Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

sealant or wax?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
decio

sealant or wax?

Post by decio » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:32 am

Hi all!
I have a dilemma, what to use for car paint protection wax or sealant?
Till this time I used normal wax, but browsing some detailing sites I found that synthetic sealants are much durable, better water repellent etc...
So from your experience what do you sugest?
Thanks

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Re: sealant or wax?

Post by a11y » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:52 am

Synthetic waxes ARE more durable but IME don't get the same level of finish: not the same depth on certain colours. I used one called Finish Kare 1000P on my van (which lives outside) over winter last year as it promised more durability over the Collinite 476 wax I usually use, but I was less than impressed. I don't think it lasted particularly well so I'm back using just wax this year.

You can use sealant followed by wax too...
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

decio

Post by decio » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:29 am

Well I also took into consideratio to aplly a coat of sealant after a two coats of 3m finishing glaze. But I am still in doubt about what sealant? My aim is to obtain a nice looking protection for may paint it has to be durable, nice and shine and also water and dust repelent... There are too much products on the market. I have all aforetime process already in my mind, I will stick to 3m pro perfect it iii extra fine compoumd, perfect it iii antihologram polish, perfect it iii finishing glaze and all of that apllyed by gex 150 ac pro bosch DA. But still there is a question on how to protect all that work?!

decio

Post by decio » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:42 pm

I decided to go for Dodo Juice - Blue Velvet Pro Edition! They say it is a natural hard wax with lot od brasilian carnauba! Don't know what is it but it sounds cool! I'll order it from clean your car guys, they have good prices and very fast dispatch! Viva carnauba, viva brasil!!!

decio

Post by decio » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:08 pm

Carnauba (English pronunciation: /kɑːrˈnɔːbə/ or /kɑːrˈnaʊbə/), also called Brazil wax and palm wax, is a wax of the leaves of the palm Copernicia prunifera, a plant native to and grown only in the northeastern Brazilian states of Piauí, Ceará, and Rio Grande do Norte.[1] It is known as "queen of waxes"[2] and usually comes in the form of hard yellow-brown flakes. It is obtained from the leaves of the carnauba palm by collecting them, beating them to loosen the wax, then refining and bleaching the wax. Yeap now I know what is it!

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:13 pm

Last couple of times I've done mine after claying I used wax with a coat of Turtlewax sealant on top, it gave a great finish that held up for several months
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

scottbt

Post by scottbt » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:13 pm

So long as teh preperation is correct you should easily get a good 4-6 months from a couple of layers of Dodo pro version waxes. You would be surprised as to whether a sealant is more durable than a wax. Some waxes can easily outrun a sealant.
High gloss loving rotarian with a love of things all perfect and glossy.

gookah

Post by gookah » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:23 am

Doesn't it depend solely,...... on how random the name of the product is?

I always try and buy one that no one has ever heard of, I hear 'Poor Collin's Chemical Moose Hole 57 Juice', is particularly good :poke:
:rofl:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:16 am

gookah wrote:Doesn't it depend solely,...... on how random the name of the product is?

I always try and buy one that no one has ever heard of, I hear 'Poor Collin's Chemical Moose Hole 57 Juice', is particularly good :poke:

I hear 'Bull Shine' works wonders as well :)
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

decio

Post by decio » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:35 pm

Thanks guys for the tips, but I've already made up my decision. I've made an order of dodo juice blue velvet pro edition from clean your car. Now I have to wait warmer climate conditions to perform a nice clean! My zed now sleeps in the garage in his pidjama!