Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retro-fitting Privacy Glass to a Z4 Coupe

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
One Team

Post by One Team » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:46 pm

*Mods: I've done a good search to see if this discussion exists elsewhere but couldn't find anything so apologies if I've missed it*

Hi all

I was wondering whether any of you Z4 Coupe owners out there has retro-fitted sunshine protection/privacy glass?

Obviously it was a factory option one could select but I was wondering if anyone bought a Coupe new or second hand and then later decided to get the windows 'done'.

Personally for me it completes the look, especially on black coloured cars but I'm wondering how good the finish is should I purchase a car without privacy glass.

Also, any idea what it might cost?

Any thoughts welcomed chaps.

Many thanks,

One Team
BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0Si Sport

2007 (57), Titanium Silver, Black Leather, Electric Memory Heated Seats, 108 Comp Alloys, Xenons, Rear PDC, i-Pod Link

Animal

Re: Retro-fitting Privacy Glass to a Z4 Coupe

Post by Animal » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:01 pm

I used film much cheaper than glass and you can hardly tell. :)

2007 Z4 MC Ruby Black,Champagne Leather,Sat Nav,Heated Seats,Piano Black Dash,Bluetooth,Stubby,Privacy Film,Intravee & Alpine,CSL's,Cruise,Aero Skirts,Remus,Eibach Pro Kit

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:04 pm

This is actually something I'm thinking about for my E89. I would only get the rear window tinted, and I would want it to look like this (pretty dark).

One thing I'm not sure about is whether the film can be applied to the external side of the glass, as there's no way you could ever get at the interior side.

Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

wills

Post by wills » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:34 pm

I had tinted film applied to the rear 3 windows on my coupe, cost was around £120.

The only challenge you'll have with film is with the dot matrix which it wont stick to. I got around this by carefuly taping off the dot matrix and spraying with matt black acrylic paint - it all sounds complicated but took about 30 mins. That said, with my 07 coupe it was easy as the window is simple to access.

w1phil

Post by w1phil » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:34 pm

I was wondering whether any of you Z4 Coupe owners out there has retro-fitted sunshine protection/privacy glass?
Not a coupe owner...but will post anyway... :poke:

I did the front and rear windows on my wife's range rover and results were great I don't think anyone would be able to tell it wasn't tinted glass. Can't find the details of the company I used but will check my office tomorrow and post them up tomorrow if interested and you're London based

Just be aware of the law in relation to tints though It can be a real ball ache. That E89 definitely looks darker than legal in the pics

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... /DG_181016

Some firms are even offering lifetime guarantees now on the films although didn't when I did the rangie...
Image Image
Extended Nappa, Carbon Dash, Pads & Hoses, CDV delete, Intravee II, OEM strut brace, black grills, Clutch stop, Gaptech OTH+

MyNamesNotBob

Post by MyNamesNotBob » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:49 pm

I've seen an E86 with film, as long as it's done properly you would have to be a real details guy to see it!

I do think it looks odd with only half the car being able to be done, but thats just my though. Looks great on a black hatch with a black window, but when you get to the side it looks like someone got bored and never finished the job...
Imola Red Z4MC Currently up for sale: CLICKY

wills

Post by wills » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:58 pm

Not great pics, sorry but here is am idea of how mine looks. Shall take some better pics before the weekend.

When the job was done the dot matrix line on the side windows is minimal but the rear didnt look great hence spraying with acrylic paint

th30d0r3

Post by th30d0r3 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:12 am

I have had my rears on my coupe tinted to allow 35% light and the front 50% light. I know the front is not legal but it's really not that noticable.

slightly off topic, Wills, what bike rack is that, I've been looking for one for ages.
Don't like my red stripes...? Then don't look at them...

One Team

Post by One Team » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:26 am

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Do you think the film gives the same effect as the offical sunshine protection glass? To get the official 'look' what type of film and %age does one need?

One Team
BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0Si Sport

2007 (57), Titanium Silver, Black Leather, Electric Memory Heated Seats, 108 Comp Alloys, Xenons, Rear PDC, i-Pod Link

billygilly

Post by billygilly » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:09 am

wills, Sorry as above off subject but do you think that rack will fit a roadster

Animal

Post by Animal » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:24 am

One Team wrote:Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Do you think the film gives the same effect as the offical sunshine protection glass? To get the official 'look' what type of film and %age does one need?

One Team
Yes 25%

2007 Z4 MC Ruby Black,Champagne Leather,Sat Nav,Heated Seats,Piano Black Dash,Bluetooth,Stubby,Privacy Film,Intravee & Alpine,CSL's,Cruise,Aero Skirts,Remus,Eibach Pro Kit

wills

Post by wills » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:16 pm

billygilly wrote:wills, Sorry as above off subject but do you think that rack will fit a roadster
Hi - the rack is the Sirrus Bones, really not sure whether it would fit the roadster . If you're local or in B'ham /Leeds area I could pop by and you're welcome to try it.

The rack itself isnt specificaly made for the Coupe, but fits very well. The only addition I bought were ' Sirrus Hatch Huggers' - basicaly a rubber anchor which goes inside the boot to hold everything in place - cost saround £15 extra, but just makes it more secure (rather than relying on rear window holding it in place). The only concern some people have had is 2 of the rubber feet are on the rear window, but with my bike weighing just 9kg and the rubber feet on the bumper taking most of the weight I've had no problems in over 1000 miles and speeds up to 80 :o

One Team

Post by One Team » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:38 pm

Animal wrote:

One Team
Yes 25%
As in 25% dark or 25% allow light through - sorry I don't know how this works! :-)
BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0Si Sport

Animal

Post by Animal » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:55 pm

One Team wrote:
Animal wrote:

One Team
Yes 25%
As in 25% dark or 25% allow light through - sorry I don't know how this works! :-)
Wherabouts in the country are you?

25% dark i assume as you don't notice a change of light inside the car.

Daffy

Post by Daffy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 am

Funny this, I've been thinking about going the other way....but it'll require a new hatch + rear quarters :(