Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I recommend that.......

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum

25 Post Minumum Before Selling Stuff

Poll ended at Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:43 pm

YES
49%
NO
51%

Total votes: 53

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Re: I recommend that.......

Post by WLH » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Greeno wrote: WHL I think you mods need to get together and sort this once and for all as this isn't the case.

Alanj clearly isn't following this.

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31717

This is just one of many instances.

The forum needs 100% clear guidelines on this. I don't care which way just make them clear. Many of us are getting pissed off and bored of this.
We look at each case on it's own and take into consideration a number of factors. I am sure we will take another look at this issue and perhaps changes will be made.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:53 pm

I've mentioned that I'm not really that bothered.

However, it's nice to think of this forum as a community for sharing experiences and ideas, and just generally being a good online environment.

I definitely dont think this is a subject to be getting excited about, or being in any way derogatory towards other forum members for expressing an opinion.

Think of it another way - would you send a cheque to buy something from Ebay from a seller with no reputation? I think that at least some previous posts to a forum - or even an introduction in the newbie section would give me some confidence buying something from another forum member.

Agree we can all benefit from buying on the forum, but what if a new seller arrives, makes a first post to sell, but isnt bona fide?

Just a thought....
Last edited by Adamski on Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:34 pm

Greeno wrote: Many of us are getting pissed off and bored of this.
Greeno - you can really only speak for yourself unless of course you have assembled a list of forum member who feel the same and not hide behind such a bland statement - how many is many....? Not a politician by any chance :poke: :oops:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:53 pm

I disagree with the sentiment, if you take the time and effort to look up and sign up to the forum to sell to the community I think its fair to list items. The major issue I have is with people who come on looking for others to do all the research for them. ie multiple threads asking for the same constant information or threads asking for others to find something for them!

To sell to the community is helping the community in my opinion, at least this is how we do things on the older car forums (scirocco / bigcoupe E24) as it helps keep good cars alive..

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:23 pm

Tom I think you are being churlish in picking on someone who has posted 200 times on the Forum. I don't have that many posts either, but i've attended meets and met plenty of Forum members. Someone can rack up a high post count purely by welcoming new members for example.

As for the 'buy and sell' issue I disagree that someone coming on just to sell their car offers anymore than a search on Pistonheads. I would be FAR, FAR, FAR more likely to buy an active Forum members' car which I had seen at meets/events etc and read about and seen photos of over the members time on the Forum. Therefore I think Pasa's idea is a good one.

Paza3

Post by Paza3 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:16 pm

tomscott wrote:Your just screwing yourselves tbh!

How can you talk with your puny 123 posts in 18 months? Ive been a member for 2 months and have 184! So how can you be so high and mighty when really your contribution is so small in the time you've been on the forum?

But that is a generalisation, you could have made some very good points and posts and helped a lot of people how would I know!? Which is exactly my point.

Say one guy has 10 Z parts for sale (which recently has been quite frequent) would you tell him to bugger off!? Just because you don't want anything!?

Works both ways mate.

I don't understand the BS attitude a small percentage of members have. 75% of the items for sale have helped lots of members and made items available that would otherwise not be with these rules! It pi**ses me off no end when I see these comments and just makes the forum look really unfriendly and in most cases it is the same members who pipe up. Got nothing else better to do? You just clutter up the post! Pull your head out of your ARSE!

No one is forcing you to buy anything! But there will be someone that needs the item! and the typical members start dissing them and they almost have to prove their worth, who are you to judge? How else can they by offering Z relate items!!

Im sure a good percentage of the forum has benefitted somewhere from this. How are they not contributing to the forum when they are offering parts that are useful!? :headband:

This is a community not a dictatorship. Everyone is welcome.
Am a bit confused here, if you read my post am not saying am fed up about this, all I wanted to do is open the area for positive debate, Why such a personal insult on me :o :o :thumbsdown:

I shall have to defend myself... :x

All I did was raise a point, me honestly am not bothered either way which I stated in the post quite clearly, at NO point did I get in a flap about this , but I keep seeing selling post and "OTHER!!!!" people getting in a flap about their low number of posts. Like I STRESSED in my post am not passionate about this.

I personally want to Add value to the forum hence why I raised a "mooting" point, as for open discussion. Not to be attacked.

All I wanted to do was just state the obvious solution ???? And I clearly said "Let the people decided :P " with a Razz I might ad. This does not sound like a dictatorship.

The fact my post as low is that I have only recently got a Zed in the last few weeks again, so I have been away for 12 months. Not that this should matter you could have 30 post but been to 30 meets!

I personally never "Diss" anyone like you have to me in your manner, as what’s the point by all means have an view on an area that’s cool that that’s the idea. But why attack me?, as I have said I have been on various forums for years and seen countless keyboard warriors........

Looking at the votes it looks pretty even so there is the answer keep it as it is, 50/50 I would think is not a bigger enough majority to validate it, especially in this democracy…….

Poor show dude :thumbsdown:

rookie975

Post by rookie975 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:09 am

Taz x wrote:er, i think of it differently

I don't think you should be able to buy unless you have posted 25 or more post, that way the active members will benefit from the sellers
One possible issue with this rule is it may encourage people to spam the forum in order up their post count. This could be equally annoying.

I am new to this forum, but I have used forums for years (E46Zone, E36Coupe and Rovertech :oops: ). I personally don't have an issue with people joining up and selling items on any forum. I do understand why it may annoy some people, but stopping it may be cutting your nose off to spite your face. When parts are advertised on this forum there is a very strong chance it will be useful to somebody and therefore the forum users benefit.

E46Zone did something similar a while back when they made a rule that only paying subscribers were allowed to advertise (I was a paying subscriber). When this happened the number of items for sale dropped massively over the following weeks. I didn't feel that was a good thing at all and one of the perks of being a member of the forum (the ability to grab a bargain or harder to find parts) was taken away.

I think this is a great forum and I like the fact there are parts being advertised regularly as I still have some modding to do :)

03 3.0i Grey Roadster|Xenons|Carver Hifi|Pro Nav|Heated Electric Leather Sport Seats|Heated Folding Mirrors|Bluetooth|Cruise Control|Sport Steering Wheel|202 Ellipsoids|De-Gingered|OTH+R

RidgyDidge

I recommend that.......

Post by RidgyDidge » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:28 am

tomscott wrote:Your just screwing yourselves tbh!

How can you talk with your puny 123 posts in 18 months? Ive been a member for 2 months and have 184! So how can you be so high and mighty when really your contribution is so small in the time you've been on the forum?

But that is a generalisation, you could have made some very good points and posts and helped a lot of people how would I know!? Which is exactly my point.

Say one guy has 10 Z parts for sale (which recently has been quite frequent) would you tell him to bugger off!? Just because you don't want anything!?

Works both ways mate.

I don't understand the BS attitude a small percentage of members have. 75% of the items for sale have helped lots of members and made items available that would otherwise not be with these rules! It pi**ses me off no end when I see these comments and just makes the forum look really unfriendly and in most cases it is the same members who pipe up. Got nothing else better to do? You just clutter up the post! Pull your head out of your ARSE!

No one is forcing you to buy anything! But there will be someone that needs the item! and the typical members start dissing them and they almost have to prove their worth, who are you to judge? How else can they by offering Z relate items!!

Im sure a good percentage of the forum has benefitted somewhere from this. How are they not contributing to the forum when they are offering parts that are useful!? :headband:

This is a community not a dictatorship. Everyone is welcome.
My goodness. What's this all about...?

As the teenagers around here might say..."calm your farm maaate"

Sent from my iPad
2006 BMW Z4MC - Australian delivery means it comes from the factory with everything !
Added rego plate, stubby, CF grills, gloss black roof wrap, fuel, and my right foot...

gookah

Post by gookah » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:45 pm

I think people who sell things should pm me first, before letting you lot know about it..... :D
If I get a bargain from someone with no posts, then the ones that missed out will still be happy (with their high horse)...... :P
Last edited by gookah on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gov

Post by gov » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:51 pm

I've been a member for only 3 months or so with barely 60 posts. Since joining I've gained a lot of knowledge for which I am extremely grateful. The forum is also very entertaining - have to admit that some of my posts are tongue in cheek along with others but this is what makes it fun as well. I would willingly help another member if I could as this is what joining such a forum is all about - can't really get worked up about this issue as I think that if another member benefits in some way from someone selling something no matter what status the seller has then thats to the good. I guess there are many memebers here who have the forum on their favourites and log in daily to follow threads but who may not post very often. I do appreciate the sentiment of the proposal but would on balance endorse leaving things as they are.

Tony

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:57 pm

AlanJ wrote:This Forum also costs to make it run and I wonder if those that only post to sell, no matter what benefit it may be to other members, bother or even consider to make a donation to the guys that do such an excellent job in the background maintaining the Forum on our behalf. I doubt it, unless they want to tell me otherwise.
BUMP - only because the bit about a Forum donation seems to have been lost in the debate.......
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:05 am

I'm slightly confused here because for me, WLH's post is 100% fair and reasonable and answers the exam question in full (negating the need for this poll BTW), but it doesn't seem to be being followed by other mods for some reason? Not a dig at Alan, even though I disagree with his philosophy on this one, but lets have some consistency ladies? :thumbsup:

Oh and @tomscott. Lighten up a bit mate! :)
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:45 am

If you want to sell an item, then you must donate all of the proceeds to the forum! :P
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M