Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

groaning seats anyone?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
angus

groaning seats anyone?

Post by angus » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Hi there,

When my father in law came out for a ride with me the other day, his passenger seat was making a right old noise. Groaning and creaking like an old ship.

Is there any particular part that I can oil or something to stop this ??
Cheers
Angus has a 58plate 3.0si sport Coupe, black, auto, xenons, piano black, comfort pack, tinted glass

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Re: groaning seats anyone?

Post by a11y » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:43 pm

Right, it could be small parts of rubber/plastic missing off part of the under seat mechanism. I only know this because I've previously had my seats in bits. Would be far easier if I could locate a photo, but since I can't here goes...

The base cushion attaches to seat base towards the rear with a "hook" around a protruding pin on the frame at either side. This has a bit of translucent green plastic around the "hook" to stop metal-to-metal contact. This can fall off sometimes, leading to creaking/groaning from the seat. If you don;t have the green bits, electrical tape around the "hooks" can do the job.

Bit of a faff though as imagine you'll have to remove and partially dismantle the seats.

Also, could be where the springs seat onto the rear of the subframe.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:47 pm

angus wrote:Hi there,

When my father in law came out for a ride with me the other day, his passenger seat was making a right old noise. Groaning and creaking like an old ship.

Cheers
If the seat is set right back the weight of someone in it can make it touch the rear wall causing the leather to squeak and groan. Dropping the seat forward a bit cured mine.

I gave my old father a ride the other week and he squeaked and groaned a few times, but that was more to do with the effects of acceleration on a dodgy bladder :driving:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:02 pm

Ditto what Ewazix says.....if right back the seats have an annoying habit of rubbing against the bulkhead and making a noise when you go over a bump...
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

Z4 Pilot

Post by Z4 Pilot » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:01 am

angus wrote:Hi there,

Cheers
Well . . . if he is anything like my father-in-law its likely that it's not the seat making a groaning and creaking noise . . . it's likely his wallet. :poke: Z4 Pilot
2005 Z4 Roadster 3.0i, Sterling Gray Metallic, Black Extended High Performance Leather, Sycamore Wood Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package, Sequential Manual Gearbox, 30mm GAU-8/A Gatling Gun and Perma Grin.

richtea78

Post by richtea78 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:35 am

Also noticed the same thing with the seat right back so I dont put it back, it doesnt cause any issues for me and Im 6 foot 1 so theres plenty of leg room, it depends how far you like to lean it back I think, I have my seat very upright.