Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspension -no change

Tornado

Suspension -no change

Post by Tornado » Sat May 11, 2024 3:27 pm

Greetings People,
Just bought a 2009 Z4 e89 and I noticed that there’s no change in the suspension when I put it in Sport or Sport +. There’s no noise or anything.

The dash shows the mode change and I notice the revs are higher and the back end will slide in Sport +, but no firming up of suspension and the suspension seems pretty hard in Normal mode too.

I hear it’s expensive to fix so I’m hoping people have some good info they can share.

What goes wrong? (another post suggested leaked fluid).. where’s the best z4 mechanic in Melbourne that won’t screw me?

Can the struts be installed at home or are very special tools required?

Thanks all.
Last edited by Tornado on Sat May 18, 2024 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Suspension -no change

Post by enuff_zed » Sat May 11, 2024 4:10 pm

Are you sure you have adaptive suspension? They don't all have it, but still have Sports Mode for the other stuff.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Suspension -no change

Post by enuff_zed » Sat May 11, 2024 4:11 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:10 pm Are you sure you have adaptive suspension? They don't all have it, but still have Sports Mode for the other stuff.
Oh and just noted the irony of your user name and my avatar. :wink:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Suspension -no change

Post by B21 » Sat May 11, 2024 9:11 pm

Tornado wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:27 pm Greetings People,
Just bought a 2009 Z4 e89 and I noticed that there’s no change in the suspension when I put it in Sport or Sport +. There’s no noise or anything.

The dash shows the mode change and I notice the refs are higher and the back end will slide in sport +, but no forming up of suspension and the suspension seems pretty hard in comfort mode too.

I hear it’s expensive to fix so I’m hoping people have some good info they can share.

What goes wrong? (another post suggested leaked fluid).. where’s the best z4 mechanic in Melbourne that won’t screw me?

Can the struts be installed at home or are very special tools required?

Thanks all.
What model of E89 is it ?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Tornado

Suspension -no change

Post by Tornado » Sat May 11, 2024 11:40 pm

It’s 2009 35i S drive with turbos. The guy said “it’s got everything” and it has a carbon fibre roof and steering wheel, plus spoiler and little guards on the nose. I’m a bit unsure of the exact specs though.. It has garish M logos projected onto the ground, M badges on the sides and wheels -but not on the door step trims, not on the grill, and not on the back. Plus the 35i - I hear that’s actually 3.0 L ? Very confusing.

I’m a bit nervous about any suspension problems because I’ve just seen a video of the struts breaking through their plates at the top – it seems the plates are too weak to handle repeated shocks - and the guy in the video installed “reinforcement” plates.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Suspension -no change

Post by Nictrix » Sat May 11, 2024 11:45 pm

Sounds like you have an se model and as its a 35i and not 35is it probably doesn't have adaptive suspension as it was an extra on 35i models.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Suspension -no change

Post by B21 » Sat May 11, 2024 11:55 pm

2009 there was no MSport 35i didn’t arrive till 2010

It’s got a faux wrap on the roof..nobody has ever made a true c/f roof for an E89

3 litre n54 engine rated at 305 BHP in that model..

Very unlikely as was said that it had adaptive shocks..so sport mode change stability control, steering and throttle response on that..and it had a DCT box the gearbox program..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

Special Kay

Suspension -no change

Post by Special Kay » Sun May 12, 2024 12:19 am

isn't there a website you can use to indicate all the options and spec according to your vin number? I thought that would be a more precise picture of what you have installed.

DonDon

Suspension -no change

Post by DonDon » Sun May 12, 2024 8:31 am

Special Kay wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:19 am isn't there a website you can use to indicate all the options and spec according to your vin number? I thought that would be a more precise picture of what you have installed.
See this post viewtopic.php?t=142612&hilit=vin&start=29
2013 E89 28i auto

javis20

Suspension -no change

Post by javis20 » Sun May 12, 2024 1:06 pm

1. Just turn your front wheel to one side and look at your strut. If the car has adaptive suspension, the shock will have a motor mounted perpendicular to the shock with electrical wires attached. It's very obvious. If it does, then your problem may be worn out struts. Common for them to wear out before 100k.
2. If there isn't an adaptive strut on the front, run the cars vin to see if it was supposed to there. If it once had adaptive suspension, the previous owner might have coded them out and replaced with regular non adaptive struts.

Tornado

Suspension -no change

Post by Tornado » Sat May 18, 2024 6:10 am

DonDon wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:31 am
Special Kay wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:19 am isn't there a website you can use to indicate all the options and spec according to your vin number? I thought that would be a more precise picture of what you have installed.
See this post viewtopic.php?t=142612&hilit=vin&start=29
Hey thanks, I tried that site but it didn't tell me anything, just listed a bunch of upgrade products.

Tornado

Suspension -no change

Post by Tornado » Sat May 18, 2024 6:12 am

javis20 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:06 pm 1. Just turn your front wheel to one side and look at your strut. If the car has adaptive suspension, the shock will have a motor mounted perpendicular to the shock with electrical wires attached. It's very obvious. If it does, then your problem may be worn out struts. Common for them to wear out before 100k.
2. If there isn't an adaptive strut on the front, run the cars vin to see if it was supposed to there. If it once had adaptive suspension, the previous owner might have coded them out and replaced with regular non adaptive struts.
Thanks for this. I thought there would be a way to tell. I'll check it out next time I go for a ride.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Suspension -no change

Post by B21 » Sat May 18, 2024 9:26 am

Just tip the VIN into a decoder..

https://www.mdecoder.com/

Simples

javis20

Suspension -no change

Post by javis20 » Sat May 18, 2024 10:23 pm

I believe the 2009 did have the adaptive suspension option. My guess is one of the previous owners replaced them with regular shocks. Here is a picture of my leaking Adaptive shock...
Adaptive Shock_2.1.1.jpg
Adaptive Shock_2.1.1.jpg (90.52 KiB) Viewed 46 times