Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Quick question about the Intravee switch

g1344304

Quick question about the Intravee switch

Post by g1344304 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:55 am

Just want to confirm that if I buy the intravee switch I will be able to connect an Ipod AND keep my 6 cd changer connected?

Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: Quick question about the Intravee switch

Post by Bing » Wed May 01, 2013 10:56 am

Nope - the Intravee uses the loom from the CD changer :(

You can still use the single CD in the head unit though :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

g1344304

Post by g1344304 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:59 am

Darn, just got my cd changer unjammed (after a month of trying) and not sure whether to get the intravee after all.

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Wed May 01, 2013 12:39 pm

I thought you could stuill use it if you got one of the Intravee switch units, allows up to 3 things to be connected.

It is halfway down this page: http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/intravee.html
Non-BMW owner, here on behalf of the wifes "every day car", her Z4.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed May 01, 2013 12:43 pm

It is the Alpine unit that allows additional hardware to be attached - and reading through it they need to be Alpine AiNET devices. You definitely need to use the CD changer loom, and unplugging it stops it working because it is no longer powered or connected to the head unit.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Wed May 01, 2013 1:08 pm

Bing wrote:It is the Alpine unit that allows additional hardware to be attached - and reading through it they need to be Alpine AiNET devices. You definitely need to use the CD changer loom, and unplugging it stops it working because it is no longer powered or connected to the head unit.
Glad someone knows the a more correct answer.
I knew i remembered reading somewhere in the Intravee/Alpine that more than one could be used with another box, i just guessed the wrong one.
Non-BMW owner, here on behalf of the wifes "every day car", her Z4.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed May 01, 2013 1:33 pm

You have reached the limit of my technical expertise, but pleased to be of assistance :D

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed May 01, 2013 1:49 pm

Don't listen to Bing, he is talking out of his arse :poke:
(unless that what Bing was trying to say)

The intravee switch will allow you to connect three inputs, such as a CD changer (might need to be alpine), KCA-420i (iPod) and a alpine DAB unit.

Normal Intravee still required though.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed May 01, 2013 2:57 pm

srhutch wrote:Don't listen to Bing, he is talking out of his arse :poke:
(unless that what Bing was trying to say)

The intravee switch will allow you to connect three inputs, such as a CD changer (might need to be alpine), KCA-420i (iPod) and a alpine DAB unit.

Normal Intravee still required though.
To quote myself Mr Hutch...
Bing wrote:It is the Alpine unit that allows additional hardware to be attached - and reading through it they need to be Alpine AiNET devices. You definitely need to use the CD changer loom, and unplugging it stops it working because it is no longer powered or connected to the head unit.
If you read the page you can indeed connect an Alpine CD changer, plus Intravee plus A N Other Alpine unit. The Intravee is not AiNET, so I got that bit slightly wrong... Point is, you cannot continue to use the OEM CD changer, right ?

Talking out my arse indeed :roll: :P

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Wed May 01, 2013 3:03 pm

An Intravee is a gateway device - it hooks into the car's iBus using the existing CD changer connections and allows the connection of Alpine Ai-Net devices

The Intravee alone will allow the connection of a single Ai-Net device such as the Alpine KCA-420i (the iPod adapter)

The Intravee Switch allows you to connect multiple Alpine Ai-Net devices to your Intravee - so one of those could be an Alpine CD changer (although I fail to see the point if you have an iPod connected)

If it helps, imagine the Intravee as a single USB port in a laptop, you can only connect a single USB device to that port.
The Intravee switch is then like a USB hub with multiple sockets, you connect the hub to the USB port in the laptop and then plug multiple USB devices into the hub and the laptop can see them all
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed May 01, 2013 4:06 pm

Ah, different things then... But still limited to Alpine 'accessories', not OEM right ?

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Wed May 01, 2013 4:33 pm

Bing wrote:Ah, different things then... But still limited to Alpine 'accessories', not OEM right ?
Yes, OEM equipment is iBus (on E85/6 cars), Intravee provides a way to plug Ai-Net equipment into the car - you can't plug the OEM changer into the Ai-Net side of the Intravee
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

g1344304

Post by g1344304 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks for all the info chaps, I did of mean the OEM cd changer, I doubt I'd buy and alpine one. Since my cd changer is working now I might just get an aux cable instead for my iphone 4s, anything to look out for with them?