Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bumper damage advice please...

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Fragga

Bumper damage advice please...

Post by Fragga » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi all

I have just about got to grips with the washing, claying, polishing and waxing procedure but I now have 2 spots of bumper damage I would like to tackle. :?

I believe the previous owner regularly clipped a curb/s when parking the car and this has damaged the front bumper on both sides. Is this a job I can feasibly do my self or should I be off to a paint shop?? (Trying to keep costs down wherever possible!!)

I have taken a photo, you can see the white underneath the paint is clearly visible. If it is a project I can do myself how to I go about it?

Many thanks
f

'07 M Coupe Sapphire Black | Champagne leather | 19" CSLs | Sat Nav | BT | Eibachs -10mm springs | Intravee

IK.

Re: Bumper damage advice please...

Post by IK. » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:57 pm

That would be straight into a bodyshop for me! From the look of the photo, it needs some serious prep work and painting. Because it's such a small area though, and a separated area (being the 'fangs'), you should get away with a very cheap repair.
Currently car-less!
Previous: Z4 3.0si Coupe & Z4M Roadster
Plus a few others!

kdwelsh

Post by kdwelsh » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:15 pm

See my recent posts, I have scratches and chipped my lower edge of the front bumper due to the low ride height recently. My car is due to go to BMW on Friday who are going to sand, fill, sand, prime and paint lower half of bumper! £95 Inc vat. I'm sure looking at your pictures, it would be a similar job!

Fragga

Post by Fragga » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:42 pm

Local bodyshop has quoted £60 per side taking it back up to the straight ridges above, does that sound reasonable?
'07 M Coupe Sapphire Black | Champagne leather | 19" CSLs | Sat Nav | BT | Eibachs -10mm springs | Intravee

IK.

Post by IK. » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:04 pm

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me! I'd go for it.
Currently car-less!
Plus a few others!

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:53 pm

+1 :)
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Fragga

Post by Fragga » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:26 am

Took the car to the body shop this morning for the respray..... :D

But then he looked more closely at the bumper and reckons it has been off at some stage and not put back on quite correctly.... Basically he reckons there are too larger gaps under the headlight lenses. Once he had mentioned I saw what he meant but without anything to compare it to it was a bit tricky to be sure. :?

Please can someone either tell me how much gap there should be or take a photo so I can compare...? I don't know of any others in the local area to have a look at.

IK.

Post by IK. » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:33 am

Gaps under the lights are normal - as long as they are even, you're alright. My coupe and my M both have gaps under the lights - quite disconcerting when you first notice it, but it's completely normal. There are adjustments that can be made I believe, but no real need.
Currently car-less!
Plus a few others!

peddy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by peddy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:28 pm

IK. wrote:Gaps under the lights are normal - as long as they are even, you're alright. My coupe and my M both have gaps under the lights - quite disconcerting when you first notice it, but it's completely normal. There are adjustments that can be made I believe, but no real need.
X2

holeshot

Post by holeshot » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Z4 Roadster 2.2se Maldives Blue Black M Sport Heated Seats M Sport Suspension OTH+R