Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Powered USB Install

Mikees

Powered USB Install

Post by Mikees » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:35 pm

Hi, after having a few days off work with no plans, I decided to give myself a mini project. This is based on the numerous other "usb/powered" guides on this forum.
I have just finished installing a powered usb socket to the blanking plate under my centre console. The usb is connected to a fuse socket that powers the USB when the key is at the second click. The switch allows for the cigarette lighter to be switched off when USB is not in use.

As i am no elec. guru, was wandering if someone with the knowhow could give it a brief view over and look for any failings in what I have done.
All components have cost me roughly £15.

Here are the photos of the different steps I took.

Soldered / crimped the various components. Inline fuse (3amp), 2 way switch, female cigarette lighter (+tive centre contact, -tive outside contact). Spade crimped at fuse box connections.
All connections were properly insulated later.

Tested set up to check functionality.

USB male to female panel mounted socket and 2 way switch was fitted to the blanking plate.

After picture of blanking plate. USB 'hole' still requiring some finishing touches.

Final fuse box set up. +tve blade attached to bottom left fuse contact. -tve attached to bolt point bottom right of picture.

Final setup.

Fin!

Thanks in advance!

Titanium Silver 3.0Si Coupe 07 / Sat-Nav / Black Leather

texasjohn

Re: Powered USB Install

Post by texasjohn » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:57 am

Great mod, good work.
Gone: Z4 3.0i SMG Titanium Silver/Black, Z4MR Sepang Bronze/Sepang, Z4MR Silver Grey

TH3R4POR

Re: Powered USB Install

Post by TH3R4POR » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:12 pm

looks great 8)