Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Advice on timing for road trips?

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
mason storm

Advice on timing for road trips?

Post by mason storm » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:14 pm

I plan to do Scotland and the alps again this year but wondered what the best time would be to fit these trips in?

last time I did the Alps it was late June early july and the alpine passes were very busy, I am hoping another time of year would be better?
2.5se Roadster - First Z
3.0 si Sport Coupe - now sold :cry:

roofless

Re: Advice on timing for road trips?

Post by roofless » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:30 pm

Early September should be ok for the Alps i would have thought. French holidays are traditionally August, the season quietens down as you go into September and as long as you don't leave it too long you should still get good weather and clearer roads. Early June not too bad to miss too much traffic but still can be cold and depending on where you are can still be a bit hairy if the weather closes in. I have followed snow plows over a pass first week of September before now.

As far as Scotland goes i still haven't had my passport stamped that far north, sorry :)
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

mason storm

Post by mason storm » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:49 pm

roofless wrote:Early September should be ok for the Alps i would have thought. French holidays are traditionally August, the season quietens down as you go into September and as long as you don't leave it too long you should still get good weather and clearer roads. Early June not too bad to miss too much traffic but still can be cold and depending on where you are can still be a bit hairy if the weather closes in. I have followed snow plows over a pass first week of September before now.

As far as Scotland goes i still haven't had my passport stamped that far north, sorry :)
Oh so maybe Early September is best for clearer roads and better weather than early June, maybe that's by best bet then, I guess I could do Scotland first the end of may/beginning of June as a warm up for the alps

Thanks for the advice.
2.5se Roadster - First Z

Boogle

Post by Boogle » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:13 pm

I went mid-Sep last year and it was mostly quiet, although the Stelvio pass was packed.

San Bernardino was very quiet - best road I've ever driven on :evil:
Z4 '06 3.0si Sport Silver Grey, Cruise, Aux-Input, Dension, ZHP
Prev: Z4 '57 2.0 Sport Stratus Grey
Soft Top Care Guide

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:46 pm

June is good for Scotland. Warm, and the school holidays don't start until July, so the roads should be fairly clear :thumbsup:
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

mason storm

Post by mason storm » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:52 pm

Cool thanks guys
2.5se Roadster - First Z