Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Stephen James - Enfield

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Stephen James - Enfield

Post by jimbo1958 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:05 pm

Got in the car after work and I can't select any gears forward or reverse.
After about 30 seconds the "N" on the cluster changes to "FN" and the SMG warning light comes on. Also the car won't rev. It also feels like its engaging/disengaging at 2 to 3 second intervals with a hammering noise coming from the diff area.
The previous owner had the pump replaced under warranty a few years ago so maybe it's not that.
Had to leave the car at work and will contact my Warranty Co.
Car is covered by "BMW Insured Warranty". Anyone had experience of?
Really p****d off. The hour and a half bus journey home through North London didn't help. :x
Will update tomrrow.

******UPDATE******

Day 1 7/4/11- Called BMW Warranty, vehicle broke down, gearbox problem. Sent out Service Engineer followed by recovery vehicle who took vehicle to Stephen James of Enfield.

Day 2 8/4/11

Day 3 9/4/11

Day 4 10/4/11

Day 5 11/4/11 - Stephen James contact me for the first time today..........by TEXT. :headbang: Informed me that they're starting work on my car tomorrow. Not happy that I never received a call on Day 1to say they had received my car with some indication when they'd commence work.

Day 6 12/4/11 - Received a call from the Service Manager to say that they've carried out tests but would need to drop the gearbox. He suggested it could be clutch and or Flywheel at around £900 each. I asked what would be covered under warranty. He didn't know I had warranty and suggested that the repairs wouldn't be covered. :headbang: I told him he should be speaking to BMW Warranty. Also informed him that I haven't been offered a courtesy car. He'd call me tomorrow with an update.

Day 7 13/4/11

Day 8 14/4/11

Day 9 15/4/11 - It's now Friday. Surely they'll give me an update. Nothing. :thumbsdown:

Day 10 16/4/11 - Saturday morning. I'm absolutely seething. After informing me 5 days ago that I'm looking at a hefty bill and then not updating me. Seriously P****D off.
Phoned Stephen James and was informed by receptionist that the Service Manager would call me back in half an hour.
:rofl: He didn't phone as expected.
Called BMW Uk Customer Services who game me a contact number for "Complaints". Mon-Fri only. :headbang:

Day 11 17/4/11

Day 12 18/4/11 - Monday morning.Phoned customer services. They contacted Stephen James while I was on hold.The Service Manager is "off" on a course and the Technician isn't in either. You couldn't make this up. Was informed that Stephen James were looking into my issues. Was called a couple of hours later by another Service Manager and again by Customer Services who were both apologetical. Was told that I'd be given an update tomorrow.

Day 13 19/4/11 - Second service manager phoned as promised. No update on car as the 2 people involved with my repair are still off work but are due to return tomorrow. He did apologise,stated that this has gone on too long and they're not normally like this. Offered me a courtesy car for tomorrow which I declined. Told him that I just want to know what's wrong with the car and how much it's going to cost.
Just had a thought that it's Wednesday tomorrow, with Fri-Mon being Easter, the likelihood of me getting my car back this week I guess is slim. :thumbsdown:

Day 14 20/4/11 - First Service Manager called today. They've dropped the gearbox and the Flywheel is badly worn and requires replacing. Additionally the Slave Cylinder requires replacement. Apparently it has a sensor that threw up the original fault. Cost £2400 approx. He needed my permission to order the parts today for delivery today. I informed him of my warranty which again he said they have no record of even though I informed him of this on Day 5. :headbang:
I asked him to contact them, gave hime the warranty detail and phone number. He said he'd call me back later. :ROFL2:
No phone call later. Stephen James are really letting themselves down. I'm wondering if this is a delaying tactic with Easter coming up. :cry:

Day 15 21/4/11 - No update from Stephen James by at 14.00 so phoned them. Service Manager not in office, "I'll get him to call you back". He phoned back at about 15.45 with some good news at last. Warranty issue sorted out so I'm now on the system. They've agreed to all costs which are currently at about £3000. All I should have to pay is the £100 excess. :D
The not so good. :( New Flywheel has been fitted and gearbox is back in car. The slave cylinder has only just been delivered to them. Not a chance of installing and prepping today. No technicians working over Easter so he'll update me on Tuesday. :headbang:

Day 16 22/4/11

Day 17 23/4/11

Day 18 24/4/11

Day 19 25/4/11

Day 20 26/4/11 As I expected, no phone call, no car. Will be phoning them in the morning. 3 weeks they've had the car tomorrow. :(

Day 21 27/4/11 I phoned Stephen James at 10.30 to be told Service Manager 1 isn't in but they'd get Service Manager 2 to phone me as soon as he's finished with a customer. 1 hour later no return call so phoned them again and was told the same story, He'll phone when he's finished with a customer. Half hour later still no call. :headbang:
Got straight onto Customer Services again who I previously contacted on 18/4/11. They took down details and updated my notes and said they'd get straight onto Stephen James. 20 mins later and Service Manager 1 phoned to say he was back from a test drive, just about to get it valeted and I can pick it up. :D
Told him I didn't want it washed. He said that was okay but it was very dusty.
Went to collect and my car was outside waiting. Looked like it had been in the Sahara Desert for the past 3 weeks and had become a bird s**t magnet.
Met the Service Manager who apologised again and said it was an embarassment that it had took so long and put it down to the warranty and staffing issues.
When I came out I had the shock of my life. There valeting service is an Automatic Car Wash the same as you get in Petrol stations. :thumbsdown: :headbang:
Hate to think what it would have done to my car with that much dust on it. :(

The Good News: The car is driving great. Came home, hoovered the roof,a wash and a QD. Then off for a drive, roof down, stopped for a pint in the country and home again. Heaven. :thumbsup:

I do hope this 3 weeks to do the job was a one off. I believe in second chances so will probably use them again as they are my local dealer.
Gonna order some tyres and ditch the runflats. Asked the Service Manager how much to fit. They wouldn't do it......they only fit tyres purchased through them. :thumbsdown:
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Stephen James - Enfield

Post by inkey$ » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:05 pm

Good write up and glad to hear you got it sorted eventually. What a complete nightmare. With Easter weekend, the 3 days off/11 days off situation you've been extremely unlucky with the timings. Amazes me sometimes that a supposedly efficient behemoth of a company such as BMW cannot better sync their systems, communication or staff at times.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:49 pm

inkey$ wrote:Good write up and glad to hear you got it sorted eventually. What a complete nightmare. With Easter weekend, the 3 days off/11 days off situation you've been extremely unlucky with the timings. Amazes me sometimes that a supposedly efficient behemoth of a company such as BMW cannot better sync their systems, communication or staff at times.
No not BMW as your suggest but the dealer - too easy to condemn the whole organisation when its the fault of one dealer who operates under a franchise. BUT glad to hear its all sorted - did the warranty kick in with the cost?
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:51 pm

inkey$ wrote:Good write up and glad to hear you got it sorted eventually. What a complete nightmare. With Easter weekend, the 3 days off/11 days off situation you've been extremely unlucky with the timings. Amazes me sometimes that a supposedly efficient behemoth of a company such as BMW cannot better sync their systems, communication or staff at times.
Thanks inkey$.

Had a call from a girl Stephen James yesterday to say if I was happy with their service. :D
Don't think she gets to hear too often how bad their service was. In fairness to her she asked me if I wanted her to raise it further. Told her I'd already lodged a complaint with BMW UK Customer Services.
The 3 weeks was a PITA but if they'd kept me informed throughout I would of been a tad happier. On at least 3 occasions the Service Manager told me he'd call me back or with an update and he didn't. :thumbsdown:

As I said in the write up, I'll give them a 2nd chance at some point. If no good, Sytners at Loughton aren't too far away.
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:55 pm

No not BMW as your suggest but the dealer - too easy to condemn the whole organisation when its the fault of one dealer who operates under a franchise. BUT glad to hear its all sorted - did the warranty kick in with the cost?
The warranty people were top notch on Day one(only contact with them)...can't fault them. They paid the complete estimated £3000 which was great. Not even the £100 excess to pay according to the Service Manager. He said he'd contact me if that changes, which I'm fine with.
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:34 pm

I think you're very brave proposing to use them again. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole after such a shambolic episode...the odd slip is excusable but customer service clearly isn't a priority for these people. :thumbsdown:
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:41 pm

AlanJ wrote:
As a dealer and IMO I'd suggest that they'd also have to represent the marque as a whole.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:28 pm

Rubbish - how do BMW keep getting away with SUCH shoddy after sales service!!!
Glad you got it soorted in the end!
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | OEM CSL's + MPSS | Extended Light Sepang Leather | Folding Mirrors | Stubby| BT | Prof Nav | DSP HiFi | Intravee | Privacy | Illuminated ZHP…

maxman

Post by maxman » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:30 pm

Good news that the car is ok again,from your excellent write up it sounds like the slave cylinder was the cause of the problem,the bonus out of this is you have had a new clutch and flywheel as a freebee.If you had been a paying customer you would have been £3k or close worse off in the bank.
You have a lot more patience than i would have had , i would find a more competent dealership in the area.

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:55 pm

maxman wrote:Good news that the car is ok again,from your excellent write up it sounds like the slave cylinder was the cause of the problem,the bonus out of this is you have had a new clutch and flywheel as a freebee.If you had been a paying customer you would have been £3k or close worse off in the bank.
You have a lot more patience than i would have had , i would find a more competent dealership in the area.
That was without a clutch....when they dropped the gearbox I was advised there was only minimal wear. Result really as the clutch wouldn't of been covered by the warranty. :D
Bit worrying that the flywheel was shagged at 55k. Service Manager informed me they've changed them with lesser mileage. :o
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:00 am

Great result, and nothing to pay. But I'm sure the 3 weeks of pissing about were the worst times.....and getting on a bus....blimey, thats the worst part!