Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Change of alloys

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
MartynFrancis

Change of alloys

Post by MartynFrancis » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:08 pm

I'm considering changing my alloys. I have a 2.5i on standard springs, with 18" m3 alloys. I really like the csl's, especially in anthrecite after a bit of googling what they'd look like on a sterling grey zed.

Now, for the time being I'm not going to change the springs (I understand eibach's are favorites) but what would the ride be like on 19"s?
Silver 3.0si auto with flappy paddles and loving it! :driving: MM tips

Sterling grey 2.5i gap tech rch goodyear eagle F1, parrot MKi9100..... Stubby...... Written off :(

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Change of alloys

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:38 pm

MartynFrancis wrote:I'm considering changing my alloys. I have a 2.5i on standard springs, with 18" m3 alloys. I really like the csl's, especially in anthrecite after a bit of googling what they'd look like on a sterling grey zed.

Now, for the time being I'm not going to change the springs (I understand eibach's are favorites) but what would the ride be like on 19"s?
A 100% better if you ditch the runflats :thumbsup:

Terryvision
Lifer
Lifer

Change of alloys

Post by Terryvision » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:43 pm

I've just fitted 19's and the ride is much much better than on 18's with run flats!

I was going to lower but I've decided mine looks and feels ok without having too!

It's like having a new car all over again... :)

Last edited by Terryvision on Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MartynFrancis

Post by MartynFrancis » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:44 pm

I am planning to when the current tyres need replacing. I've read it makes a massive difference and stops the gremlins in the steering at speed. Lol!

Will it be a lot harsher ride on 19s csl's?

Edit, just seen your post. What are those alloys, they're a bit tasty too...

Sterling grey 2.5i gap tech rch goodyear eagle F1, parrot MKi9100..... Stubby...... Written off :(

Terryvision
Lifer
Lifer

Change of alloys

Post by Terryvision » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:46 pm

MartynFrancis wrote:I am planning to when the current tyres need replacing. I've read it makes a massive difference and stops the gremlins in the steering at speed. Lol!

My 19's are 313's & are perfectly fine, no tramlining and much smoother on the road! I was totally surprised how different the car is... Do it :poke:

MartynFrancis

Post by MartynFrancis » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:53 pm

You know what, when I joined this forum I said I'd not modify my car as I know nothing really about cars..... However since then I've (very carefully) fitted a rch+ unit! and the elusive stubby. My alloys aren't curbed, but they've oxidized slightly, which makes me want new alloys! 313's are nice!

MartynFrancis

Post by MartynFrancis » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:25 pm

Terryvision wrote:
MartynFrancis wrote:I am planning to when the current tyres need replacing. I've read it makes a massive difference and stops the gremlins in the steering at speed. Lol!

My 19's are 313's & are perfectly fine, no tramlining and much smoother on the road! I was totally surprised how different the car is... Do it :poke:
Wowzers, just had a look at the cost of 313s. Ouch, my wife lets me do whatever I want most of the time but they're a lot of moolah! My gonads would be majorly ripped off!

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:30 pm

MartynFrancis wrote:
Terryvision wrote:

Wow zeros, just had a look at the cost of 313s. Ouch, my wife lets me do whatever I want most of the time but they're a lot of moolah! My gonads would be majorly ripped off!
Jonny Essex has a mint set of the 313 19inch reps in black for sale / £340 :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

MartynFrancis

Post by MartynFrancis » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:38 pm

They are a mega price and look great but I'm not keen on the black if I'm being honest. Thanks though :thumbsup:

GP06Roadster

Post by GP06Roadster » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:14 pm

IMHO Eibachs have had no adverse effect on the ride quality of my car. I had M sport springs previously though.

19" wheels without a doubt have a slightly more crashy ride over bumps and pot holes though. On good surfaces there is no real difference in ride quality.

Go for it :thumbsup:
E86 3.0si Manual