Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How annoying? (some of the dealer slagging unwarranted )

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Rialas

Re: How annoying? (Warning, gratuitous dealer slagging conte

Post by Rialas » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:59 pm

mmm-five wrote:Among other things, the items below are listed on the Inspection 1 checklist...
BMW Inspection 1 wrote:
  • Remove and install front and rear disc brake pads, check overall thickness. Record results.
  • Clean brake pad contact points in calipers.
  • Grease wheel centering hubs.
Don't know how they do any of those points without removing the wheel. Really makes you wonder how incompetent BMW dealers are :headbang:

I have never ever heard of having to remove the pads to check thickness. In fact that's the last thing you want to be doing as you'll upset the bedding of the pads.

Pads are clearly visible without wheel removal (well on an M).

Besides I'd rather a dealer didn't remove my wheels unless necessary as they'll probably scratch the rims in the process.

Talksthetorque

Re: How annoying? (some of the dealer slagging unwarranted )

Post by Talksthetorque » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:27 pm

What about disk thickness?

Atacama_Steve

Post by Atacama_Steve » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:35 am

Interesting topic of conversation..... It's quite sad that some of you do not trust dealers.... I work for one and some of the aforementioned points would NEVER happen on my watch.....

CornishRob

Post by CornishRob » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:46 am

Atacama_Steve wrote:Interesting topic of conversation..... It's quite sad that some of you do not trust dealers.... I work for one and some of the aforementioned points would NEVER happen on my watch.....
Are you a tech? Which do you work at?
Current: 2007 Titanium Silver Z4MC - For Sale End of Feb
Previous: 2002 Land Rover Defender 90

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:36 am

Strangly enough i lost my own locking key recently... Swapping over my winter wheels i think i left it on the last bolt :headbang:

I went to the dealer who had to get his box of about 25 of the things to find my one... And then i had to come back with my V5 to get it... And it was £12!

Stratstones in Derby.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Atacama_Steve

Post by Atacama_Steve » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:25 am

CornishRob wrote:
Atacama_Steve wrote:Interesting topic of conversation..... It's quite sad that some of you do not trust dealers.... I work for one and some of the aforementioned points would NEVER happen on my watch.....
Are you a tech? Which do you work at?
Service manager for Hailsham.......

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:33 am

I think for me it might not so much be lack of trust, but lack of faith already. With my recent outings ... To ask them on more than four occasions to check the wheel balancing whilst they go on a wild goose chasing the fault, keep it for 3 weeks, return it , still have the problem , transpires to be the wheel balancing just seems incompetent. I felt like the idiot asking them each visit if they'd test driven it / checked the wheels. Never mind !

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:20 pm

Atacama_Steve wrote:Service manager for Hailsham.......
Maybe you can answer this little conundrum I have then.

When I pick my car up after somw work, be it a service or warranty work, I'm normally asked how everything has been.

At this point of the conversation (i.e. when I'm paying/collecting) I assume everything that should have been done has been done, so my reply is that everything has been fine.

A week later I receive a courtesy call asking the same question, and by then I've had time to check the car over to see if everything's been done (e.g. checking that the air filter is a new one, and that the cam cover gasket has not been re-used through my liberal application of engineer blue or UV pen/paint).

If I say that everything is fine, then I receive a BMW customer survey form to praise the dealership.

If I, for example, say that the dealer ballsed-up everything and I'll see them in court (neither of which I've actually said), then I NEVER receive the follow-up BMW survey.

Considering these are supposed to reflect the general dealer experience, how can only asking for customer replies when the dealer knows the experience has been good leave me with any faith in the ratings that the dealerships gain through this method?

Personally, I just say everything has been good and then fill in the survey with my negative comments :evil:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options