Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Options for wheel spacers, aerial and steering wheel ?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Inspectorcluseo

Post by Inspectorcluseo » Tue May 07, 2024 9:02 pm

Hi all, after recently purchasing an E85 3.0 Si SE manual, I'm just working through a few bits that need doing, both fixes and improvements. At the moment the car has 17 inch alloys and as I've swapped the run flats for Goodyear F1's I'm inclined to keep these, at least for the foreseeable future. However, the wheels do look a little small in the arches, I wondered if some spacers would help ?

What are peoples views on this and are there some particular spacers that are recommended ?

I'd also like to swap the aerial to a stubby, again are there any particular recommendations to source one and is it easy to change ?

Finally, I'm not liking the steering wheel. I like the basic design, but despite giving it a deep clean, it soon returns to pretty hard / shiny leather and it's too thin. I have seen a few of the E85 M Sport wheels on ebay, albeit they look like they need a refurb. I'm wondering whether I'd be better to get mine refurbed and have the rim thickened up a little ?

All thoughts on the above welcomed...
2006 Z4 E85 3.0 Si manual

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Tue May 07, 2024 9:22 pm

Inspectorcluseo wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:02 pm Hi all, after recently purchasing an E85 3.0 Si SE manual, I'm just working through a few bits that need doing, both fixes and improvements. At the moment the car has 17 inch alloys and as I've swapped the run flats for Goodyear F1's I'm inclined to keep these, at least for the foreseeable future. However, the wheels do look a little small in the arches, I wondered if some spacers would help ?

What are peoples views on this and are there some particular spacers that are recommended ?

I'd also like to swap the aerial to a stubby, again are there any particular recommendations to source one and is it easy to change ?

Finally, I'm not liking the steering wheel. I like the basic design, but despite giving it a deep clean, it soon returns to pretty hard / shiny leather and it's too thin. I have seen a few of the E85 M Sport wheels on ebay, albeit they look like they need a refurb. I'm wondering whether I'd be better to get mine refurbed and have the rim thickened up a little ?

All thoughts on the above welcomed...
Spacers may help. Any hubcentric spacer will do, 15-20mm on the back with a standard offset and 10-15mm on the front seems to work. You could also lower the car (by fitting lowering springs) to reduce the gap between the wheel and the wheel arch. However, be careful if you’re doing spacers AND lowering or you may get “rubbing” on the inside of the wheel arches.

Don’t pay money for a stubby. They are horrible things. I have been given at least two by forum members for nothing and I have given them away for free too.

I don’t know much about steering wheel refurb, but Royals appear to be highly recommended for custom steering wheel refurbs, including making it thicker. A quick search on here should bring up some examples.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Inspectorcluseo

Post by Inspectorcluseo » Tue May 07, 2024 9:50 pm

Thanks for the info, I wasn't going to lower it, as it's riding quite well now with the new tyres and I don't want to ruin it !

Interesting re the stubby, it seemed to be a popular mod, but not a must do for me. I've seen Royals on various forums, will check out the pricing....
2006 Z4 E85 3.0 Si manual

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue May 07, 2024 10:33 pm

If you do opt for spacers make sure you order the longer wheel bots too! Alternatively a set of 17" E89 wheels would sit further out in the arches as they have different offsets.

Stubbies are still popular, albeit not with Zedebee! I quite like mine as it's neither Stubby nor Whippy (photo is of it on my previous Coupe).
Semi-Whippy 010919.jpg
Semi-Whippy 010919.jpg (178.78 KiB) Viewed 265 times

Royals do seem to be the "go to" place for a steering wheel refurb but IIRC you're looking at £250ish. But they'll do leather or Alcantara with a central marker or thicker rim, basically whatever you want and always seem to get good reviews.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

j3nks79

Post by j3nks79 » Wed May 08, 2024 11:27 am

I’ve had my steering wheel done by Jack Royal.
Fantastic job better that factory. 100% recommended
2009 09 Carbon Black Cinnamon E86

STC_Zed

Post by STC_Zed » Sat May 11, 2024 8:26 am

I’ve fitted 12mm front and 15mm rear spacers to mine from M-Tec. They were supplied with longer bolts but I’ll do a stud conversion at some point juts because it’s easier to fit the wheels. I think 12mm is generally the minimum required to clear the small lip on the hub, if it’s flush it can lead to wheel wobble (it certainly did on my wife’s old 125i with 10mm front spacers but not with 12mm).

Personally I like the stubby aerial, the stock horse whip one ages the car. I bought a genuine BMW one. They’re dead easy to change.

Another vote for Royal. I’ve had five wheels and various bits of trim done by them now and have always been happy with their work. All of my wheels were £180 plus postage (that’s fine nappa leather or Alcantara). I’ll be getting the wheel on my coupe sorted soon.