Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Noisy fuel pump - Sorted :-)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
coupe-sport

Noisy fuel pump - Sorted :-)

Post by coupe-sport » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:32 pm

I've noticed lately a whine (around 100hz or so) coming from the rear of the car - only at idle. Not always constant. Really noticeable tonight when stuck in traffic. When i got home i had a look under the car and its coming from around the rear diff area - Is this the fuel pump making the noise (normally more of a buzz but generally very quiet if mounted in the tank) ? Is there a pump for circulating oil out from the diff to an oil cooler ??

Any guidance appreciated.

Cheers

James
Last edited by coupe-sport on Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sapphire Black 3.0 coupe | Monaco Blue 2.0 roadster

fire-n-ice

Re: Noisy fuel pump ?

Post by fire-n-ice » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:03 am

Sounds like your dmt pump might be going bad. It's located around the differential area nearer the passenger side - it pressurizes the fuel tank to check for leaks. You could have some diff fluid that has been over-filled, there is a breather hole on the top where it will overflow if necessary. I'd get that pump checked out.
T.
In loving memory of TJ. "618 - Out of service and at home"

coupe-sport

Post by coupe-sport » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:17 am

Is that related to the emissions control system ?

Spoke to my dealer this morning so i'm going to take it in tomorrow morning and get one of the tech guys to have a look.

Cheers

James

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:44 pm

Hi James; Absolutely it is :thumbsup: PLease let us know what they find and what they do to remedy the situation for you. It really isn't that big a deal provided it's repaired now.
Small thing, no biggie [we hope :wink: ]
T.

coupe-sport

Post by coupe-sport » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:51 am

Just back from the dealer. Luckily it was making the noise this morning so a quick poke around with the stethescope pointed to the fuel pump which is sounding like its on its last legs. They also stuck it on the diagnostics to check for any stored faults but nothing came up. I've had problems with hesitation and occasional misfiring at high revs which could have been down to drops in fuel pressure so a new pump should sort all this out. I'm booked in on the 24th for a new pump to be fitted. I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers

James

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:50 pm

Good news.. :thumbsup:
It's nice that the car cooperated while at the dealership.

Z4Z4

Re: Noisy fuel pump - New pump being fitted

Post by Z4Z4 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:44 am

I also have a noisey fuel pump for the 2nd time on my 05 3.0i. This one went during homecoming. Took it to the tech tent and they checked it out.

Have to go 120 miles RT to have it serviced. Mine is very loud during a cold start, so of course they want it the night before. Only thing bad about that is they leave it out all night, I NEVER leave it out at night or in the rain. Everytime I take it for service, it pours!!!! :x

coupe-sport

Re: Noisy fuel pump - New pump being fitted

Post by coupe-sport » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:17 pm

Now done. Haven't had a chance to give it a good blast yet but it feels stronger and the hesitation appears to have gone. Will report back more when i've had a chance to test it properly 8)

James

coupe-sport

Re: Noisy fuel pump - Sorted :-)

Post by coupe-sport » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:16 pm

Wow - what a difference :D

Revs cleanly all through the rev range - throttle response is so much better (thought i'd accidentally knocked the sport button) and the hesitation has gone. Fantastic difference :D :D

James

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:04 pm

coupe-sport, glad you got it sorted :thumbsup:

Z4Z4

Post by Z4Z4 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:25 am

Glad you got your problem fixed.

My dealer has had my Z for a week and hasn't found the problem, they say when they start the car in the morning it doesn't make any noise. So, I can pick my lemon ooops CAR up. :evil:

Anyone who was parked close to me at Homecoming (Embassy) sure heard how loud it was 2 days in a row.

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:49 pm

Z4Z4 - Are they trying to replicate the problem under the conditions you've experienced them? I gave specific instructions to the dealership a couple of weeks ago and insisted that if they did not drive the vehicle in THIS way, they were not going to replicate. They did and were successful. Don't pick it up if you're not satisfied. Do some research on the net, take them a folder full of the same problems that others have had and what other dealerships did to correct the problem. I walked in BMW of Macon with a folder about 1/2" thick with papers pertaining to my issues, it helped them and I got what I wanted - a fixed Z.
Good luck
T.

Z4Z4

Post by Z4Z4 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:06 pm

I had one fuel pump replaced when I first got the car.

It always made the noise when you just turn the key on first thing in the morning. It had that very same noise the first time and it was the fuel pump. When I took it to the dealer, they said" It's very rare to replace a fuel pump one time, we have never had to replace one twice" . So where's that leave me? I'm picking it up now, if it makes that noise again, they will get another call to listen to it over the phone. So, here goes another day off work to go 120 miles RT for nothing.