Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coilover Advice Needed!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
adnan.exe

Coilover Advice Needed!

Post by adnan.exe » Tue May 14, 2024 2:47 am

My Stance+ coilovers have recently just packed up.

Due to this, I have decided now would be a great time to upgrade to the BC Racing Coilovers.

What are your opinions on BC and if anyone has them on an E85 please let me know what spring rate you went for (I'm lost).

I daily drive my car and would love it to be softer over some of the very harsh potholes. A fast road setup is what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

plenty

Coilover Advice Needed!

Post by plenty » Tue May 14, 2024 9:56 am

You won't go wrong with the recommended spring rates of 5kgs F/8 kgs R.

DaveP

Coilover Advice Needed!

Post by DaveP » Tue May 14, 2024 11:33 am

I run BCs, and they are firm even on the softest setting with the recommended spring rates. But they have absolutely transformed the way the car feels.

TheDan

Coilover Advice Needed!

Post by TheDan » Tue May 14, 2024 1:59 pm

I haven't yet bought them, but am planning to buy and install BC coilovers in the next few months. The recommended spring rates now are 5.5kgs F and 9kgs R. I will be going for custom spring rates of either 7/9 or 8/10, but will make a snap decision when I order :P

Good news I found out about the BC coilovers is that now by default they have a recessed top mount (like the image below) so that you can get full camber adjustment without the small adjustment bolts hitting the strut tower.
image002.png
image002.png (614 KiB) Viewed 302 times

adnan.exe

Coilover Advice Needed!

Post by adnan.exe » Tue May 14, 2024 3:21 pm

Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to be ordering some BC coilovers now. I called and they recommended the 5/8kg/mm just like you suggested. So that's what I will be going for.

Thanks again!

plenty

Coilover Advice Needed!

Post by plenty » Tue May 14, 2024 3:35 pm

I think 5/8 will be fine, but if you want to make changes later you can buy replacement springs from BC. You can go +/- 2 kgs on spring rate, keeping the same dampers.

adnan.exe

Coilover Advice Needed!

Post by adnan.exe » Tue May 14, 2024 4:13 pm

Thats great! How do I set them up so that they are even? just measure everything?

plenty

Coilover Advice Needed!

Post by plenty » Tue May 14, 2024 5:55 pm

Measure first before installing, so that ride height is even left to right. Then after they're installed and you've drive 200-300 miles to let them settle, measure again. Don't worry about up to 6-7mm variance left to right - that's normal. If you need to adjust, it's easy to do in situ (it will be obvious how to once you install).

adnan.exe

Coilover Advice Needed!

Post by adnan.exe » Tue May 14, 2024 10:14 pm

Appreciate it thank you. Should I try and match the current coilover length to get a similar ride height?

Rsipad

Coilover Advice Needed!

Post by Rsipad » Sun May 19, 2024 1:22 am

adnan.exe wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:47 am My Stance+ coilovers have recently just packed up.

Due to this, I have decided now would be a great time to upgrade to the BC Racing Coilovers.

What are your opinions on BC and if anyone has them on an E85 please let me know what spring rate you went for (I'm lost).

I daily drive my car and would love it to be softer over some of the very harsh potholes. A fast road setup is what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
Fitted BCs just over a month ago. Went for 10K front - 12K rear on my daily Z4 which I also track. Front is as low as possible (normal BC BRs, not extreme low) and rear sits 1/4" above that for 1/4" rake. I haven't messed around with the dampening adjustment so far. Just kept it at 16 clicks. My back was hurting for the first 2 days (I also have a bucket seat) going from blown oem to these. Also occasionally hurts after long mountain runs on very bumpy roads. On road trips, I have easily done 2+ hours with my current setup. I think if I turn the dampening down to 8 clicks it would be perfect for the street, but I can't be bothered :rofl: Just also keep in mind that I am on the younger side (19), so my level of comfort might be different :D
2006 Z4 3.0i (Montego Blue)

adnan.exe

Coilover Advice Needed!

Post by adnan.exe » Sun May 19, 2024 1:29 am

Thanks for the input! I've gone for the recommnded spring set up as I've heard a lot of good things and springs are cheap to swap out I think Ill start out at 16 clicks also!

I bought them as I thought it was the cause of my sticky steering but I've looked more into it and I think it's related to the electric motor for the power steering, I'm going to give turning the motor ago :/

Rsipad

Coilover Advice Needed!

Post by Rsipad » Sun May 19, 2024 6:05 am

adnan.exe wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:29 am Thanks for the input! I've gone for the recommnded spring set up as I've heard a lot of good things and springs are cheap to swap out I think Ill start out at 16 clicks also!

I bought them as I thought it was the cause of my sticky steering but I've looked more into it and I think it's related to the electric motor for the power steering, I'm going to give turning the motor ago :/
Nice! Let us know how you get on :thumbsup: good luck with the steering motor issue
2006 Z4 3.0i (Montego Blue)