Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Video of Z4M on the track

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Video of Z4M on the track

Post by ovrkll » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:10 am

Cool vid of a Z4M on the track! Passes a Z3M and an Acura NSX :D

Corutesy of Z4M PWR over at Bimmerfest.

:thumbsup:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Video ot Z4M on the track

Post by Shipkiller » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:22 am

Good Find. :thumbsup:

Looks like he was getting just a bit antsy trying to overtake the Acura, but then settled down... :driving:
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:49 am

Very nice. :thumbsup:

He is leaving a lot of time on the table in the turns however by entering most turns too early and too hot. By scrubbing just a smidgen more speed just before the turn and waiting a little longer for turn in he could be applying more power sooner on exit as he enters the subsequent straight. When you enter a turn early like he is doing here applying power at apex leaves you with too much power oversteer and he has to lift slightly to keep the back end in check. Lots of fun if sliding the back end is your goal, but the added friction of scrubbing tires and the subsequent throttle lift are in reality braking actions and are costing you speed as you head into the straight.

Still - it's always nice to see laps where the driver remains within his limits and is obviously having a great time.

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray, Black Extended Leather, Dark Birch trim
Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

enfield

Re: Video ot Z4M on the track

Post by enfield » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:16 am

Darn AlanL - you are good!! What you wrote makes a lot of sense to moi!
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:03 am

The most fun I ever had on a track was in a SCCA competition class up near Seattle in Kent many years ago. We used Dodge ACR race prepped Neons for the weekend. No power at all in those suckers so we had to learn to make sure that whatever we did on the track never cost us even 1mph from our rolling speed whether in turns or braking. The one given is that you couldn't gain anything at all by just flooring it on the straights because all of us had identical cars. Every even slight amount of tire scrubbing in a turn or extra braking was speed lost and whoever did it would lose time to the rest of the pack who didn't.

It's an amazing teaching tool compared to our street cars with ABS brakes, traction control systems and lots of power to make us look good no matter how many mistakes we make while we go out to play. I never cease to be amazed at how good the drivers are for something like the Spec Miata class racers where they have a tiny fraction of the power we command in our cars and yet can typically cream us for lap times given their ability to drive clean laps and not lose time with unnecessary pokes at the "go slow" pedal in the middle. I am just another idiot in their shadows when it comes to knowing how to drive well enough for competitive club racing. The most advanced of us participating at track Drivers Events would be struggling to keep up with the back of the pack at best at a SCCA event.

The best part about club Driver Events is the fact that you can just go out and drive for the sake of a nice big grin on your face at the end of the day and everyone who stayed shiny side up goes home a winner.

:yeah:

Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

enfield

Re: Video of Z4M on the track

Post by enfield » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:12 pm

^^^ I have learned a lot through BMW driver training as well as Bridgestone Racing Academy. I was a horrible driver before the courses. Now - I think I may be barely honorable mention.... but even that is a huge improvement. Driving is not easy. I have seen people make very basic mistakes like coasting or changing gears in a turn. I have seen and experiences lift-off oversteer - didn't even know what that was until I was taught. Some idiots like to brake in a corner with interesting results :o

I think everyone should do driver training. By driver training I do not refer to driver's education run by states/provinces/schools. I mean the real deal. I think it should be a licensing requirement!
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:20 pm

ovrkll, great vid :thumbsup:

AlanL, I see what you mean about turning in too early, I know well from my Playstation racing days how hard it can be to resist turning in, but when you do, you really nail it on the exit :)

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:47 pm

Great input Alan! :thumbsup:
The SCCA competition class with everyone in Neons, sounds like a fantastic learning method!!

azroadie

Post by azroadie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:53 pm

WHere's a good place to look for some of these events? Any recommendations?
Supercharged Metallic Grey 2003 2.5i Z4 roadster, Sport, Premium, convenience, DICE Ipod, tinted winows, xenon, heated seats, clear bra, Falken FK452s, Supersprint Race Exhaust, modified CDV, ESS TS2 Supercharger

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:26 pm

Sign up with your friendly local chapter of BMW CCA for starters. They should have an event schedule on their web site and if you go to one you will quite likely run into folks who do this with lots of other clubs and can point you in the right direction.

Also check with websites for the tracks in your area. They often have links to some of the car clubs that use their facility that you can check out as well as schedules for who is using the track and when.

IMZ4N

Post by IMZ4N » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:58 pm

Good find.

That was taken the weekend of ///M-FEST in Las Vegas. Pics and videos still being posted almost 3 weeks after the event.

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:22 pm

Here's another cool vid: :D :driving:

[youtube]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-m3w1vV9jI0&hl ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-m3w1vV9jI0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]

The last 10 seconds is best! :thumbsup:
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:11 pm

Breaker wrote:Here's another cool vid: :D :driving:
Loved the end! :thumbsup:
Great find!
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M