Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dice Install - How To

azroadie

Re: Dice Install - How To

Post by azroadie » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:27 pm

Aebous wrote:Sorry I know this doesn't apply technically but how is the display on a non sat nav car? Will I still only get half the song titles and not be able to browse through them?

On a side note, I thought everyone worked best with their hands in tight places where they couldn't see anything 8)
I don't have the satnav an LOVE my DICE unit. Honestly from what people are say, not sure I'd it with the satnav. Without it though, I love it! I see the song title and artist (from the MP3 ID tags) so it's perfect for me.
zee42 wrote:I never have understood what the big deal is about the dice install!!!!! I installed mine in about 15 seconds
This varies greatly by how you did your install. I wanted a very pro looining install. Mine was EXTREMELY difficult as it required removal of the center console...i think the seats too, cant remember. But I didn't do it, the dealer did. They estimate 2 hours work, but took 3-4...And I watched him do it, It looked painful. The whole car looked like it was apart!!! Fortunately they, only charged me for two hours :-) But I have mine mounted in that center console, not the glove box. So while I'm driving I can flip down down the center console and see my Ipod mount there and easily control things while driving.

Additionally, I have my unit mounted in the speaker well for easy acess should I have to replace the unti...which I have...going on 2 times now!!
Supercharged Metallic Grey 2003 2.5i Z4 roadster, Sport, Premium, convenience, DICE Ipod, tinted winows, xenon, heated seats, clear bra, Falken FK452s, Supersprint Race Exhaust, modified CDV, ESS TS2 Supercharger

DHK

Re:

Post by DHK » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:44 pm

senwar wrote:
kal wrote:i have an ipod interface in my Z from BMW but i hate it cuz i can't search for the song i want :x
You'll be disappointed with the dice then too.

The display its pretty worthless - either full screen with partial song display in the top left hand corner, or split screen with track number on the left, and Nav text data on the right.

Also, you can't easily scroll through your playlists, and at the end of a playlist it just repeats the last track as opposed to starting it again.

And finally, it takes over your screen - you get about 5 seconds on the other screens only before it reverts back to the ipod data.

Very poor unit in my opinion.
+1
2004 Olivine Green | Sport/Premium | Sat Nav | Paddle shifters | Dice iPod | Heated Electric Seats | Clear rear/side lights | 19" CSL/FL452 |

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:06 am

Do yourself a favor and go check out Intravee as an alternative. I have DICE and don't even bother with using the car controls to manipulate the device because it's so useless as an interface.

I still might just dump the DICE and install Intravee myself to get back to an interface that more closely resembles the Alpine one I had in my previous car.

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray, Black Extended Leather, Dark Birch trim
Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

DHK

Post by DHK » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:18 am

= DICE HD vs. Intravee II =

[youtube]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZTG22HWPZ5A&hl ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZTG22HWPZ5A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]
2004 Olivine Green | Sport/Premium | Sat Nav | Paddle shifters | Dice iPod | Heated Electric Seats | Clear rear/side lights | 19" CSL/FL452 |

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:24 am

Seems simple as a contrast - would you rather have useful control of your iPod from your car controls or get distracted trying to fiddle with your iPod while driving. The one given is that neither interface is a perfect replica of your original iPod controls, but trying to read an iPod screen while you are driving on a busy interstate is not an especially bright plan.

Sort of like a choice of doing surgery with a 2 x 4 or a scalpel in my mind. Wanna buy my DICE?

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray, Black Extended Leather, Dark Birch trim
Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

DHK

Post by DHK » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:45 am

AlanL wrote:Sort of like a choice of doing surgery with a 2 x 4 or a scalpel in my mind. Wanna buy my DICE?
+1
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yea, I'm definitely going to buy Intravee II and sell my Dice. The Dice is absolutely horrible with the navigation unit. It was OK with the regular radio setup but with nav. :thumbsdown:

ZetaTre

Post by ZetaTre » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:05 am

When I read the title of the tread I said to myself: "don't you just hang them on the rear view mirror?" :headbang: :headbang:

2003 Z4 2.5i
2004 X3 3.0i
2002 Ducati Monster S4

systemr

Post by systemr » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:25 am

how the hell do you get the ipod cable through to the trunk? there doesn't appear to be enough clearance between the bottom of the center console and the bottom of the pass through area. i even tired using a screw driver to get a little extra clearance, no go.

i tried it today with a s-video cable, which i'm told is the same size.

btw my trunk looks like this"