Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

runflat loyalists

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift

Choose your tyre preference

Poll ended at Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:36 pm

Runflats - because its adequately comfortable and I see no reason for a change
24%
Runflats - because, although I hate the stiffness, its safer due to less chance of a flat tyre
22%
Non Runflats - because runflats are so uncomfortable, it makes my car feel like a bone shaking machine
52%
Non Runflats - because I dont use my car for long trips, so flat tyre is not an issue - hence I can afford to have a bit more softness
1%

Total votes: 67

nicko

Re: runflat loyalists

Post by nicko » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:50 pm

Kiowan wrote:I'll probably make an anonymous call to my insurer before I swap to check that they don't charge and then tell them, if they do charge or won't cover non runflats I may just do it anyway without telling them as I do not believe they can refuse a claim due to it.
I just renewed my insurance with Elephant, and told them I would be changing to non-Runflats shortly (Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric). They said that was fine and there was no charge.
(I hadn't told them I had already changed to non-runflat winter tyres though)
56 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport, Montego Blue, Champagne Leather, 135Ms, ZHP

rhys4

Post by rhys4 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Elephants never forget

ScottM

Post by ScottM » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:05 pm

>> the evidence from recent purchasers is that newer runflats are significantly better riding

I've noticed that the biggest haters of runflats tend to be E85 owners? My opinion is that BMW now better understand how to tune the suspension for runflats and the E89 seems to be a lot better. Also the latest runflats are a lot better than the original designs. How much have people been tainted by bad experience in the past that colours their view of current runflats?

I find the ride in my car (2011 E89) perfectly comfortable on 17" rims with the standard tyres - I have adaptive suspension and on 'normal' I'd say it's very cosseting. I usually drive on 'sport' to make it a bit firmer! Based on comments on this forum I was expecting to hate the tyres, but I've been pleasantly surprised.

>> if they do charge or won't cover non runflats I may just do it anyway without telling them as I do not believe they can refuse a claim due to it

Don't do that. If you've fitted normal tyres instead of RFTs and not told them, they will use that as an excuse to refuse a claim. The only way they couldn't refuse the claim on those grounds would be if the tyres you've fitted were an original option from the manufacturer - which in this case they aren't. Of course your experience may vary, I'm just counselling caution based on what I've seen.