Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

National Service

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
raymond.harper

National Service

Post by raymond.harper » Sun May 26, 2024 7:52 pm

Mr Sunak just wants to end up in California after the 4th of July so he also intends to bring back Capital Punishment just to make sure. If push comes to shove, I can now fly a drone albeit badly. Well, it is a Temu special with crashes with alarming frequency (I think this is useful in the battleground), so I can step into the breach!

MarshMA10

National Service

Post by MarshMA10 » Sun May 26, 2024 8:57 pm

Think announcing one’s own age should be mandatory when discussing conscription of people in a particular age bracket!

Wonder how many of the people who support this policy would support it if it were a mandatory year for everyone in the entire country?

I despise this sort of NIMBYism in all its various guises.
2010 E89 35i — turbo boat hooligan - viewtopic.php?t=131886
2008 Ducati 1098S — two wheeled nightmare

pvr
Legend
Legend

National Service

Post by pvr » Sun May 26, 2024 9:14 pm

MarshMA10 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:57 pm Think announcing one’s own age should be mandatory when discussing conscription of people in a particular age bracket!

Wonder how many of the people who support this policy would support it if it were a mandatory year for everyone in the entire country?

We had conscription in NL so have lived through that era of army medicals etc
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

National Service

Post by enuff_zed » Sun May 26, 2024 9:18 pm

MarshMA10 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:57 pm Think announcing one’s own age should be mandatory when discussing conscription of people in a particular age bracket!

Ok. I was going to leave this one alone, but happy to say I’m just short of 60 and I think it’s a great idea.

Oh and I did 23 and a half years ensuring we all remained free to exercise our varied opinions.

Does that make me a WIMPY?
Welcomed In My Pensionable Years.
😁
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

BeeEmm

National Service

Post by BeeEmm » Sun May 26, 2024 10:44 pm

National Service only applied to young men, if it is re-introduced in the near future in a reduced format it will have to apply to young Women as well. It has been a Woman's world for the last 20 odd years and if it doesn't suit then it will never happen.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

National Service

Post by Pondrew » Sun May 26, 2024 11:38 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:18 pm Oh and I did 23 and a half years ensuring we all remained free to exercise our varied opinions.
What...by being an aircraft mechanic (on a very tidy taxpayer funded pension)?

Seriously, mate, I know you were 'in the RAF' but you can't claim to be the stalwart of world peace forever. :roll:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Vornwend

National Service

Post by Vornwend » Sun May 26, 2024 11:57 pm

Sometimes life is stranger than fiction

https://x.com/YesPMQuoter/status/1794560983379177615
Now: 2004 Z4 3.0i - Merlot Red
Before: VW Corrado VR6 Storm - Classic Green

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

National Service

Post by mmm-five » Mon May 27, 2024 12:08 am

At 17, in the late 80s, I applied to join the Army and RAF.

Did a few entrance exams, and then got a list of roles they thought I had the aptitude for…attack helicopter pilot was unfortunately not one of them.

I put my name down for ordnance & munitions technician in the Army, and avionics technician for the RAF.

Had a follow up test with the RAF, but completely failed that as it was a 2 hour paper on electronics…and I had no clue about that, and was expecting to learn it all as an RAF apprentice/trainee…I thought that was the whole point.

But I got accepted into the army, but would have to wait for the next apprentice intake. 6 months later got told I was now too old (at just under 18) to join the next intake, as they’d changed the criteria and you now had to be under 18 at intake :headbang:

Wasted 6 months working at McDonalds whilst I was waiting and was really pissed off when I got the letter. Ended up going onto computer programming course instead as I couldn’t stand McDonalds any more.

Maybe my next 30 years of experience in pyrotechnics and driving fast over rough surfaces will qualify me as an expert in some future war?
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

National Service

Post by enuff_zed » Mon May 27, 2024 3:11 am

Pondrew wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:38 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:18 pm Oh and I did 23 and a half years ensuring we all remained free to exercise our varied opinions.
What...by being an aircraft mechanic (on a very tidy taxpayer funded pension)?

Seriously, mate, I know you were 'in the RAF' but you can't claim to be the stalwart of world peace forever. :roll:
And when I read comments like this I wonder why I bothered.
Doesn’t matter what role you sign up for. I read a quote that servicemen and women sign a blank cheque to the sovereign to a value up to and including their life. Every one agrees to that.
And I didn’t find the Gulf War to be a particularly cushy number if it helps you justify the pension.
If you addressed each single member of the RAF in the same manner then there would be no RAF at all.
Then you’d only be able to swap your Lada for a Trabant every other week.
Mate!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

National Service

Post by Scubaregs » Mon May 27, 2024 8:21 am

I remember signing that blank cheque when I joined the air cadets. Considering how rough my hometown was, I count myself lucky I got out alive. :D
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

National Service

Post by Nanu » Mon May 27, 2024 7:29 pm

Most of the objections I have heard is that the military won't be able to cope or its not the right environment for someone who doesn't want to be there. But the military bit is not compulsory so anyone who doesn't want to serve can do something else.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

National Service

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon May 27, 2024 9:49 pm

In my teens I would have been horrified to think I might have to do some sort of National Service! :o

And I wouldn't want to inflict that on todays teenagers. It's almost like the Tories have got fed up with being in Government and are looking for policies that will ensure they lose the Election. :?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

National Service

Post by MikeyH » Mon May 27, 2024 11:02 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:49 pm In my teens I would have been horrified to think I might have to do some sort of National Service! :o

And I wouldn't want to inflict that on todays teenagers. It's almost like the Tories have got fed up with being in Government and are looking for policies that will ensure they lose the Election. :?
+ one :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

National Service

Post by TitanTim » Mon May 27, 2024 11:21 pm

Well I learnt today that an ancient tomb at my local church has been destroyed by vandals. All I see on social media these days is youths on Ebikes riding around Central London and I'm sure other inner cities snatching phones off people. Youths stealing Ebikes and scooters off the streets, peddling drugs etc etc, like a festering disease all of which is forever on the rise and yet nothing is done with deterrents in place. I'm in big favour of some kind of National Service or something similar and would go as far to consider bringing back corporal punishment. At least have some consequences for one's actions. The problem is this country is such a wuss, too scared to do anything and just carries on letting lawlessness prevail, it's really quite pathetic.

Other countries have the likes of National Service that go way beyond anything we've ever had and which I'm sure benefits from it and no doubt has a more respectful and law abiding society as a result.

Tim.
Last edited by TitanTim on Tue May 28, 2024 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

National Service

Post by Pondrew » Mon May 27, 2024 11:38 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:11 amMate!
:thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!