Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help - have I made an expensive mistake?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Rialas

Re: Help - have I made an expensive mistake?

Post by Rialas » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:24 pm

Are you experiencing this problem on track
or on the road.
Can't see how it's possible to get the traction control light to come on at 70mph, whilst on the road, even with new tyres.
What's your definition of slight bend.

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:32 pm

If you rear tyres were really low on tread, I've heard before that the DSC might need reset to take into account the rolling radius from old to new tyres....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

DevonZ4

Post by DevonZ4 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:17 pm

Thanks all - I'll try dropping the tyre pressure and give it another week to see if they bed in better.

Tyre tread on the rears was low - to the wear bars but not actually illegal - I only changed them as I have my MOT coming up in a few weeks and knew they'd probably be close to the limit by then.

70 mph was on a road (dual carriageway) not on a track - the bend is a bend you'd be more than happy to take in excess of 30mph faster and not really have cause for concern. Practically every bend I went round on that stretch of dual carriageway at 70 mph caused the traction control light to come on. In fact I've been round bends faster and considerably sharper and in the wet and never had the traction control light come on before.

Cheers for your replies - I'll keep you posted as to how they feel in the week.

andy6409

Post by andy6409 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:52 am

I had this when I first fitted Kumho ecsta's . They never felt dangerous but the traction light would flash if I cornered a bit enthusiastically
They are now perfect wet or dry
Titanium 3.0 . 108's . aero kit with Alpina front spoiler .Eibachs . AE headlamps . clear tail lights,centre brake light and repeaters . stubby . ZHP

lukez4

Post by lukez4 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:35 am

I had this issue with my 325 sport couple years ago, had a front and rear tyre replaced but because the mv2s are staggered the dopey mechanic but the rear on the front and the front on the rear, that was causing me to have the same issue and it was till I took both rear tyres off I then realised what the issue was

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

DevonZ4

Post by DevonZ4 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:00 pm

Just to give some closure to this - I changed the fronts to Kumhos too (non run flats) and it has totally solved the problem. It feels like a new car!

So basically if you're planning on going from run flats to non run flats - my advice is to change them all at the same time.

Thanks everyone for your input and help.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:03 pm

I usually have 36 on the rear and 33 on the front. Pretty sure the stock pressures with RFTs are quite a bit higher though... Seem to remember 38 or 39 rear and 36 front ?
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...