Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

UK to Costa Blanca

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
GNH

UK to Costa Blanca

Post by GNH » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:16 am

I've recently returned from a trip to the Costa Blanca in my MR and thought I'd share some of the better roads we encountered, most are not the usual suspects so if you're heading that way hopefully you'll find these useful. I did all my planning using viamichelin, Google Earth and Google Streetview, the latter is great for checking that what looks like a great back road isn't actually a cart track. The idea was to use French D roads and Spanish CV roads for fun wherever possible with motorway streches in between so that we kept to time. Below is a summary of the route we took,it was 5 days of sheer driving heaven and I'd struggle to name any section which dissapointed. A few pics below; some are stills from some video so apologies if they're less than perfect

Day 1 - Destination, Blois
We just took the motorway from Calais to Rouen and then the N154 via Evreux, nothing spectacular there. Then D11, D9, D921, D151 and D957 to Blois. Northern France is fairly flat so the terrain didn't give spectacular roads but the lack of traffic made driving at 70-80mph a cinch, much better than English A or B roads.
Day 2 - Destination, Tarbes
We needed to get on the A20 motorway and head south so the first leg was D996 and D675 via St Aigen then D11 via Buzuncais. The roads were getting really good here, gentle curves through forest areas,very light traffic so easy to overtake and some great little villages.
Then down the A20 to Brive la Gaillard.
Then D60 via Larche,D704 (Sarlat la Caneda), D57, D703 (Siorrac en Perigord), D710 (Monsempron-Libos), D911 (Villeneuve sur Lot), N21 to Agen.
From Agen D932, D930 (Mirande) and D632 to Tarbes.
From Brive these were everything we expected of the French D roads,fast,well surfaced,light traffic and some good "ups and downs".

Classic French stuff, D930

Day 3 Destination Valencia
Whe I realised we had an overnight stop at Tarbes it didn't take long to decide we had to do the Col du Tourmalet. What a good decision that was. Despite being the 1st of August,the traffic on the Col was light and we really could get a move on. We managed four quick overtakes and one guy very kindly pulledover for us,then just stuck behind a slow mover right at the top where an overtake would mean flirting with some scary drops and no Armco. Then we took the Col d'Aspin to Arreau and D929/D173, crossing into Spain via the Tunel de Bielsa.
Now I've never seen much written up on how good the roads in Northern Spain are but believe me coming down from the Pyrenees and into Aragon is an experience you will never get in the UK. So we took the N138 which follows a valley/reservoir and then via A22 to Lleida.
From Lleida we headed off into Aragon on the N211 via Caspe and Alcaniz we spent about an hour following Fernando Alonso in a Renault Scenic who took every bend at 70mph without braking,very skilful. One of the best things about Spanish roads is the Overtake/No Overtake signs which really help you to make the right decisions on roads you don't know. From Alcaniz we had to get across to the AP7 coastal motorway so as not to be late at Valencia but if you want more of the same just carry on the N211 and the A420 to Teruel then take the motorway toward Valencia.

Col du Tourmalet

Return leg
Day 1 Valencia to Millau
Knowing that we wanted to find some "play" roads in the afternnon we took the AP7 as far as Tarragona then the C14 to La Seu d'Urgell. The latter part is along a flooded valley,quite busy but with the M no real problem squeezing past the odd car.
Then the N260 and N116 crossing into France at Bourg-Madame.
Then we made a move which really came off, we took the D118 fromMont Louis to Axat and then on to Carcassone, what an experience! The road twists and turns along a seemingly endless gorge but with enough short straights to sprint past the light traffic.
From Carcassone we took the D620 and D907 finishing off via St Affrique to Millau.

Off N260 near La Seu D'Urgell

Guess Where! - (sorry about the rubbish bin)

Day 2 Destination UK
Playing around in France the previous day meant that we had 760 miles to do but I couldn't resist the Gorges du Tarn. I had expected a slow but scenic meander behind motorhomes and canoe towing vans but even at 10.00 on an August morning what we got was a complete blast down the gorge,only tree or four vehicles to pass. The it was up out of the gorge at St Enemie and via the Mende and the D806 to the A75 motorway and the long slog home.

Gorges du Tarn

We covered 2500 miles in 5 days of driving, French and Spanish roads knock most of what the UK has to offer into a cocked hat. The Z4 is an ideal car for this type of driving, comfortable enought to do the motorway legs and pointy enough for the fun roads,and having a M meant squirting past anyone safely was a doddle. We couldn't think of a better car for the trip. If you've never taken your Z4 on a trip like this do it soon, you won't regret it.

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Re: UK to Costa Blanca

Post by PawnSacrifice » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Excellent post, thanks :thumbsup:

You're right, there's nothing quite like a Zed road trip :driving:
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:16 pm

totally agree about the roads being better, i did 3000 miles and hit no traffic jams, returned to uk and the crawled along M25 and M11 for hours

great pics :thumbsup:

MalcZ4

Post by MalcZ4 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:26 pm

Excellent post - let's see more photos please :driving:

I agree with what you said about the Pyrenees - I did a traverse coast to coast by motorbike some years ago. :thumbsup:

GNH

Post by GNH » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:14 pm

Malc Z4 I'd love to post some more pics but don't have anything else decent (unlike your own superb efforts). I realised this once we were back home and I was editing the video and stills together. We sort of forgot to stop driving! My mate took some good pics of the amazing modern architedture in Valencia and if he can be a**ed to send them to me I'll post them.

mason storm

Post by mason storm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks for the review and route I will seriously consider early next year :thumbsup:
2.5se Roadster - First Z
3.0 si Sport Coupe - now sold :cry: