Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Alps Trip Write Up - Guide

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
daveg

Alps Trip Write Up - Guide

Post by daveg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Haven't posted here for a while but got a lot out of the forum when I had my Z4 so wanted to share...

This post is formatted better here.

HD Video up the Susten Pass Here

=Planning Resources=
Having wanted to drive the Alps for years, it took months of planning to get the route right. I wanted to document the trip to help those planning as it is quite a daunting task. By far the best resources used for planning the trip were:

Booking.com – Hotel and B&B reservation with free cancelation.
Alps Passes in Google Maps – A great guide compiled by a biker, includes videos.
Alps B&Bs in Google Maps - A great guide to some cheaper Alps B&Bs.
Pistonheads Road Trip Planning – Useful links and the Forum.
Alpine Roads – The best roads in the Alps!
Alpentourer – Great guide to touring the Alps.

=The Route=
Each pin in the map marks a B&B/Hotel. The trip was planned with a balance between driving miles each day, and time to see some sights in the area visited – this worked well.

View larger map

Day 1: London – Bruges. Set off for Eurotunnel on Friday afternoon after cramming the small boot. Mussels and a beer for dinner in Bruges and a really nice night stay at B&B Huyze Weyne, highly recommended.

Day 2: Baden Baden. A day of motorways in 30 degree sun, finished with a couple of hours at Caracalla Spa and dinner in Baden-Baden (both well worth it). Head to Pension Williams (expat run) for the night on the edge of the B500.

Day 3: Lake Constance. Great day of driving down the B500 through the Black Forest, past the Rhine Falls (Europes largest waterfall and worth seeing) and onto Lake Constance. We stay at Hotel Graf Zeppelin.

Day 4: Stelvio Pass. Swiss border control won’t let us in due to a lost front number plate, so we head back into Germany to have a temporary one made. We enter the Alps, taking in the first mountain passes and end at the top of the Stelvio Pass for a night at Rifugio Garibaldi, an amazing view to wake up to. Well worth staying here.

Day 5: Lavertezzo. After taking in the view of the mountains and Stelvio Pass snaking it’s way up, we make an early start for a day full of mountain passes including Julier Pass and San Bernardino. We arrive at Lavertezzo, a really amazing place and well worth the slight detour. Magical afternoon swimming in the crystal clear mountain river to cool off after the days driving. Comfortable stay and meal at Osteria Vittoria.

Day 6: Meiringen. Drive back past the Contra / Locarno Dam from Goldeneye and onto more mountain passes including St Gotthard Pass and through Andermat to the Susten Pass (video here). We spend the afternoon at the Aare Gorge and a night at Chalet zum Steg.

Day 7: Annecy. Weave our way down past Spiez and Le-Petit-Bornand /Le-Grand-Bornand. When we arrive in Annecy it’s raining and the car’s back end is sliding about on road white lines. Turns out there is no tread left! Stay at Palais de L’Isle.

Day 8: Annecy. A second day in Annecy to have some new rear tyres fitted (only fitted a few weeks before the trip!) and go Canyoning (great fun and a nice day off driving).

Day 9: Reims. Manage to find some nice roads (D396 & D996) but mostly motorway to get home as quickly as possible. Very nice stay at La Grange Champenoise and excellent meal at the local ‘Le Jardin’. Both highly recommended for a memorable night on the way home from the Alps.

Day 10: London. Just motorways home…
Last edited by daveg on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
03 3.0i SE For Sale
Done - P Zero Rosso's | Stubby | 107's | ///M MFSW | ZHP | Cruise | Custom boot/license bulbs | Full circle brake | 330 calipers | EBC Ultimax/Greenstuff | Clear sides rears + 3rd brake | Strut Brace | 4 wheel align

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Alps Trip Write Up - Guide

Post by Darren Slone » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:07 pm

Welcome back daveg, what a lovely gesture :thumbsup:

That looked a fabulous trip, im sure many like me would like to follow in your footsteps :driving:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

daveg

Post by daveg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks Darren, nice car. Always wanted an M in red with CSLs. One day!
03 3.0i SE For Sale
Done - P Zero Rosso's | Stubby | 107's | ///M MFSW | ZHP | Cruise | Custom boot/license bulbs | Full circle brake | 330 calipers | EBC Ultimax/Greenstuff | Clear sides rears + 3rd brake | Strut Brace | 4 wheel align

Paza3

Post by Paza3 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:36 am

Excellent Stuff , looks fantasic! :thumbsup:

VENDAR

Post by VENDAR » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Pretty nice stuff here! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks for that......a great write up and some very useful links.

Did the Susten Pass last year too, albeit by motorbike. What a stunning location :thumbsup:

The hotel/digs links are great to keep for future use, thanks again :thumbsup:

Lance

CoupeAli

Post by CoupeAli » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:21 pm

Thank you for posting a comprehensive and inspiring guide to your trip.
What was the rough cost for the ten days?
3.0Si Sport Coupe ~ SOLD

daveg

Post by daveg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks for the comments guys, hotel in Reims is a gem for the way home. Will definitely be back to the one on Stelvio Pass and Brugge too.

We budgeted around £100 per night for hotels, £500 petrol and £500 spending money. Lunch was usually bread and cheese / ham on the road, dinner at the hotel or local restaurant.

So it was give or take £2000, split between me and my girlfriend. Doesn't include breakdown cover or wear and tear, but nearly everything else. Could be done cheaper if less picky where you stay and drive slower ;)
03 3.0i SE For Sale

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:01 am

Great write up. When you did the pics, did you click the thumbnail link instead of the main image link as the pics come up tiny on my iPad :?
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:03 am

Fantastic trip Dave - I might copy your route this year

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention