Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My European Road Trip

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
mason storm

Re: My European Road Trip

Post by mason storm » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:28 pm

It was time to journey home after this so I drove Route Napoleon which was mega, 5 hours of driving on mostly empty roads through the mountains and arrived at Annecy another lovely location.

Here's a pic near the lake the next morining where there was a military ceremony wher they gave out medalls for troops serving in Afghanistan.

Then it was off to our next stopping off point at Dijon and let me tell you the roads were great an unexpected bonus with twisty bits along with glenter sweeping roads that were all great fun :thumbsup:

The final day was spent travelling back to Calais then home and I decided to drive the National roads to Reims and then got back on the toll roads. The national roads from Dijon through Troyes and up to Reims were so pretty with Vinyards and fields as the scenery and roads lines with trees on either side. They weren't very twisty just long straights between villages and towns but you could drive really fast and i overtook alot of people. :thumbsup: so didn;t loose much time versus the toll roads and I saved myself some cash :wink:

Hope you enjoy the pics
2.5se Roadster - First Z
3.0 si Sport Coupe - now sold :cry:

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:37 pm

my first stop will be belgium area, any suggestions????

mason storm

Post by mason storm » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:40 pm

Sorry I can't help as i went straight over to Interlaken
2.5se Roadster - First Z

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:42 pm

panic is beginning to set it

you look to have planned everything so well, so far I have bought a tent and planned a very rough route, I'm now panicing thinking I may end not finding places to stop

yesteday I checked with orange, they suggested internet would work out aboyt £1 per min, so taking the laptop could become very expensive

mason storm

Post by mason storm » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Taz x wrote:panic is beginning to set it

you look to have planned everything so well, so far I have bought a tent and planned a very rough route, I'm now panicing thinking I may end not finding places to stop

yesteday I checked with orange, they suggested internet would work out aboyt £1 per min, so taking the laptop could become very expensive
If you can afford a few hotels alot of them do free wi fi which would help you out in planning as you go round
2.5se Roadster - First Z

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:58 pm

mason storm, nice pics, looks like you had a great time.

Taz x, your road trip is shaping up to be legendary :D I think only Aebous could match you for the potential for it to be mayhem.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:34 pm

i will suprise you, my trip will be brill :)

roofless

Post by roofless » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:17 am

Taz i wouldn't worry too much about finding accommodation, there're normally plenty of B+B's or the such like wherever you go, i would just recommend you pick a sensible time in the day to start looking for a place to stay, preferably just before shops shut, then you won't end up in the middle of the night hunting around blindly.
People are generally very helpful and if somewhere is full they'll know someone who has space most likely.
Take a simple phrase book if your french is anywhere near as poor as mine. Also if you have a rough idea of where you might head you can always print off some numbers and addresses by doing a search here in the uk before you go, do town searches and a wide area. Iphone apps for hotels are pretty good or if you have a smartphone see if there is one for your phone, will probably pull down less data than a laptop :thumbsup: :driving:
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:20 am

Taz just dont do what I did and drive the Paris peripherique on a Red Day (start of a particular holiday period, in this case 18 July) when what would have been a 45 minute cruise turned into a 4-hour nightmare which barely saw me get to the ferry in time....which brings me to the frenchies talent for bureaucracy......I got bounced off the boat because of my dogs pet passport - the vet had pyt both the tick and worm treatments on the same poage when they should have been on different ones.

So thanks to the jumped up little Vichy bastard on the Sea France desk who made me trawl Calais at 1am to find a vet who, for 60 euros, supplied another rubber stamp to 'normalise' things - everything in France has to have a frickin rubber stamp :headbang:

But the specific car bureaucracy is to remember to carry your V5 as the gendarmes get very excited if they stop you for any reason and you can't prove ownership.
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

MalcZ4

Post by MalcZ4 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:30 am

I just got back from France yesterday.

Here is a cautionary tale - don't speed!
I got stopped for doing 94 kph in a 70 kph limit and it cost me 90 euros. The gendarme said I had gone through a radar trap and his colleague further down the road had the gun on me. I did see his colleague when I passed, but he had the gun down by his side and was crossing a zebra crossing at the time - I was sitting still at the zebra letting him cross. I think the gendarme further up the road saw the sports car with a UK registration and just pulled me in. The first think he said was "Avez vous argent?" I only had 2 x 50 euro notes and had to go into the baker shop to get change for him. The thing is - I reckon I was only doing about 80 kph, and if I said I had no money he would have sent me on my way. I did ask to see the proof of the speed, but he pretended he couldn't speak English.

roofless

Post by roofless » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:38 pm

MalcZ4 wrote:I just got back from France yesterday.

Here is a cautionary tale - don't speed!
I got stopped for doing 94 kph in a 70 kph limit and it cost me 90 euros. The gendarme said I had gone through a radar trap and his colleague further down the road had the gun on me. I did see his colleague when I passed, but he had the gun down by his side and was crossing a zebra crossing at the time - I was sitting still at the zebra letting him cross. I think the gendarme further up the road saw the sports car with a UK registration and just pulled me in. The first think he said was "Avez vous argent?" I only had 2 x 50 euro notes and had to go into the baker shop to get change for him. The thing is - I reckon I was only doing about 80 kph, and if I said I had no money he would have sent me on my way. I did ask to see the proof of the speed, but he pretended he couldn't speak English.
Blimey those antics take me back a few years and more, we used to stash some items in the car for bribes in case we got pulled in spain etc, long long ago, anything that had a little value, this was back in my early MG days and anything with an octagon badge on it was a useful 'sorry mate no money but here have this'
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:47 pm

lacroupade wrote: But the specific car bureaucracy is to remember to carry your V5 as the gendarmes get very excited if they stop you for any reason and you can't prove ownership.

did not know i had to take the log book?

MalcZ4

Post by MalcZ4 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:04 pm

Taz x wrote:
lacroupade wrote: But the specific car bureaucracy is to remember to carry your V5 as the gendarmes get very excited if they stop you for any reason and you can't prove ownership.

did not know i had to take the log book?
It has to be the original - not a photo copy. 8)