Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Upgrading the Carver Subwoofers

adamgritz

Upgrading the Carver Subwoofers

Post by adamgritz » Fri May 11, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi all

Purchased myself an 06 Z4M Coupe with DSP and I love it! ...but I don't love the sound system, coming from an Audi with B&O is a massive shock, wonder if anyone has any ideas to help...

Generally i'm not happy with the subs, i can appreciate that they are small and the nature of the size is limited with regards to how low they go but generally the overall bass of the subs is muddy and if they do go low they sound shite!

Is there any tips for upgrading? Been thinking of dynamatting the hell out of the box but not sure how much better that will make them..

I've seen that JL Audio do some 6.5" 8ohm subs and was wondering whether they would would work with the existing Amp even thou the Carver's are 10 ohm and more importantly would it sound better!?

Any ideas....

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Upgrading the Carver Subwoofers

Post by Adamski » Fri May 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Have you played with the settings? Sounds basic, but it can make all the difference....

There are a few threads on the sounds settings. Can't think of any threads specifically relating to updatign the woofers only, without incurring significant expense

EDIT - just spotted this is your first post. It's obligatory to post some pics of your new car in the newbies section :)

DO IT :thumbsup:
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

adamgritz

Post by adamgritz » Sat May 12, 2012 10:31 am

Yeah, I've played around with all the settings until my finger was raw! Lol. I've got the settings just right but the bass from the subs isn't right at all.

I have noticed that the subs take some time to warm up so I'm thinking that there just old but still wOuld like to change them

rG-tom

Post by rG-tom » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:04 pm

did you ever get an answer to this pal?

I am also looking at either upgrading the carver 6.5" subs or supplementing with a discreet boot enclosure, and obviously an amp...
2003 E85 3.0 Grey w/ Red
Factory: Heated Memory seats, DSP, Prof. Nav, TV, Cruise, Bi-Xenons, PDC, Cruise Control, Wind Diffuser
Mods: Gaptech RCH+, MSport Mfunction Steering Wheel, ZHP Stubby knob, black gaitors