Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Updated ///M residual info

"M" Specific discussion
Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:47 pm

surely because it was overpriced from day 1 ?

taffy

Post by taffy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:19 pm

Yes I'd agree with that

zformula

Post by zformula » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:58 pm

Not quite as bad as the M6 - some of these have lost over £20K in 6 months!!

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:59 pm

I posted the original thread really just because there had been several discussions on Z4um and Zed-cars prior to them going offline, and wanted to update people (particularly those with existing Select agreements) as to the current BMW position on residuals for Select - and certainly not to piss on anyone's chips who already owns an ///M.

:cheers:

The complaint that I personally have is with BMW UK really, the ///M residuals have had the effect of pushing down the whole range. Several people on here/other forums bypassed the 3.0Si and got a used ///M instead, therefore lowering demand for the 3.0Si - this lower demand for 3.0Si then having an impact on older/other cars too.

BMW have registered so many cars themselves, whether as management cars or dealer demos, that supply is far outstripping demand, and has done for some time. Although I had a trade price agreed with my Merc dealer, I sold my Z4 today to a local dealer for a bit more cash, and £500 more than I was offered against a £34k ///M by a dealer I had been speaking with for the last 4 months - I know that low part-ex prices and deluded opinions of what their own cars are worth are not mutually exclusive to BMW, but even still, I expected a better deal on that car than I got by walking in off the street to another dealer, without buying something else from them.

Anyway - two weeks on Autotrader/Pistonheads without a single call, despite being the cheapest 2005 car on there. So £17,500 for a 25 month old car with a list price new of £35k including options. That's my last word on Z4 depreciation, as I am going to be the unofficial "Other marques" aficionado (well, once sp3ctre sets it up) :thumbsup:

Top pup

Post by Top pup » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:51 pm

JayD wrote:
Top pup wrote:I don't get all this depreciation fuss.
Depreciation on cars is much higher now than it ever used to be, and I don't really think the Z4Ms are doing any worse than a lot of other cars in this respect.
Go and have a look for a three year old Porsche Boxster on Autotrader, you can pick one up for pretty much half price and the Boxsters have always had about the lowest depreciation going.
I'm pretty sure the Z4Ms will manage 50% when there three years old.
I am with you on this one mate. Ok so there has been a massive drop and yes you will get stung now if you sold but I and I am sure you planned to keep your car for 3 years plus. I think it will level out and go the way of the Z3M's.
Your right Jay I plan to keep my car for at least a couple of years, after all why go to the trouble of specing the car just as you want it if your not going to get the benefit?
I think the prices will go the way of the Z3MCs in the end as well. I have been keeping an eye on Z3MC prices since the start of 2006 and IMO they have stopped depreciating and if anything have started to go back up in price.

Top pup

Post by Top pup » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:10 pm

Wondermike wrote:I posted the original thread really just because there had been several discussions on Z4um and Zed-cars prior to them going offline, and wanted to update people (particularly those with existing Select agreements) as to the current BMW position on residuals for Select - and certainly not to piss on anyone's chips who already owns an ///M.

:cheers:
No probs Wondermike I haven't got a problem with the discussion, it would be nice if the residuals were better but I knew buying an M was going to be throwing money away.
The complaint that I personally have is with BMW UK really, the ///M residuals have had the effect of pushing down the whole range. Several people on here/other forums bypassed the 3.0Si and got a used ///M instead, therefore lowering demand for the 3.0Si - this lower demand for 3.0Si then having an impact on older/other cars too.
Your quite correct, but did you realise this also has an effect on other makes of cars in the same category?

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:23 pm

Cheers Top Pup, I think you're right about other cars, I'm not expecting miracles from my SLK either, they've been around for 3 years now and will have been mildly facelifted before I sell mine, but I'm hoping (hoping!!) to do OK out of it.

Unbelievably, there is a guy on TT-forum who has traded a new TT coupe against a new one for £1500 less than he paid list price (including options) and it will be 12 months old when the new one arrives. Talk about supply & demand :roll:

Top pup

Post by Top pup » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:32 pm

Your right with the TTs but I reckon they will drop VERY quickly once supply catches up with demand, after all look how much the old shape ones have dropped now.