Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Tyre Bedding In period? Car Feels Almost Dangerous

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
mariojoshi

New Tyre Bedding In period? Car Feels Almost Dangerous

Post by mariojoshi » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:32 pm

Evening all,

I've done a bit of searching on this and there seem to be some mixed opinions on running in periods for tyres.

I've had plenty of new tyres on cars before - and never really experienced any issues at all - but the Zed is, to be fair, the only true high performance sports car that I've ever owned - so this may make the issue more obvious.

My car had Continental Sport Contact tyres all round when I got her about 6 weeks ago - the rears were pretty much on the wear bars, and as we're off on a 2000mile road trip around Europe in a month or so, I wanted to get tyres sorted and "run in" if needs be well in advance.

I only really use the car on the weekend and have only probably put about 350miles on her since the tyre swap - which was to the highly recommended Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta.

At low speeds, not a problem - loads of grip, turn in and power out - all good.

At higher speeds, it almost feels like the car's back end is sliding around almost over marbles. If pushing on down dual carrigeways etc at speeds that we all know a Zed can do with its eyes shut, standing on its head.... the car feels almost dangerous and the traction control light is flashing away.

I've tried taking the pressures down from 36 to 33 PSI - but no difference.
Do I just need to wait this one out?!

My plan was to change the front tyres to Vreds as well, once they need replacing - and I haven't had any wheel alignment/tracking done since I've had the car (just FYI)

Any help greatly appreciated,
Josh
Daily: BMW 320d M Sport Plus Touring
Weekend: Porsche 996 Carrera 4S with GT2 Kit

Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: New Tyre Bedding In period? Car Feels Almost Dangerous

Post by Bing » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:46 pm

Put Vreds on my (previous) Z recently - I did a lot of steady commute miles, but I reckon they took 500/600 miles before they were properly scrubbed in. Don't worry, they're ace tyres. Just give them a little longer :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

mariojoshi

Post by mariojoshi » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:54 pm

Thanks Bing - that's reassuring!

I think I probably notice it more since I only use the car to enjoy driving... so tend to drive far more 'aggressively' (I don't mean toward other road users!) than I would do in my daily.

What pressures did you run out of interest?

Thanks,
Josh

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:56 pm

36 on the rear, 33 on the front. But many run lower pressures, so I think it's really down to personal preference. Just have a play :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:59 pm

I did notice my goodyears took a while to ''bed in'', probably about the same distance that Bing said. They are now fantastic.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

mariojoshi

Post by mariojoshi » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:45 pm

Thanks chaps - seeing another user having the same issue with completely different tyres has reassured me somewhat.

Hope to report back soon with some more positive information, as at the moment... I'm got no confidence in the poor old gal!

Josh