Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New iPhone, best solution for link to Z4

Mr Whippy

Re: New iPhone, best solution for link to Z4

Post by Mr Whippy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:48 pm

Photos, haha!

:)

Sounds like a neat job...

I'm tempted by a Tom Tom iPhone holder thingy, as it adds hands free and a microphone, charging and better support if using the sat nav... tempted to just buy one of those, but no idea where I'd want to put it yet. There isn't much room in the Z4 for such a thing really...

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

Siftah

Post by Siftah » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:12 pm

Mr Whippy wrote: I'm tempted by a Tom Tom iPhone holder thingy, as it adds hands free and a microphone, charging and better support if using the sat nav... tempted to just buy one of those, but no idea where I'd want to put it yet. There isn't much room in the Z4 for such a thing really...

Dave
The TomTom fits quite nicely on the right hand side of the dash. I'll take pics tommorrow if I remember.

I've plumbed the charger in behind the dash and routed the cable up too, so it's quite neat and tidy. Turns on and charges when the cars in position 1 or later too, rather than being on all the time as it is off the cigarette lighter socket. The tomtom hands-free on the iPhone mount is crap compared to the BMW one though, the volume level from the speaker is nothing special either.

Works great if you're using the Aux-In cable with Spotify/iTunes on the phone as all the audio is fed out together to the hifi (Tomtom+Music) and you can still use the BMW Bluetooth hands free for phone calls and have it mute properly.

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:18 am

Problem is I have no bluetooth, but I would use the aux-in on the stereo for all iPhone audio. I guess it'll work ok like that.

Really need to trial one before I buy, but it is VERY hard to find exact details of what it can and can't do.

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

Siftah

Post by Siftah » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:58 pm

Mr Whippy wrote:Problem is I have no bluetooth, but I would use the aux-in on the stereo for all iPhone audio. I guess it'll work ok like that.

Really need to trial one before I buy, but it is VERY hard to find exact details of what it can and can't do.

Dave
Well ask away and I'll answer what I can :)

The current tomtom phone mount doesn't fit the iPhone 4 btw, it does with a slight modification however - you basically need to add a little foam pad to the back of it to make up for the iPhone 4 being slightly thinner than the 3G/3GS.

Hotride

Post by Hotride » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:01 am

just get the Parrot MKI9200. I have it in my car it only has 1 small remote that you can fit anywhere (no cables). and it has a screen that displays everything better then any of the other devices. I have it, the screen sits beside my dash and is soo easy to navigate, it even displays album covers!!

Then you can connect your iphone to it (via iphone usual connector) and play music through the stereo, or stream music from your iphone to it through bluetooth, it will also give you handsfree bluetooth for your phone if you dont have it already. see my how to post if you want some install info http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 31&t=21810