Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Merlot Red paint - where to get a real match

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
robsm1th

Merlot Red paint - where to get a real match

Post by robsm1th » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:40 pm

The legit match sticks for Merlot Red (burgundy to you or I) are way way way off the colour on the car. I've bought two - one from ebay and one from local bmw garage.

1. Why have they made the colour sticks so far off what they should and

2. More importantly has anyone found a paint stick that is the right colour match (or at least close to it)?

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Merlot Red paint - where to get a real match

Post by AlanJ » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:44 pm

Red paint is one of the softest pain finishes commercialy used on vehicles and hence it can fade from the original fairly quickly (in relative terms) - depends how old your Zed is as to how effective the colour match with paint stick, just one of those things.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

robsm1th

Post by robsm1th » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:05 pm

Wow that means six years ago the car wasn't far off black - interesting. My old mazda mx5 had a paint stick that wasn't far off and I bought that car when it was ten years old. Germans are usually better at these sort of things so that's a surprise.

Love the car by the way - just a minor gripe.

Might have to get some colour matched @ b&q or somewhere daft then (if their paint can be put on a car - it certainly went on fire to the garage door - painted fairly similar in colour to my z4 - yeah sad I know - colour matched garage to car colour).

Thanks for responding & that's one scary image against your profile.

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:04 pm

robsm1th wrote:Thanks for responding & that's one scary image against your profile.
Agent SMITH - any relative.... :P
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net