Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Axel's Coupé - 2.25 years, might have gone mad...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
axelleveau

Axel's Coupé - Build LOG - 1.25 year

Post by axelleveau » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:05 pm

Thanks Joycey, will have a look when I get in this area again :)
Gone - Ford Ka MK2 Petrol - Black
Will hang around to carry materials/people and in emergency - Ford Fiesta MK7 1.0 Ecoboost - Black, white rally rims, white decals, remapped
Now - Z4 Coupe - Montego Blue: Here

axelleveau

Axel's Coupé - 2.25 years, new chaprter!

Post by axelleveau » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:54 pm

Woaw, pretty much a year of silcence on this thread but it was not without work on the car, I just wanted to finish the chapter started last summer with the rear end refurb which unexpectedly turned into a wheel and tyres refresh that took ages as I could not get a bloody wheel anywhere in Europe, until the importer realised that had one all along in their wharehouse...
IMG_20231008_162303.jpg
IMG_20231008_162303.jpg (335.42 KiB) Viewed 305 times
So long story short as I detailed most of the work on the "what have you done today" thread:
  • All rear end bushing changed for poly
  • Diff input flange greased
  • Rear calipers refurbed and painted
  • Handbrake shoes changed
  • Brake hoses changed for braided hoses
  • Alignment
IMG_20231201_173841.jpg
IMG_20231201_173841.jpg (105.83 KiB) Viewed 305 times
And due to getting my rear wheels stolen:
  • Changing from 19" wheels with dry Pilot SuperSport to 18" Pilot Sport 5, 225 front on 8J and 255 rear on 9J, ET35 all round
IMG_20240406_161235.jpg
IMG_20240406_161235.jpg (321.11 KiB) Viewed 305 times
To be honest the rear end bushing change is not night and day though I feel less flex and "sausaging when loaded". What has been much more noticeable is the change of brake hoses with a firmer pedal and more bite .And of course the change of tyres, main benefit being a much quieter car, lot less sketchy on damp and cold roads and also less input in the steering on every bump and holes and less foggy neutral though I still want a narrower dead zone around the neutral.
IMG_20240406_161252.jpg
IMG_20240406_161252.jpg (426.77 KiB) Viewed 303 times
That leads us to the next steps I have in mind:
  • Windsreen surround refresh, it is rotten and as some here seems to have succeded in changing it on Coupe's without taking off the screen I will have a go
  • Playing with the EPS motor ring and chasing plays in the streering system, maybe changing tie rods and control arms
  • If necessary playing with front toe
  • A steering wheel refurb has been on the list for a while but I had to prioritise other jobs... maybe for my birthday :P
  • Some front end aesthetics: new lower grill, refresh fog lights, implementing brake cooling and a front splitter
IMG_20240406_161309.jpg
IMG_20240406_161309.jpg (357.98 KiB) Viewed 303 times
Will hang around to carry materials/people and in emergency - Ford Fiesta MK7 1.0 Ecoboost - Black, white rally rims, white decals, remapped

Barty

Post by Barty » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:03 pm

You’ve certainly been busy, nice job! :thumbsup:
Rear wheels stolen..?! Sheesh…
Four Alfa's and a Ducati later, I've turned to the dark side...
"Drive German, wear Italian, kiss French"

Z4: Tiefgrüen Metallic E86 3.0Si / Insta @bartsbuilds

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:31 pm

Some great progress there OP and your 18" wheels look superb. :thumbsup:

Like you I didn't get on with the MPSS tyres my car had when I bought it in colder wetter weather, and I also had an alignment to M3 CSL spec which transformed how the car drove.

Good luck with the next steps. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Meds

Post by Meds » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:07 pm

Damn, that Montego Blue colour looks excellent.! 💙
E86 3.0si - Koni, Eibach, Eisenmann. viewtopic.php?t=143973
F31 340i MPPSK - Carrying family, bikes, kayaks and everything else.

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:11 pm

Windsreen surround refresh, it is rotten and as some here seems to have succeded in changing it on Coupe's without taking off the screen I will have a go

Please take care with this as I have recently responded to another forum member about this as they decided to try and change the seal and broke the windscreen . It really is pot luck as to how well your windscreen was put in on an E86 . It will either not be a problem or an absolute nightmare . Mine was a nightmare and I ended up having to get a professional to get it sorted .

A steering wheel refurb has been on the list for a while but I had to prioritise other jobs... maybe for my birthday :P
Some front end aesthetics: new lower grill, refresh fog lights, implementing brake cooling and a front splitter

In my opinion don`t bother refreshing fog lights just get the blanks or as you say you are going to implement brake cooling use the space for the fog lights to get air to the brakes . :thumbsup:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

axelleveau

Post by axelleveau » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:34 pm

Thanks all for the good feedback :thumbsup:

Meds, the colour looks great thanks to the phone. Being a daily the car is mega dirty when close... Paint correction and protection is also in the plan at some point thought I could be less lazy and give it a wash now :D
1536Z4 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:11 pm In my opinion don`t bother refreshing fog lights just get the blanks or as you say you are going to implement brake cooling use the space for the fog lights to get air to the brakes . :thumbsup:
I have been thinking about how to go on that one. I currently have painted the fog lights black to hide the crusty interior. I am 50/50 between doing an OEM+ job and keeping shiny fog lights with the ducts below or as you said use the fog light hole as the duct itself. In any case this will just be for looks and the fun-gineering, maybe I could offer the 3D print files for the ducts if I succeed :driving:

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:43 am

axelleveau wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:34 pm maybe I could offer the 3D print files for the ducts if I succeed
:thumbsup:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:41 pm

Saw this car on the other thread... lovely... I am going to try to learn to love the E85 and later models, but I am here for the Coupes and yours is a stunner! My one criticism... sorry... I love the interior but it's not the colour I'd choose to go with the perfect exterior colour. 9/10 (at least 2 or 3 higher than mine!)

axelleveau

Post by axelleveau » Mon May 06, 2024 6:59 pm

Weekend started great until it turned to bad with family issues leading to my better half (or should I say safer, see pictures below) urgently going abroad for at least a week, the positive on that is I will have more time to work on my front end refresh, the negative is that I did bite a lot there so will NEED the time and Z out of commission for at lest two weeks:
  • To start with car is now stuck without front wheels on the jack. I did what I have done a few times now which is jack on the front central position, remove wheels, do whatever work needs doing and if car as to be left overnight I lower it down on the jack as my driveway paving is narrow so being able to put jackstands under the sides mean taking all the space with the car. Well the key difference this time is my jack seal have totally gone and it does not go up anymore... Had to order a replacement from Halfraud (after wasting a trip there as their website stocks are off), it is OK as I was eyeing a new one for a while and I pray I'll be able to pick up from the side and recover.
  • Fully removed the headlight washers and hoses - Made my own fix to reuse the washer covers for free
    IMG_20240504_174330.jpg
    IMG_20240504_174330.jpg (94.66 KiB) Viewed 152 times
    IMG_20240504_174634.jpg
    IMG_20240504_174634.jpg (105.48 KiB) Viewed 152 times
  • Cleaned the side markers, including opening one as algae got inside and reglued it
  • Had to fight to remove the lower grill, and then fog lights
  • Now the fun part: I will replace the lower grill with a honey comb one and while at it making my own fog lights blanking plates out of black ABS sheets which in the future could become brake ducts
    IMG_20240506_175542_1.jpg
    IMG_20240506_175542_1.jpg (197 KiB) Viewed 152 times
  • The even funier part: an enabler for all of that is to be able to bend the styrene sheets... Here comes the brillant idea of digging out some resistive wire from an old project, doing some tests to figure out voltage/current to get red hot but not fry, grabbing a PC power supply, a bungee cord and a 6mm aluminium rod and voila a hot wire bender. See small test sample!
    IMG_20240506_175559.jpg
    IMG_20240506_175559.jpg (222.8 KiB) Viewed 152 times

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Mon May 06, 2024 7:36 pm

axelleveau wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:59 pm Fully removed the headlight washers and hoses - Made my own fix to reuse the washer covers for free
I did similar earlier in the week. I did not have the plastic top part of the washer, just a brand new cap that I did not want to glue to the bumper. I used a cork from a wine bottle with a bit removed to act in the same role as your clear perspex is doing. I held the cork in place with wire that ran between the two cap fixings, through the cork, and then all around, then down and tied it lower down on the bonnet. Your job look much neater and better... but mine has the advantage that the wire is a plan B and in theory if the cork somehow failed and the cap came loose it would still be hanging off the front of the bumper on the wire to be refixed later!

axelleveau

Post by axelleveau » Mon May 06, 2024 9:25 pm

Fred Smith wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:36 pm I did similar earlier in the week. I did not have the plastic top part of the washer, just a brand new cap that I did not want to glue to the bumper. I used a cork from a wine bottle with a bit removed to act in the same role as your clear perspex is doing. I held the cork in place with wire that ran between the two cap fixings, through the cork, and then all around, then down and tied it lower down on the bonnet. Your job look much neater and better... but mine has the advantage that the wire is a plan B and in theory if the cork somehow failed and the cap came loose it would still be hanging off the front of the bumper on the wire to be refixed later!
As a frenchy I approve the use of cork :roll: And good point about the wire being an additional safety in case the cap was to come off. I have some fishing line securing my bonnet badge as I have lost two already due to using the wrong size as I wanted the 50th anniversary badges :thumbsup:

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue May 07, 2024 8:09 am

axelleveau wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:59 pm family issues
Hope all goes well with the family issue . Good to see the updates :thumbsup: