Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Speed limit warning

Discussing the current generation Z4
ToddG

Speed limit warning

Post by ToddG » Mon May 06, 2024 2:47 pm

Does anyone know if the speed limit warning displayed on the dashboard display is based on camera recognition of street signs, or map data. It is not clear in the manual.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Speed limit warning

Post by buzyg » Mon May 06, 2024 4:43 pm

Most are based on map data.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Speed limit warning

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon May 06, 2024 5:48 pm

I think it must be some sort of combination as mine picks up temp signs like mobile works for grass cutting etc and sometimes stays on the restrictions until it sees a “proper sign” like another speed limit or a national speed limit roundel as the temp ones don’t have any notification that you’re through the restriction.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

ToddG

Speed limit warning

Post by ToddG » Tue May 07, 2024 12:47 pm

I use Waze (Android Auto) and know the speed limit is map based. But Waze maps are updated regularly, while the cars maps are not. Seeing as the car has a camera for lane keeping, I thought perhaps it 'reads' the speed limit signs. But I think it is map based.

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Speed limit warning

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue May 07, 2024 12:59 pm

ToddG wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:47 pm I use Waze (Android Auto) and know the speed limit is map based. But Waze maps are updated regularly, while the cars maps are not. Seeing as the car has a camera for lane keeping, I thought perhaps it 'reads' the speed limit signs. But I think it is map based.
    If it was only maps based it wouldn’t do as above and pick up temp signs

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

ToddG

Speed limit warning

Post by ToddG » Tue May 07, 2024 1:47 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:59 pm
      ToddG wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:47 pm I use Waze (Android Auto) and know the speed limit is map based. But Waze maps are updated regularly, while the cars maps are not. Seeing as the car has a camera for lane keeping, I thought perhaps it 'reads' the speed limit signs. But I think it is map based.
      It would be great if that is correct. I have got so used to looking at the Waze speed limit, I don't even see speed limit signs anymore...

BTW, the camera based detection may be one of the driver assist options. I have 5AS (single camera), but 5AU (triple camera) is a higher spec.

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Speed limit warning

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue May 07, 2024 2:20 pm

ToddG wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:47 pm
      Argyll Andy wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:59 pm
      It would be great if that is correct. I have got so used to looking at the Waze speed limit, I don't even see speed limit signs anymore...

BTW, the camera based detection may be one of the driver assist options. I have 5AS (single camera), but 5AU (triple camera) is a higher spec.
      Having had a think about it there’s definitely something reading “live” data.

The same thing happened to me twice, both times on a forum run, I always activate cruise when approaching a village/town etc, particularly when we were in Wales. Both times it was one of those speed limit signs that is a digital type display made up of DOTS forming the numbers. It wasn’t one of those green smiley faces if under and red scowling one if over. It was an actual speed notification sign. When a change of limit is approaching the HUD flashes SET for the new/reduced limit and I just press it

Both times I’d entered a 30 mph zone with one of those signs, both times the car dropped multiple gears and took for the hills, in sports+ mode too so progress was rapid. Looked at the heads up display and the cruise was set at 80 mph. It has misread the DOT sign both times, I’d hit SET without checking and the cruise control was now set to 80 in a 30 🙈

My car had all option packs including active cruise control so don’t know if functionality differs with different options/packs

The sign was sort of like this but the numbers were in red, s**t myself both times it happened :cry:if it relied solely on maps or already populated data on both these occasions when I pressed SET it would’ve done so at 30
      Attachments
      IMG_8344.jpeg
      IMG_8344.jpeg (31.49 KiB) Viewed 198 times

sars
        Lifer
        Lifer

Speed limit warning

Post by sars » Tue May 07, 2024 4:58 pm

It's part of the driving assistant pack, automatic speed limit recognition, good option but it can get a little confused sometimes.
        Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
        Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

ori

Speed limit warning

Post by ori » Tue May 07, 2024 7:32 pm

sars wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:58 pm It's part of the driving assistant pack, automatic speed limit recognition, good option but it can get a little confused sometimes.
        Correct!

PSQ777

Speed limit warning

Post by PSQ777 » Tue May 07, 2024 8:42 pm

It must be doing something live because I've seen it react to motorway matrix sign speed limit changes pretty quickly.

dr_john
        Lifer
        Lifer

Speed limit warning

Post by dr_john » Wed May 08, 2024 7:12 am

My previous g29 had a windscreen replacement which blew the fuse in the forward facing camera, rendering it out of action. It took a few days to sort it out, during which time the speed limit function was out of action.

Make what you will of that, but it seems obvious to me that the camera is at least an important part of this feature.
        Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack