Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Poor 107's

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Hotride

My Poor 107's

Post by Hotride » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:12 am

So a few months ago I had the air in my tyres replaced with Nitrogen, at which time the tyre shop informed me there is a crack in my rear left wheel.

Then last week I was tired driving to gym at 5.30am and as I went around the apex of a tight roundabout, I felt a bump and the back end of my car kicked out about a meter or 2. Once I got to the gym and inspected, my rear tyre hit the edge of the roundabout. which has put about 50cm of gutter rash and little chunks along my rim :cry: this is the first time my car has ever had any damage :x

anyways - does anyone know if there is a "fake" or "lightweight" 107 wheel out there... I'm thinking replacing might be cheaper than fixing, plus I would like to upgrade the wheels to 19's personally. I just love the 107's and don't really want to go to any other wheels.

But iv'e never seen a 107 looking wheel in 19...

The 2 alternatives I have considered are both Lamborghini wheels, which I would like in shadow chrome.... thoughts?

Hotride

Re: My Poor 107's

Post by Hotride » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:21 am

this is an old side pic of my car

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:16 am

Hotride wrote:about 50cm of gutter rash and little chunks along my rim :cry: this is the first time my car has ever had any damage :x
Ouch. On the plus side at least you didn't pay several thousand just for the wheels and then scrape them like a mate of mine did! :(

You're obviously a big 107 wheel fan. I'll email you a contact address for a guy I just dealt with buying my 135 (MV2) wheels from in Melbourne who reckons he can get anything (still haven't decided if he's above board or not :P) so might be able to source a replacement 107. Is your damaged wheel also the cracked one?

What's the story with the nitrogen? Like it? Are you still on runflats?

Surely those Lambo wheels must be awfully expensive?
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Hotride

Post by Hotride » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:00 am

The nitrogen - I think normal air is like 80% nitrogen anyway, but my tyres have lasted well since I put it in - I think

Im not sure if the cracked one is the damaged one, I dont think it is, so I have 2 wheels that need attention, both rear's :(
some shop in the gold coast said about $250 per tire to fix/ repaint + postage on top of that :(

Lambo wheels - I would want replica's - I think the price of those wheels oem would make my ears bleed. If you wanna email through that guys details that'd be much appreciated - might be worth a try. I haven't even asked the dealer what a new wheel is worth lol they usually offend me with their prices

I am still on the runflats, I decided to wait till they wear out before I change em, but they do tramline oh so bad.

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:25 am

Ooops sorry I forgot about the email - will send it in a minute ;)

So according to RealOEM the part number for the rears is 36116758193, with a list price of just under $400 (http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mod ... g=36&fg=15). http://www.thebmwpartstore.com/ lists them for $300, so I would expect to be able to land the pair for less than $1k. I agree the dealer price will definitely be wallet rapingly high.

Yeah I would expect the Lambo wheel price to be scary too!

I personally wouldn't want to put replica anything wheels on my Zed. But then again I'm still a bit OEM mad :rofl:
Still, would be interesting to see if you can get the Lambo replicas. What are you like photochopping wheels?

My new 135s are coming with non-RF tyres so it will be interesting to feel the difference. I guess I'll have to invest in an M mobility kit or something similar...
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Hotride

Post by Hotride » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:50 am

thanks for the email mate, and all the info. Im sure this little mistake of mine is going to cost me lol. I spoke to a panel beater yesterday, who said he would refurb / repaint the wheels for $250 each.

I found a gold coast company that fixes cracks in the wheel for $100-200, but return postage their would not be cheap lol - the cracked one isn't leaking air tho - but i'm sure it could be a potential problem. So hopefully I can find a similar local quote

hmm - go cheap or buy new. hard decision lol

I do like OEM, but if you choose the right wheels and put the BMW caps back in them, im sure no-one would really notice the difference. Of course if I put 22" chrome dishes on, it would stand out like the dogs dangly bits. As for photoshopping - I can work paint pretty well. Have never got into photography / photoshop as of yet. wouldn't have a clue what to do lol

The M Mobility kit fits on top of the battery box in the M's so I don't think it would fit your car all that well. If you go to Autobarn, they have tire slime, and a tire slime brand compressor, in a pack for about $40. good value I think.

Hotride

Post by Hotride » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:19 am

just got a quote from my local BMW - per wheel

The rim costs $877.10 inc gst and is available out of Germany.

Looks like refurb it is

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:25 am

why have you had nitrogen in the wheels?

Hotride

Post by Hotride » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:49 am

Apparently keeps em cooler, doesn't compress as much so you keep more rubber on road and tires last longer. Probably just good marketing - but for $30 thought I would try it

cj_eds

Post by cj_eds » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:40 am

Stuff like Nissan GTR's now come with Nitrogen as standard from what I remember. As said, it's not as likely to vary like air is - therefore leading to the handling benefits suggested above.

O/P Do you not find it a bit of a pain that if you ever have a slow puncture or every time you need to top the pressure up you can't do it yourself and need a nitrogen supply?

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:51 pm

Hotride wrote:I found a gold coast company that fixes cracks in the wheel for $100-200, but return postage their would not be cheap lol - the cracked one isn't leaking air tho - but i'm sure it could be a potential problem. So hopefully I can find a similar local quote
Depulu wheels? If so I've heard nothing but good things about them. I didn't think anyone was able to fix a cracked wheel though?

The 107s are nice wheels and definitely suit the Sterling Grey perfectly.
Hotride wrote:The M Mobility kit fits on top of the battery box in the M's so I don't think it would fit your car all that well. If you go to Autobarn, they have tire slime, and a tire slime brand compressor, in a pack for about $40. good value I think.
Ahh ok good to know. Will go check out the tyre slime pack then :thumbsup:

Nitrogen sounds to me like more hassle than it's worth. But I guess when you're a car mod addict you can't help but try it out :P