Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

28i boot lid lifting

DonDon

28i boot lid lifting

Post by DonDon » Sat May 04, 2024 8:06 am

When i release the boot lid, it just raises an inch or so and I have to open it fully by hand.

I saw a video the other day where someone adjusted the end of a spring from one hole to another inside the boot (looked nothing like my E89) and the lid raised fully by itself. It looked like some kind of BMW but there was no description and I can't find it again.

Is the lid supposed to raise fully on its own and is there any adjustment please?
2013 E89 28i auto

Chippie

28i boot lid lifting

Post by Chippie » Sat May 04, 2024 8:13 am

DonDon wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:06 am When i release the boot lid, it just raises an inch or so and I have to open it fully by hand.

I saw a video the other day where someone adjusted the end of a spring from one hole to another inside the boot (looked nothing like my E89) and the lid raised fully by itself. It looked like some kind of BMW but there was no description and I can't find it again.

Is the lid supposed to raise fully on its own and is there any adjustment please?
In a word no
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Big Bad Boris

28i boot lid lifting

Post by Big Bad Boris » Sat May 04, 2024 8:57 am

Agreed, no way, the E89 boot lid is far too heavy to open on its own. I was always surprised just how heavy mine was, it’s more important to be careful not to drop it when closing, as I always felt there was a risk of damaging the electric soft close system.

I did have a CLS previously where the boot lid did pop up by itself via a button, I assume it was made of aluminium or similar as it really light… whereas the Z4 lid appears to made of concrete 🤪