear, I will worry about once I get it.
I've got myself a piece of acrylic plastic, intention is to make a L bracket that can be screwed down just after the wind deflector and the camera using the 3M adhesive pad included in the kit will stick to the top part of this bracket.

I am hoping this week to be able to cut it down to size and then apparently with some heat you can bend it. Will see how it goes, alternatively can go the route B21 did and get a bracket professionally 3D printed.

IMG_1731.jpeg
Will be interesting to see the outcome :thumbsup: