Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Red dot Yellow Dot - Falkens (and other tyres)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Red dot Yellow Dot - Falkens (and other tyres)

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:44 pm

I know a lot of you have switched to Falkens, but wonder how many are aware of Falken and several other manufacturers marking the tyres with dots for the way they should be fitted.

Certainly few tyre shops seem to know about it and I had my buddy fit a set for me this morning aligning the red dot the valve and the result was the smallest amount of weights I’ve seen to get it perfect…

You can read all about it here:
http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com/pu ... %20doc.pdf

In simple terms the yellow dot goes to the valve (or marked point on steel rims) as it’s the lightest point of the tyre, while the valve is the heaviest (on an alloy). If there’s a red ignore the yellow and put the red to the valve, as that’s the balance point where run-out force is greatest.

This seems to be getting more common with several manufacturers adopting the practice.

Just thought I’d share something else for you to worry about 
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Red dot Yellow Dot - Falkens (and other tyres)

Post by Taz » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:51 pm

i thought every one knew that, well all tyre fitters at least, they should if they don't :poke:

Redzedfour
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Redzedfour » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:58 pm

I have a set of falkens sat in the garage which were fitted to my Roadster,but i can't recall seeing any red or yellow dots on them i will have to check.

Edit just ckecked two of the tyres and yes there is red dots on them,will keep that in mind when i come to fit them to the coupe :thumbsup:
Last edited by Redzedfour on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous,Bright Red 2.2 Roadster
Gone 3.0si Sport coupe Auto,Pearl Grey Leather & Piano Black. MODS, Stubby,Aux,Aero Wipers,De-Badged,452's & Led N/P lights

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:58 pm

This is interesting and new to me - I always assumed new tyres were pretty uniform in weight being a donut shape :)
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:01 pm

not sure that all tyres have them, but if they do the dot should be next to the valve

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:29 pm

Useful info :thumbsup: ... that I'll doubtless forget next time I buy tyres :roll:
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:31 pm

It's one of those things I learnt a few years ago after receiving a dodgy set of tyres that vibrated the steering severely. They turned out to be poorly made (nothing to do with the red/yellow dots in the end) despite being a premium brand and luckily I got a replacement set FOC.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:37 pm

First I'd ever heard of it, thanks for the info... :thumbsup:
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)